Disposing of Old 2-Cycle Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fellin Feller

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'd like to dispose of older mixed gas that I don't use. I figure this is a common problem, we mix a can of gas-oil and end up not using the whole can.
I don't want to dump it into ground. Any good ways to get rid of old gas?

As a home owner:
Use it, diluted in a more resilient engine (my 4 stroke Tecumseh lawn mower is first choice)
Sometimes, I need to clean carbs and peripheral components, and choose old (but not contaminated) fuel.

My 40:1 mix that was fresh, and just pulled from my drained-for-winter saws, went straight into my snowblower for season startup, so I don't get to have old mix fuel sitting around for a season. I did avoid pouring in the last teaspoon with saw dust in it.

I run old premix in my lawn mower or wood splitter. The truck is fairly new with FI and catcons (and costs more to fix) so running it there is the last choice. But when I have, I have not noticed any problem.

I filter the gas I'm pouring out of saws in case it got sawdust in it.

Mine goes into the truck, boat (GM 350) or mower. Doesn't hurt a thing, in fact, I usually put some ATF or 2T oil into my boat gas anyway to keep the TBI injector tooting along.

I pour mine over my firewood stack. Increases the BTUs come winter time.
Nice idea, but I never get that much of it. So, it rests in a capped glass jar until needed. It would be a heckuva firewood lighter after it soaks in and sets for awhile. Might even kill a few ants and repel the rodents.

Nice idea, but I never get that much of it. So, it rests in a capped glass jar until needed. It would be a heckuva firewood lighter after it soaks in and sets for awhile. Might even kill a few ants and repel the rodents.
Yep. Started doing it after finding some termites in a load of dead logs I brought home. Those things are pretty tough though.

Take the lid off a five gallon bucket dump it in and set it in the sun, it'll be gone in no time. of course dont toss out that cigarillo as you drive by it. lol

If it is really rank with the snot-like stuff from E-10 I save it for starting brush pile burns.

If it is just old it goes into a tank full of gas in my 1940s Ford N tractor. It will run on just about anything, but the the E10 snot will clog up the carb. That carb is cast iron, steel, and brass; no aluminum, so the E10 snot does not corrode it like happens in saw or most auto carbs. The tractors fuel system also has a clear glass sediment bowl so if any water separates, you can see it and dump it.

Latest posts

Back