Do I bleed log spliter hydraulic system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAYINTOMBALL

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am about to fill up my HYD tank and try the splitter for the first time. I have primed the pump and was wondering do i need to bleed the air some how? Or on open center will it bleed itself into the tank? Thanks Ray

As long as the pump is primed just run the engine at 1/3 speed while operating control valve to full extend then full retract. Check hydraulic fluid level then cycle cylinder a few more times.

After about 6 cycles if the cylinder moves smoothly check fluid level again . If fluid looks good runs at full RPM and split some wood.

Take the spark plug out put the hydralic handle in the split position pull starter rope till it gets to end. Throw handle so it returns . Put spark plug back in. Ready to go . You just dont want any air in the pump & it wont like the serge.

Take the spark plug out put the hydralic handle in the split position pull starter rope till it gets to end. Throw handle so it returns . Put spark plug back in. Ready to go . You just dont want any air in the pump & it wont like the serge.

I 2nd that

if the tanks above dont worry if its below open the output on the pump and crank the engine by hand without the sparkplug till you see oil then go as normal. pigpen

These operate similarly to the large industrial hydraulic systems I worked with for so many years at the paper mill.

With the supply higher than the suction of the pump there can be no air in there anyway so no problem there.
The filter should be on the return line to the tank and will fill right away so no problem there.
The neutral center position on the valve bank will allow oil to fill all the lines and the filters before you even get the choke off and the speed set let alone check for leaks so no problem there.
The cylinder will purge all the air during normal cycling. Just follow triptester's advice. Can't believe you won't try it back and forth a few times with a :censored: -eating grin on your face before you even remember you should put a log in there.

You will have no problems. Bleeding of lines is needed with dead-end systems like your brakes on the car. There is no way for air to get out unless you let it out because there isn't a separate return line.

Have fun. You deserve it. :clap:

Back