Do our chainsaws pollute more than a full-sized pickup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ONe volcano erupts and blows more toxic waste they we could ever put out. Greater forces at hand than a few leaf blowers and chainsaws running.

I like effeciency improvments as long as the performance does not suffer so bad.

In addition to the motor emissions, leaf blowers put particulates into the air and they are annoyingly noisy, they need to be banned.

Wind puts particulates in the air. Wind happens in most places.
If the idjits would use the vaccum function instead, there wouldn't be a particulate problem.
We don't need a ban on them, we need more of them vaccuming up particulates.;)

It's the dorks in the citys that pay Juan to fire up the leaf blower at 0630 every tuesday that are irritating.
Thier neighbors have a rough time sleeping with the racket, and can't hear the 87,000 cars and trucks to lull them back to sleep...which wouldn't be a problem if the EPA wasn't so stupid about Open headders saving lives.

City folks are baffling critters.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Don't forget the emission levels are measured in parts per million....the rapt or is burning a lot more parts!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I would guess that the amount of pollution coming from lawn services using blowers and weed eaters in residential areas, is much more than all of the chainsaws put together. Almost every day there's some kind of blower or wacker going in my neighborhood. Oh and about the black from those nasty Cummins engines, it's mostly heavy carbon that falls to the ground and doesn't stay suspended in the air as most other pollutants do. The unregulated gases that come from ethanol (nitrogens of oxide) are much more toxic (unregulated gases) than the carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons emitted ( the regulated gases). The biodiesel is another poison problem that has yet to be spoken about much. The bad gases are unregulated so the government doesn't seem to pay them much attention. A smaller amount of a more dangerous substance should be cause for consideration I would think.

I could give a rats rear end if they pollute or not. Makes me want to run my 1960's homelites every time I cut wood, and in the end it all ends up in smoke any way.
995G004.jpg

running straight ethanol would help solve the pollution problem, as it burns very clean and you can make it yourself with a still.

Depends on the size of the trees. I can clear a lot of saplings fast with my F350 but it would take a lot longer to knock over and buck up a large tree using the truck instead of a saw. Plus it would be rough on the tires and a pain to place a proper bore cut so I could be all trendy.

Using a truck as a chainsaw

I had an S-10 and once I was bouncing down an old abandoned logging road, drunk, with two screaming chicks hanging in their shoulder harnesses. The road was narrowed by saplings growing on both sides, we went swishing along. Up ahead, there were TWO Big-a$$ed trees along side the road. The girls were screaming that there was no way the truck would fit between the trees and we were going to crash. I assured them that there "was just enough room, with none to spare" for the truck to squeaze between the trees. Well it did, but sliced off both plastic rearview mirrors, just like butter.

They would be better off touting things like using rechargeable batteries. The little bit that I run a saw pales in comparison to the 2 hours a day of driving that I usually do.

Question: Do our chainsaws pollute more than a full-sized pickup?

Political Answer: Yes or No, depending on...

Correct Answer: Who cares.

In other words, your neighbor has a:

Coal powered chainsaw

Coal powered Lawnmower

Coal powered Leaf blower

Coal powered weed whacker

LOL!!!

Good for him! No foreign oil used to make Polar bears cry!:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

--to be fair it might be hydro or nuke or natgas. Coal is very common, yes, and typically run cleaner at a centralized plant with scrubbers and so on (a modern or updated plant) than small two stroke engines. Also at a higher energy conversion efficiency level, even with transmission losses. And I have friends that run all solar and/or wind, so there ya go, ton of different ways for folks to run electrical devices.

I would *guess* why a lot of homeowners run electrical yard clean up tools is because they are mostly no brainer plug in and run. Very little of the "@$#^%%!! dang thing won't start"! syndrome with them, with minimal maintenance.

Personally, I am digging on my battery saw and can't wait until they come out with a much larger one. It's real nice working around limbs and brush and so on because it is on/off so easy. No sitting their idling, no wasting fuel, easy restart, it is instant. Plus it is real quiet and barely sips bar oil. Ran out three batts worth and still had oil in the reservoir. And recharging or "filling the tank" is quite easy and quite cheap compared to running even the smallest gas saw. I used mine the other day and got 1/3rd of a cord of small rounds, all in the stack now. Didn't have to touch any of the gas saws for that particular job. Ya, recharged them in the house from the grid, but in a pinch I could recharge them from the solar panels on my RV.

Guess it depends on your perspective and how you're measuring what pollutant.

I drive my truck to owrk every day, 18 mile one way trip and I get about 13 mpg. So I'm going through 3 gallons of gas every day, 5 days a week, 49 weeks a year. 735 gallons of gas per year just to get to and from work...burning a gallon of gas releases about 24lb of carbon molecules into the air, so I'm generating 8.82 tons of greenhouse gases, plus the other traces like NOx, CO and other crap.

I go through probably 2-4 gallons of gas in my 2 strokes annually (wedeater, blower, 2 saws).

The truck is by far the bigger polluter in sheer volume in my book. Hell, a Prius driven for a week or so pollutes more than my 2 strokes.

Now you want to talk about pollution? How about oil buring furnaces? A conservative household without an aux heat device like a woodstove will go through a good 1000 gallons a year or so in the northern climates. Whats that dumping into the air across 10 million households.

Last edited:
Is this what it has came down to? Solar-powered chainsaws?

What do you mean "come down to"? You LIKE being dependent on some energy cartels, with no way to have any REAL fuel competition? In chemical makeup or price? That is supposed to be a better way? I have lived all over the country, I have yet to see anything more than a pittance difference in cost, gas station to gas station, for retail amounts of fuel by the gallon. That's not competition, that is cartel price fixing. Just enough few cents difference they can *claim* so called "free market" competition. And as for saws, they are just now getting out of the dinosaur age. At least they are starting to address fuel consumption and emissions and efficiency of burn, with the controlled carbs. Heck, we don't even have fuel injection yet on saws! If carbs were all that great, how come there aren't any new vehicles being sold here that come with carbs? Why not? Plenty of vehicle manufacturers out there, funny not a one of them uses carbs any more.

Some old stuff is OK, some is just..old stuff.

I enjoy my solar and my only regret is not doing way more back when I was making more money, when I could have and it was cheaper. And there are thousands of folks out there now who are energy independent, they have their juice paid off, up and running and working just fine. For some, it works quite well.

There is no one size fits all energy answer, nor is there any one size fits all cutting answer. I am enjoying my top of the line current bleeding edge battery saw as well. It's just like I enjoy my battery drills, but I also have plug in drills. I have gas saws and enjoy them and use them, but as soon as upgraded and more powerful electrics come out, I am on that like white on rice. Electric got torque, right there, all the time, the full RPM range. Electric has instant on/off. Electric doesn't have leaky seals, plugged filters, rotten fuel lines, malfunctioning vents, you don't have to "mod" it to get full horsepower or torque, and etc. Sure, it is still in the infancy of that particular type of design, so what, everything else was too. Early adopters get the benefits..similar to how myself and thousands of others were early adopters of computers, so now we can all enjoy what we have today, which is pretty darn amazing if you are old enough to remember when there weren't all that many computers at all on the whole planet.

In the meantime, as more advanced technology gets developed, I use what I have, the appropriate tool for the job, with the tools I own.

In other words, your neighbor has a:

Coal powered chainsaw

Coal powered Lawnmower

Coal powered Leaf blower

Coal powered weed whacker

LOL!!!

Good for him! No foreign oil used to make Polar bears cry!:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Makes me think of all the ignorant environmentalists who run nuclear cars around here (we barely burn coal here anymore but our electricity is 90% nuclear.). love the look on their face when I point that out!

Makes me think of all the ignorant environmentalists who run nuclear cars around here (we barely burn coal here anymore but our electricity is 90% nuclear.). love the look on their face when I point that out!

The grid is the grid. Positive and negative electrons are the same anywhere ya tap into them.
20% of them come from Nukes. The rest come from Coal, Nat. Gas, and a couple come from Hydro..the hippies and ecofascists hog all of the electrons generated by wind and solar for thier own use. :msp_biggrin:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back