Do loggers really cut "200 trees/day"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at current lumber prices, someone is making tons of money. It isn't the stores though. They just mark it up a certain percentage. I'm guessing some of the big mills are making bank.

In fuel - seems the refineries are making a killing now? I heard Shell just posted a tripling of profits? They are the big refiner I think. Crazy days.
Warehouser is capitalizing on lumber prices too I believe.

The lumber companies are the ones with the 300-500% annual profits. Not the retailers and certainly not the fallers.

We were paid by the load, not the tree count. But in a load, if there were more than 27 log lengths, then you weren't making good money. The US Forest Service is happy for the fallers to be glorified tree thinners. I saw the handwriting on the wall and got out in the 80's. I did get to cut a lot of OG Doug Fir though and moving to CO, cut some beautiful OG Engelmann Spruce up on the Grand Mesa. But CO logging was cowboy logging. So unlike the west coast, I couldn't even begin to tell ya all the differences.

If you're cutting 200 'trees' a day, you're cutting sticks. It's about how the trees scale, not about the tree count. For us on the west coast, it was Decimal C Scale large bark timber.

Kevin

Yeah I've seen that clip before several times! Best timber drive I've ever seen! I've done some good drives my self, but definitely nothing that big! Some Bull Bucks would fire certain cutters for doing that! A big domino drive is definitely playing with fire in my opinion! Definitely not recommend!

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Back