Do I need to cut down the remaining part of a split Locust Tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG055

Reaction score
I have a mature Locust Tree (30') that recently split. When I bought the house the tree looked like one trunk. The trunk of the tree was actually in two sections that grew tightly together. One section composed about 70% of the girth. Each section then sprouted two main branch sections. The part that was about 30% of the tree girth has snapped off. There is approximately 18 inches of exposed tissue about 10 inches wide and 6 inches from the bottom of the tree. This open part of the tree is bright hard wood. There is no visible rot. My assumption is; not knowing the configuration of the tree base, we let the 30% part grow as big as or bigger than the 70% part and it couldn't support the weight. The part of the tree that is still standing looks great. The entire root system was untouched. Can I dress the exposed tissue somehow and leave the 70% part standing, or should I take down the entire tree?

Pictures would help. If the break is clean and there isn't a bunch of splintered wood (locust often do spilt cleanly) then it will probably live a long life and close over the wound eventually.

Justin's right, as far as we can :Eye: without a picture. You'll also want to have the bottom of the tear trimmed to promote water shedding and closure.

Part of the formula to figure out if it is a hazard is what it will hit if it does fall and how much traffic is around the tree.
The remaining tree is probably not a whole lot weaker than it was before, but depending on a few variables, it may loose strength in years to come. So if there is a sandbox, swing set, picnic table, or other things that attract human traffic, there needs to be some special consideration. Perhaps something as simple as moving the picnic table to the side of the tree away from the lean.
As mentioned, pictures would be a big help.

Thank you all for the insightful comments. I am sorry that I don't have pictures, because I know that would have been a great aid in helping you to help me. All I can say is that in my ignorant opinion, tha part of the tree still standing is straight as an arrow and solid. I was going to leave it up, and your comments have made that decision easier for me. Thanks again, I feel better knowing that the tree will live on.

hello, i had real high locust here in pa.i found mine had black ants inside..sadly, i got rid of them..limbs were always falling down in wind.i got tired of that to.i dont think they are best tree to have near a home..take care

House I was at had a black locust; owner liked it because it was different, but he had toddlers and those thorny root suckers were a pain. nOt the best tree for the yard, great in other spots. Dea dbranches falling are easily managed; just get them pruned every few years.

Back