Disposing of Old 2-Cycle Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha no doubt!!!!! That's funny. Been 35+ years since I had the joy of pushing one of those
Wish I had some joyful memories! :cry: Dad had lush grass and wanted it bagged. This model was rear wheel self propelled and didn't work worth crap. Previous Lawn Boy was one of those neat little red and green ones.
Lawn Boy.jpg

Wow! what an incredible pic!!! I had the green front discharge super early 80's model.
Hey thanks! My dad was into photography so lots of neat pics to look back on. I made the mistake of running that little red and green mower engine without a muffler. It sounded so bad ass fast that I decided to use it on a bicycle frame minibike I was building. It turned out to be so under powered that I had to run along beside it to get it moving. What a waste of time, but that's how we learn.

Taking pictures before the camera phone was a big deal. Now we take pictures for granted these days or get lost deleted erased when a phone breaks or gets upgraded. I have old 35mm film rolls and it's a pain to find place to get developed.

With 91 octane no ethanol gas at the pump (Arkansas), 2 oz Startron, and 3 oz Seafoam in 5 gallons, old gas is a thing of the past. If there's any question, it goes into the 2010 Rav4 without any noticeable adverse effect. Readily available no ethanol gas is one of the advantages of Red State living.

Ethanol free fuel and a mix oil with a fuel stabilizer is the key. I only mix a gallon or two at a time, just to keep the fuel mix fresh. I'd rather mix often than dump fuel.
Every now an then I'll come across an old saw that had ancient fuel mixed with castor oil. The smell is just plain nasty. I won't even consider using that bad smelling stuff for cleaning parts. and it goes into the old motor oil jug to make brush pile starting fuel.

I save, and collect from the neighbors, old gas.
There is no better solvent than gasoline for de-crudding engine parts,
And I bought a pump sprayer thats hydrocarbon safe, to spray it on those wire grass weeds that grow with a vengeance.
Its a light spray and our master gardener once stated thats its safer than roundup in the long term.
Bobmo
That's what I do for the stuff too far gone to burn in the plow truck. Still cuts grease better than anything, and is much cheaper than a can of brake cleaner.

The proper way to dispose of gasoline is as simple as a few simple steps:
  1. Put the gasoline in a government approved container,
  2. Find a local disposal site by calling your county or city waste management,
  3. Dispose of the bad gasoline at an approved disposal site.

I'd like to dispose of older mixed gas that I don't use. I figure this is a common problem, we mix a can of gas-oil and end up not using the whole can.
I don't want to dump it into ground. Any good ways to get rid of old gas?
Pour it into yer car won’t hurt it I make sure I have 8-9 gallons in the car tank

I dump it in my lawn tractor and inhale the exhaust fumes. Actually, it's the simplest way to get rid of it. The worst that can happen is a small bit of oil on the spark plug, and mineral spirits will zip that right off.

I run old premix in my lawn mower or wood splitter. The truck is fairly new with FI and catcons (and costs more to fix) so running it there is the last choice. But when I have, I have not noticed any problem.

I filter the gas I'm pouring out of saws in case it got sawdust in it.
I put mine in the lawn mower as well or pressure washer 4 stroke will run it just fine as long as there’s no water or trash in it

Here in bulgaria I went into our local hardware store to get preservative for the fence posts when we built a fence round a small paddock for the horse, it caused quite stir, presrvative in bulgaria means condoms.Bitumen is cheap here so I have got a barrel with bitumen,old oil and all my old petrol mix, great for standing the fence posts in to soak.

How much extra 2 cycle gas are you guys dealing with? Just mix up 1 gallon at a time and use it. Can't imagine you can't use up one gallon of fuel in a year, and if you can't, there really shouldn't be enough left over to make any difference mixed into a full tank of fuel in a car, regardless of it's age. Really, if a person goes through less than a gallon of 2 cycle fuel in an entire year, they might want to think about just going battery powered, or even corded electric for that matter.

Back