Do you run your hydraulic splitter in the rain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundup

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have only had a splitter for a few months and I worry when it rains that every drop that hits the arm that drives wedge draws that moisture back into the piston.

Is running a splitter in the rain going to harm the splitter?

BTW I have a Huskee 22 ton

no, the rod is sealed.
yes, if the splashing gets drawn into the tank breather. Put a bucket or tarp over it.

someone posted here in past rigging up an old patio umbrella on the splitter for shade and rain protection.

Rain is not going to hurt it one bit think about it this way does rain stop construction work and bring all the equiment back into the garage? No I dont think so I can testifiy that rain aint gonna hurt the hydraulics one bit other then cool it down some maybe? There are 2 seals on the top cap one is a wiper to keep dirt water etc off of the inner seal which is what seals the shaft

I don't know about the machine, but it's crap on the operator!

Personally, I won't run in the rain because "it's crap on the operator". Excavators and bull dozers run all the time and those cyliders get exposed to far more dirt and rain. Keep an eye on your fluid and if it is ever anything but transparent...find the cause then change it!

I have only had a splitter for a few months and I worry when it rains that every drop that hits the arm that drives wedge draws that moisture back into the piston.

Does the liquid under 1500-4000psi leak out, if it doesn't then liquid without pressure isn't going in. It isn't good to leave the ram exposed to the elements they will rust in time and pit the shaft, that in turn will wipe out the o-ring seals that keeps the oil in.

Rain, Snow or whatever it happend to be at the time. Depends how much rain.. Don't like to be lifting them big logs when they are wet and mucky. It's a good way to get a lot of things you don't want in a hurry.

Even if a drop or two of water managed to get into the system through the Ram seals, so frickin' what?

Let the thing sit for a day or two and drain off a couple quarts of hydro and water, at the same time you swap hydro filters.

The tank breather allows more water into the tank than could ever get by the Ram seals.;)

If splitting in the rain is your thing, have at it and don't worry about it..:msp_thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense. You know how it is with a new toy, just figured I'd check. I'll be splitting Sunday to try and keep up with demand for the fall

the way we always look at it in an automotive stand point is, if oil can get out then water can get in. simply put, if its not leaking oil then water cant get in. unless ur running it under water that is. then you take the "off-roading" side of things by building snorkles and re-routing breathers and vent tubes to high and dry places.

Kinda off topic but i heard a story of a guy building snorkles for a brand new D8 dozer and making it remote controlled so he could dredge out a river in china or japan someplace. did the whole job cheaper and faster than a conventional drag line or dredge. paid for the dozer and a bunch in pocket then wrote the dozer off... like i said, off topic totally but its late and nobodys listening anyway :laugh:

ever wash anything?

No it doesn't hurt to split in the rain, did some yesterday. I'm sick though. ever use a powerwasher on equipment? That high pressure water blasting at your splitter ain't hurting anything is it? Just use common sense as you would with anything I hope? Don't blast the sensitive parts like the carb or seals and for Gods sake if it's pouring rain then wear a hat......HAHAHA.:msp_sneaky:

you will get more moisture in your hyd fluid from the tank sweating when the weather changes than you ever will from using it in the rain,i try to keep mine in my shop most of the time,i have had wet logs pop up out of the splitter when they was wet,that always concerned me the most especially if my kids are helping,if the fluid gets milky looking i change the fluid and filter:msp_smile:

Rain

Take your gas engine off and throw it away get you a five hp 220 electric motor hook it all up put it all in your shop. It's hot turn on the air. It's cold turn on the heat. No rain snow wind or noise.

Latest posts

Back