Do you lubricate hedge trimmers? If so what do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassmantweed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
At the ripe old age of 50 I broke down and bought my self a stihl ms45 hedge trimmer.

I didn’t see anything in the manual about lubing the cutters. I did see how to add grease to the gearbox.

Wondering what the best lubricant would be to use (if any) without gumming up the blades. I used silicone.

Electric ones I useally use a oil can with either SEA 30 or 10w30 on the blades few squirts will do. I have used just about every spray lube(wd40 is not a lube) and even the old standby 1 in 3 oil. Never had them gum up or have a sticky mess useally oil before cutting and after.

Electric ones I useally use a oil can with either SEA 30 or 10w30 on the blades few squirts will do. I have used just about every spray lube(wd40 is not a lube) and even the old standby 1 in 3 oil. Never had them gum up or have a sticky mess useally oil before cutting and after.

A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION​

Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

At the ripe old age of 50 I broke down and bought my self a stihl ms45 hedge trimmer.

I didn’t see anything in the manual about lubing the cutters. I did see how to add grease to the gearbox.

Wondering what the best lubricant would be to use (if any) without gumming up the blades. I used silicone.
Mineral oil is what my Wen calls for. Non toxic, etc

Latest posts

Back