Do you clean your chains...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a KY thing, but if you soak 'em in KY Straight Bourbon Whiskey then when on the saw, they'll seek out white oak logs like nobody's business. :biggrin:

dw

If I hit a lottery, would soak them in Maker's Mark. Wish I would have had time to stop there when last passing thru central Ky. the last time..

If I hit a lottery, would soak them in Maker's Mark. Wish I would have had time to stop there when last passing thru central Ky. the last time..

Well I'm only about 30 miles from there I still ain't been. Something about not letting me bathe in the tanks :'(

:biggrin:

dw

one more who uses a wire brush

BobL has these videos of cleaning his milling chains

Battery drill powerd
[video=youtube;IauN8GMUCy0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IauN8GMUCy0&feature=plcp&context=C3d29d2eUDOEgsToPDskJlYagcaPkbg25L4A8tiYvN[/video]

Long bars done out side

[video=youtube;4c4WzRExtc0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c4WzRExtc0&feature=plcp&context=C3f9eec1UDOEgsToPDskJSQdEnzLcWx1ZoeLOd4ArB[/video]

I was waiting for an epic fail moment where he cuts a finger or two off. It is quite bad for me to write that, having done some risky things in my life.

Well, I had to do it....
Had a couple of spare chains from my 036 hanging up in the shop, one was pretty crusted up with sap spooge from cutting some red oak trees down last year. Did not have a bucket of carb cleaner, so I used some paint thinner with a shot of MMO mixed in. It softened up the spooge, then I ran it over the wire wheel on my grinder to finish, then sharpened it, so there 'ya go. Looks reel good!

Isn't MMO Marvel Mystery Oil? I don't like to put a file or grinder to a dirty chain. I like it to be squeaky clean so I can see what shape it is in and inspect it for damage of any sort. Crud on the chain will also load up a grinder wheel or file. The USC with Awesome at 80 deg Centigrade for about 10 minutes does a great job. I use a strong magnet (like a cookie on a stick) to pick up accumulated filings or else I get out the shop vac. Thin plastic (like a grocery bag) can be stretched over the magnet and pulled off with the filings for a clean disposal.

I tried the ultrasonic cleaner. It works. Was using WD-40 and a stiff brush, as I posted on other threads. It works. BobL's big tower frankly scares me!

This stuff (Purple Power, SuperClean, etc.) is FAST. I have tried it now diluted 1:1, and 3:1 with water. 5 seconds of swishing for an average chain. Rinse and followed with an old toothbrush for really gunky chains. Swish and rinse again. Will try it more diluted next time to work with less caustic solution.

Just be sure to dry thoroughly and re-lube.

Philbert

Isn't MMO Marvel Mystery Oil? I don't like to put a file or grinder to a dirty chain. I like it to be squeaky clean so I can see what shape it is in and inspect it for damage of any sort. Crud on the chain will also load up a grinder wheel or file. The USC with Awesome at 80 deg Centigrade for about 10 minutes does a great job. I use a strong magnet (like a cookie on a stick) to pick up accumulated filings or else I get out the shop vac. Thin plastic (like a grocery bag) can be stretched over the magnet and pulled off with the filings for a clean disposal.

Yuuup.

Was at an auto parts store that happened to sell 'Super Clean' and 'Purple Power' side by side. Price was pretty similar ($7 - $8 / gallon), but Purple Power lists lye (sodium hydroxide) as the second ingredient, whereas it is about fourth for Super Clean. Not sure if they list active ingredients by volume. Purple Power MSDS says lye is less than 2%; Super Clean MSDS says Lye is less than 5% - so that does not clear anything up. Not sure what the other common ingredients do (sodium metasilicate, ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, and my favorite: tetrasodium ethylenediaminetetraacatate).

I think that I have also seen Rubbermaid Professional Products and other versions of similar cleaners.

Philbert

Rusty chains which aren't easily mounted on a bar can be freed up with a
mixture of about 15/85% Acetone/Diesel. Soak 'em in there for a couple
of days and they'll come out in good shape.

Now then... JJ brings up a very good point. When tryin' to save some old 1/2" chain I got years back (about 30 feet of it)... it was rusty and locked up on a quite a few links. I soaked it in diesel for a week. Free as a bird. :)

Gary

Follow-up notes

This stuff (Purple Power, SuperClean, etc.) is FAST. Just be sure to dry thoroughly and re-lube.

Philbert

OK, I have used this now on close to 30 chains. It works. It is fast. Oil, grease, dirt swish right off. Asphalt (from tornado/disaster clean up) takes a short soak, light brushing with an old toothbrush, and re-swish. One part cleaner, to one or two parts water (max) works best.

****BUT, it removes all the oil! **** Not a big deal if you sharpen and re-lube right away. But there have been several chains that I did not get back to for a few weeks and several showed signs of light rust around the rivets and on the cutting edges, even though they were stored inside with lots of air circulation.

So, if you use this stuff, I suggest that you hit the chains with some WD-40 after letting them dry for a day or so, whether or not you have gotten around to sharpening them.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back