Do you trust 50 to 1 mix,or add more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stevenb said:
How do you know what 45 to 1 is in those premeasured bottles?

Keep the oil amount constant and adjust the amount of gas in the mix.

I use the small bottles from Echo that make a 1 gallon 50/1 mix.
I lower the gas amount to 0.9 gallons to make the ratio 45/1.

0.8 gallons would be 40/1 and so on down the scale.

I hope I said the correctly...

I agree, but I just wanted to let him know how to work off the little 2.6 oz. bottles he asked about.

I have an old glass ratio cup that I use. I know I just jinxed myself and it will most likely break this weekend!

Well, not that it's that big of a deal about the money, Rahtree, but Klotz is running just shy of $20 a Qt around here. I can get the MX2T stuff for about $7-$9 a qt.
I always figured you get what you pay for (the name)
-Ralph

Racing 2T @ 32:1 here as well, exact measure. No dollop extra, exactly 32:1. My mix cans are marked exactly at the 1 gallon or 2 gallon or whatever level, pre measured by me. The meter on the pump isn't always accurate. As to undyed oil, no biggy. All my 2 stroke mix cans are labelled so. All cans marked as containing 2 stroke mix always without fail have oil added at the gas station when being filled, or they remain empty. No exceptions.

If I had fixed jets I would mix according to your owners manual. Otherwise I mix 32:1 with a 1/4 cup Marvel mystery oil to each gallon for my "current" saws.
In 80' weather I had really good luck with a brew of 8oz. oil, 1 gallon gas & 1qt. kerosene in my 380 Mac, really cut down on the boiling in the tank and it pulled like an ox.

Marco said:
If I had fixed jets I would mix according to your owners manual. Otherwise I mix 32:1 with a 1/4 cup Marvel mystery oil to each gallon for my "current" saws.
In 80' weather I had really good luck with a brew of 8oz. oil, 1 gallon gas & 1qt. kerosene in my 380 Mac, really cut down on the boiling in the tank and it pulled like an ox.

Hi Marco,

This is very interesting. The addition of kero, I was of the understanding that kero was very corrosive when used in a petrol engine and that it reduced the power output, I think, because of the uneven burn pattern of the mixture. In UK it is used as an illegal additive in road fuel, but if memory serves, the users have to add another ingredient (?) to reduce the corrosive affects or the engines tend not to last very long.
Could you expand upon your experience of using this mixture.

Marco,

Just realised, my example of kero use is in 4 stroke road fuel. Am interested in your experience of 2 stroke kero use.

Last edited:
50; 1

Yes , I've used 50 : 1 for nine years in my 044 and for 18 months in my solo and have a nice oily piston without any problems . Marco the use of kerosene is interesting . In the late seventys or early eightys some one gave me some fuel additive called MIX I GO that looked and smelled like kerosene . I can't get Dean Hylton to comment so I'll ask you . What is the benefit of this additive or kerosene in a fuel mix of gasoline ?

In 19 years of cutting I have run saws in extreme conditions at 45:1 up to 50:1 with no problems. There are very few of the town folks who are even close to having a lot of time on saws. I Have had thousands of 2+ gallons days in 1 saw I would think that should demonstrate that 50:1 is fine. The things that most neglect is never changing the air filter, or at least cleaning it properly, and running SHARP chain, that is the #1 killer of saws. :blob5:

32/1. Mobil Racing 2T prefered.

Ralph, I bashed you? Sorry man-bashing good guys isn't usually my intent.-On the other hand ......where is Mike while I've got the basher out? :p

Justin, just funnin you man, but you do make a good arguement for 32:1, I just can't bring myself to mix it that rich (yet).
Yeah, hit Mike real hard, twice :D
-Ralph

I cheat a little. Since my Toro string trimmer, Weed Eater Hedge trimmer and the Poulan Wild Thing saw (Ya, I know its a POS! - never again!) all spec 40:1 everything gets 40:1. I use the same mix in the Mantis tiller that specs 50:1 so it gets a little extra oil. I like the idea of having one fuel can for 2 cycle mix!

I use RedLine racing oil in everthing that I work with. The vintage Mall gets regular oil mix oil at 16:1, but it is just a toy.

Say what,kerosine in a saw,pshaw.Then again,if you could get it started ,a person could kill two birds with one stone.Cut wood and fog for mosquitoes at the same time,a rather novel idea :)

40 to 1

1 can of mix for everything except the weed wacker. It did not like the idea, so I make 32 to 1 for it, 1 quart at a time.

50 to 1 just doesn't seem like enough lube, but with modern stuff it probably is. changing to 40 to 1 is not a whole heck of a lot more oil in a gallon, but it is enough to make me not worry about it. 32 to 1 might be okay, but the carb would need adjustments to run it.

atleast I finally retired the saws that ran 16 to 1. Talk about fogging bugs!!

I run 40 to 1 in all my stuff blowers trimmers and all of my chainsaws. I have run 50 to 1 with out a problem. But I am going to stick with 40 to 1 amsoil or mobil mx2t.

I have been running Opti-2 in all of my saws ....090 and 026's for the last year ...using their standard mix recommendation. I only know that the saws seem to run better and cleaner with it ....has anyone else used this product ....and if so how does it compare to the Mobil oil I seen listed in this thread. Thx again for a great site with great info....RH :rolleyes:

I run them all at 32:1
Amsoil I would never run. I have heard they are in litagation about falsely claiming their products meet certain specs when the product itself has never been submitted for testing.
The Mobil MX2T is, at least by the way my stuff has run, very good stuff. I would not hesitate to use it.
However, I am right now using Motul 600 2T and that will be my choice now for all my 2 strokes.

I run my saws (024 and an old 051) all at 50:1 with syntethic oil and had never problems.

More important is the aging of the mix. Never store the mix for some months. That has killed more saws than all wrong ratios.

Back