Do you trust 50 to 1 mix,or add more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4pwr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I remember the days with two cycle engines,mostly outboards when we didnt have all these wonderful lubricants. I remember going to a one horse town,getting white gas and using motor oil to mix it with. What ever the ratio specified we always added a little extra. We just wanted to be safe. Now we have 50 to 1. So do you use a 50 to one ratio or add a dollup more to ease your mind. Do you trust 50 to 1. I guess that is what I am asking.

i use 32:1 mix in everything, from my 12year old 21cc echo brush cutter to my largest saws..(99cc) using good mix i have had no problems with 50:1 other than normal wear.. 32:1 i get less wear than that.. another reason i use 32:1 is i live in a MAJOR dust area.. most of my area is sand and dirt roads.. more oil helps if an air filter starts letting some grit in.. also seem to get a little more grunt out of my saws..

I will be extremely interested to see the replies to this thread.

Its suspected that my Echo that was ruined was because of a super low oil mixture compared to the gas. My dad grabbed the wrong gas can, probably all that was in it was a little bit of residual gas from the last time it was mixed in the gas can.

50 to 1

Here we go again.

In a a normal use saw, pro or consumer, it is fine. I still have not seen a faiure due to this ratio. I see failures from complete lack of oil, improper mixing, dirt and other lack of maintenance issues. But, I have not seen 50 to 1 ruin a maintained regular saw.

Notice, I did not include a hotsaw, or heavily modded saw. That is a bird of a different feather.

OK folks, let'er fly.

we use a synthetic oil, which is suppose to cover all bases of all mixtures one mix covers it all....... Don't know what you guys think but so far it seems to work...

Do a search and you will find LOTS of opinions on this issue. Enough to keep you reading for hours.

I've been running the 50:1 w/ Husqvarna oil in my 359 and it does fine, clean as a whistle and piston looks new. But I do plan to at least switch to the Mobil synthetic once I have used up what I have left.

There is a vast amount of info on this topic at this site.
I have run Stihl, Echo & Husky brand dino oils in all my two strokes which includes some very old saws. I run 45/1 and never had any lack of lube issues in my two strokes.

i run the husky 350 at 25:1, the book says 50:1, but the dealer said to err on the side of caution and go for 25:1, the 090 info i read on here also said 25:1, so thats what i run, in my dirtbike (ktm300) i run 40:1 with maxima castor/synthetic oil.
most of the findings ive read regarding 2 stroke dirtbikes seem to say 2 things, smaller higher revving engines (ie 125) need more oil to fuel than a larger slower revver (500)
Also in test done on a 125 when the oil was increased the power went up - due to better ring sealing.
You'd just have to make sure you don't foul plugs - no ive never fouled one yet.

A few years ago, on the advice of this board's saw builders and racers, I richened up my mix ratios, from 40-45 to 1 to 32-36 to 1. I was using mostly Husky mix...and found a bit of carbon build up in the exhaust ports.

Now, I run, as do many here, Mobil MX2-T, considered by many to be the best thing going. I mix it at about 36-1. Result, saws are much cleaner, run near smokeless.

Tons and tons of discussions in the archives....on miix ratios and mix types.
Many say 50-1 and dino mix is fine....but most serious saw users and builders swear by the better mix and richer mix ratios.....

I've always run 50:1, but since modding out the mufflers, and being bashed by Stumper about 32:1, I compromised, and now run 40:1 klotz synthetic.
-Ralph

Last edited:
Steve here... per KD this is what i was told to do... run the saw, pull the muffler, the piston should be completly covered with a film of oil, totally wet, if not it is not enough oil.

Last edited:
MX2T probably wrecks more 2 stroke than it saves.
Stock oil at recommended rates will allow your saw to run perfectly, pretty much forever. Pro guys will replace the saw with a newer model long before the motor goes out because of lack of lubrification, or more succinctly, before the difference between the recommended oil and synthetic oil comes into play. Occasional users will not run the saw enough to wear it out.
What gets most saws is not running any oil. Heres where Mobil messed up, there's no dye. You can't tell if theres oil in the gas or not. Hence a greater chance of running without oil.

Latest posts

Back