Do you clean your chains...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a used saw comes in, I toss the chain in the ultrasonic cleaner and clean it up for inspection. Best way I've found to see cracks or broken tie plates and rivits. Once the saw or chain enters the rotation, I don't bother again unless I hit steel or rocks in the wood.

Tried Purple Power Tonight

Actually, it was a competitive brand ('Super Clean') sold by Menard's. Had 8 chains ready to sharpen - half good chains, and half salvaged chains. Thought I would try it.

Very impressive. Used a 50/50 mix with water in a plastic tub, a few swishes, a few rinses in another tub, and voila! Literally, just a few seconds. I thought I would have to soak them, or brush them, or shake them in an old peanut butter jar. A few of the older chains took a few light passes with an old toothbrush to get rid of some crud under the cutters, followed by another rinse.

I am still a little concerned about washing out all of the lubrication around the rivets. Hung them to dry in a warm place, and hit them with WD-40 to penetrate and displace any remaining moisture.

Philbert

Don't "clean" mine, but do wipe them off with a shop towel or something just to get the filings off. Always have, then read on here a guy got a piece of filing in his eye. Was still on the chain and he had on his screen but no goggles said it went through his face screen. I wasn't there but it don't seem to me the filings would come off in the direction of the operator, but could have been another persons saw that just happened to have the bar pointed in his direction.... I see that happening as folks were warming up before venturing into the bush to cut maybe... dunno something to think about I guess.

dw

Rusty chains which aren't easily mounted on a bar can be freed up with a
mixture of about 15/85% Acetone/Diesel. Soak 'em in there for a couple
of days and they'll come out in good shape.

I use a wire brush in the opposite direction to the chain rotation
I have a timber stud with some roof screw to hold the bar while it is dressed,
The grinder is mounted on this so it all sits in the bench vise.
I usually hook the chain around one of the screws and pull it tight while I brush it.
Often the chain will get a spray, usually with what is in the closest can, wd40, brake cleaner, so long as it is a solvent or oil based spray
This only happen if I'm going to be using the grinder on the chain

I don't think I've ever cleaned mine. I suppose if you were running though lots of dirt, you could spray it down with some brake cleaner. Just make sure you follow it up with some WD-40 or other oil to keep it from rusting.

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but since the oil flows from the inside track of the bar, the oil flows out of the chain and pushes out any debris while it's being used.

I have had to clean my chains in the odd wood. I was cutting some really sappy Casuarina a few years back that formed like these shark fins behind the rakers and cutter. The crap dried once you left the saw overnight and then flaked off absolutely everywhere - you couldn't even distinguish the rivets on the tiestrap. That was grubby stuff but in reality the chains still cut fine but I do believe the extra drag started to pull the saws down too much. I ended up soaking them in Caustic Soda (Lye) which worked really well. Nasty stuff though and even nastier than the sap :)

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but since the oil flows from the inside track of the bar, the oil flows out of the chain and pushes out any debris while it's being used.

Yep I agree. Also if you are running marginal oil you'll get WAY more crap build up on your chain. More oil = cleaner chain for sure. In my comment above the build ups were more noticable on the longer bars where the old 7900's oiler started getting too thin.

Wow... I LOL'd all the way through this thread. Just bury the thing in wood. "Clean saw chain". That's a hoot! Gary

Gary,

I thought you gave up on reading 'chain soaking' threads years ago! (Could it be that you secretly want to be part of the chain cleaning elite?)

I like to marinate mine in Italian dressing, then about 4 hrs. in the smoker for a flavor that can't be beat...

Well, I DO use an Italian grinder afterwards . . .

I can't help it - they look so pretty when they are clean! (Also, I can inspect them for cracks, wear, etc. And, I can see what I am doing when I sharpen them. And, it keeps all that crap out of my grinder wheels or files. And, . . . ).

I avoided the oven cleaner/lye/Purple Power approach for a long time, due to the nasty chemicals, and to avoid taking oil away from the rivets, but this just works so fast, and the liquid cleaner does not get all over like spray oven cleaner. Take your time, wear gloves, don't splash. . .

Philbert

I have never cleaned my chains, I might dip one in oil that is all rusted up.

Last edited:
Back