Do these prices sound about right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a new carb on the little 141 after owning it for 1 year and 10 months! Nothing on the others - and that's fine with me. It's there in case you have a problem . . . and for the price of new quality saws the longer the warranty -the better.
Al :)
What was the matter with the old carb? User neglect or was it defective from the factory?

Not necessarily but Echo seems to think so and are willing to stand behind their product to that degree!
Ok by reading a previous post of yours it sounded like you were implying that the 260 and all stihls were lower quality products and that is the reason they have a shorter warranty.

Ok by reading a previous post of yours it sounded like you were implying that the 260 and all stihls were lower quality products and that is the reason they have a shorter warranty.

I thought that's where we were headed with this and that's not the case. But I have to tell you with the prices charged by Stihl they should be able to offer a longer warranty. Look - I really like my 361 it's a super saw in fact in general from what I read on this site Stihl makes a really fine product -I'm just not a fan of their marketing techniques.

Seems to be an arrogance associated with the dealer network thing and only one year consumer warranty etc. kind of like on the Wizard of Oz " Pay no attention to that man behind the Orange and White Screen"...

Didn't you use the saw in the first 1 year and 10 months that you owned it? Its strange how it just became defective after being in service for that long.

Had a number of trips to the dealer with tuning issues over that time span. They'd set it and it would go bad - bring it back do it again.

I thought that's where we were headed with this and that's not the case. But I have to tell you with the prices charged by Stihl they should be able to offer a longer warranty. Look - I really like my 361 it's a super saw in fact in general from what I read on this site Stihl makes a really fine product -I'm just not a fan of their marketing techniques.

Seems to be an arrogance associated with the dealer network thing and only one year consumer warranty etc. kind of like on the Wizard of Oz " Pay no attention to that man behind the Orange and White Screen"...

I guess by this guy's quotes doesn't it appear the saws are priced pretty close to each other?

That's why I posted that he should consider length of warranty as an additional criteria in making his decision.

Ok...but I seemed to get other implications from your comments, but ohh well. To me the warranty thing is still trivial, but to you or other consumers it may not be.

Probably so.

Ok...but I seemed to get other implications from your comments, but ohh well. To me the warranty thing is still trivial, but to you or other consumers it may not be.

I assume that the warranty thing is less important to ANY hard core member of AS. You guys can probably fix your saws blindfolded - but to the average schmo/consumer/homeowner etc. like me I think it's very important and a longer warranty has value, be it perceived or real.
I surely don't have any brand preference issues - I respect everyone's choice in saws. Brand loyalty is good. I like Huskys and am learning to like Stihls. (at least one)
Al :cheers:

Have you used an 026/260 extensively?

Yes, who hasnt? The tree service I used to work with only used Stihl's and big old Homelites. The 260 is very dependable and very average performance wise, and way past due for either a redesign or a price cut.

The 260 in current form should retail for about the 375$ mark and the Pro about 410$ It's a good saw but explaining to a customer why a 3.2 hp saw cost the same as the MS 280 with a half hp more usually results in a blank stare.

Yes, who hasnt? The tree service I used to work with only used Stihl's and big old Homelites. The 260 is very dependable and very average performance wise, and way past due for either a redesign or a price cut.

About 95% of the other people on AS that put down the 026/260. I assume its replacement will be out before too long. I find muffler modded 026's/260's perform quite satisfactory imo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back