Do you clean your chains...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Few Photos for the Skeptics

Lots of "I Clean My Chains in Wood!" comments in these threads. Tried to take some photos of what some of our chains look like after cleaning up storm damage, with roofing and other building materials mixed in. Hard to photograph - these don't really do it justice. But sometimes, it is hard to even see the rivets, let alone read the engraved letters and numbers.

'Before' and 'after' photos of similarly gunked up chains - not the same chains as I was cleaning them in batches. Hopefully, I don't need to label which is which. Cleaned with one of the purple, sodium hydroxide cleaners, prior to inspecting, sharpening, repairing any damage, etc.

Philbert

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Berryman's Chem Dip (carb cleaner) comes in 1 gallon & 5 gallon cans works great but is nasty. I don't think you can even buy the stuff in California. You need to oil the chains after soaking in this stuff 'cus they will rust, like you said.
je

Tried cleaning a chain with the purple stuff in the ultrasonic cleaner tonight. Not impressed. Set one chain in it for 8 minutes with heat, meanwhile, I simply swished a few other chains in a jug with the same 50/50 dilution. Still had to brush crud off of the chain that was in the USC. Not any faster. Did not appear to be any cleaner. 1+1 does not = 3 in this case.

Plus, it messed up the 'stainless' steel lining of my Harbor Freight USC! Left rust stains! This is the first time I have used something other than plain water in the tank. When I used paint thinner, I placed it in a glass jar with the parts, and filled the tank with water.

Philbert

After filing, I use a tooth brush and get every tooth and raker clean then I use some flitz metal polish to get the sides of the teeth purrrfect, then an hour or two of never dull on the bar. :msp_wub:

Cary

After filing, I use a tooth brush and get every tooth and raker clean then I use some flitz metal polish to get the sides of the teeth purrrfect, then an hour or two of never dull on the bar.

Cary

I'd like to see a photo of that! Would go nice with this bar:

attachment.php

Me? I'm just trying to get the crud off so that I can inspect them, sharpen them, make sure they get oiled, run smooth, etc.

Philbert

Don't understand why you'd clean something, that within 1s of use will be dirty again?

Isn't that like wiping your ass before you take a ****!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Don't understand why you'd clean something, that within 1s of use will be dirty again?

Isn't that like wiping your ass before you take a ****!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

What? and whats wrong with that?, the wiping that is, I thought thats where anal retentiveness has came from:)

Back