Do you lubricate hedge trimmers? If so what do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is what is being discussed….
Putting grease on hedge trimmers has not been brought up anywhere in this thread.....
The major component of WD-40 is Stoddard's solvent (mineral spirits, Varsol, etc), which is similar to refined kerosene, and light paraffin oils. Its no more a lubricant than diesel fuel is. It might penetrate into moving parts and remove the gunk, but its not a good lubricant.
As for the silicone mentioned in the OP, silicone is a lubricant only for plastic, rubber and other similar materials. It will eventually cause metals to gall.
Use any good petroleum lubricant. A spray can of chain and cable lube will last you a long time.

Putting grease on hedge trimmers has not been brought up anywhere in this thread.....
The major component of WD-40 is Stoddard's solvent (mineral spirits, Varsol, etc), which is similar to refined kerosene, and light paraffin oils. Its no more a lubricant than diesel fuel is. It might penetrate into moving parts and remove the gunk, but its not a good lubricant.
As for the silicone mentioned in the OP, silicone is a lubricant only for plastic, rubber and other similar materials. It will eventually cause metals to gall.
Use any good petroleum lubricant. A spray can of chain and cable lube will last you a long time.
Well now, we can rest assured now that you’ve checked everything…lol i Hope you haven’t put grease on them before….

anywho, saying WD-40 in not a lubricant is a myth you’d know if you read everything in this thread….

Well now, we can rest assured now that you’ve checked everything…lol i Hope you haven’t put grease on them before….

anywho, saying WD-40 in not a lubricant is a myth you’d know if you read everything in this thread….
Your local community college probably has reading comprehension courses for adults......you should give it a go sometime....

Highly educated engineer. He knows everything and has no expectations for us simpletons to understand anything.
Thanks…but seriously, a lot of people read our posts and never interact so we can’t see them. Your post alluded to grease and was very confusing so I posted to add clarity. Then I get genius dogpiled on WD-40 not being a lubricant, and that’s simply false.

sorry if I ruffled your feathers in my attempt to genericize the issue but i wanted people to know (not us here) not to put grease on the blades.

as for why, as all of us know, putting heavier oils on those blades then plunging them in the dust bowls that are hedges and shrubs attracts and holds all the dust to the blades, and the dust is what kills them.

WD is most definitely a lubricant. Is it a good one? NO.

It used to be back in the day. I had a case of the stuff left by my grandfather in the early 90's. Case was from the early 80's I think. Had been kicking around a bit. I had a smashed up '85 Monte Carlo that made this horrendous noise whenever the driver's door was opened. I used to hose it down with WD about every 6 months. After I used that last can, I went to ADAP Auto Parts and grabbed a 3-pack of WD to replace it. The door started squawking every week after that! Must've been a substantial formulation change. Nothing changed with the door - still had the same amount of slop in the worn out and bent pins & bushings. That was my first thought, too, at the time.

I thought maybe they cheaped out because it was a 3-pack, and bought a single can elsewhere. Same deal. 1 week, and it's making noise, sometimes sooner if I encountered a heavy summer T-storm! I've used it as a plastic polisher and a cleaner ever since. It'll lubricate light things, but not car doors or anything heavy. I'd imagine it's perfect for a hedge trimmer.

Back to the original question, after use and cleaning I coat the cutters with 85W-90 gear lube for storage.
The cutters are hardened steel and a significant amount of riding area, so they don't need much in the way of lubrication.
Lubrication of the cutters could actually be counter productive, as it could help to gather dirt and grime from the bushes.
On the other hand if you're trimming sappy growth, the grime is going to gather anyway and the oil will help with the post use clean up.

I agree that this product works very well on the cutting parts of the hedge clippers when used regularly. Greasing the mechanism under the cover once or twice a year with the recommended Stihl grease has sufficed for me.

I'll add my 2c - I also use Stihl's Superclean, or INOX's Lanox if I can't find the Superclean. Use whatever recommended grease for the gearbox that Stihl sells in the threaded, metal squeezy tubes.

At the ripe old age of 50 I broke down and bought my self a stihl ms45 hedge trimmer.

I didn’t see anything in the manual about lubing the cutters. I did see how to add grease to the gearbox.

Wondering what the best lubricant would be to use (if any) without gumming up the blades. I used silicone.
Just keep grease in the gearbox. Adding grease or oil to the cutters will
only cause every piece of dust and grit to build up on them, this will wear
and blunt the cutters and the rail / bar, and put extra pressure on the engine
in the process.
You could use a dry lube from a spray can, like silicone spray.

Latest posts

Back