Does Stihl have a spy on AS????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is funny. Stihl, the sponser of all those hot saw competitions right? I love my old stihl saws, but there's a reason I won't buy anything that doesn't start with a zero. Maybe they can send an e-mail to mexico telling their people that it's against the rules for them to enter our country without proper documentation and let us know how well that works out for them.

germans , always tryin to take over everything..figured they learned their lesson by now

Worked for a German based company for nearly 30 years - they are a funny lot and this type of mail doesnt surprise me - I love the way that they bow to you US guys and let you download the user manuals on the US site but not on the UK one - a bit too controlling for my liking!!

Spud

Worked for a German based company for nearly 30 years - they are a funny lot and this type of mail doesnt surprise me - I love the way that they bow to you US guys and let you download the user manuals on the US site but not on the UK one - a bit too controlling for my liking!!

Spud

hey, we are stihl's biggest market :)
plus with a leader like barack obama, do you blame them? i wouldnt wana mess with him!

Howdy,
Well it looks like you have to subscribe to get your koolaid electronically. If your not thirst'n for more, just un-subscribe.
Like with any high quality propaganda, you have add in a little truth to make the continuity between facts, and fiction. Just like koolaid is a little dry and tart without the sugar, and water. If they're trying to make a statement they shouldn't use words like "often result". If they're such experts, and it's such a big problem, give us a number with a percent sign after it. "can be" Is it, or isn't it? "can result" Does it, or doesn't? You can see where this is heading.
I think the only thing I agree with is the spark arrestor. Anyways, I'm a disappointed that a company with the resources available that Stihl has, should be able to come up with something a little less transparent.
As far as spy's go, I sure all the players have someone looking at AS. None of them have the balls to show their faces. I had hopes with the Dolmar Rep.. I really thought they were going to step up to the plate. Heaven help us that anybody at the corporate level gets asked an uncomfortable question in public. Gauntlet Anyone?
Regards
Gregg

God forbid....

I admit...its me.

But the only picked me because of my secret ninja skills. :smoking:

pyzamkick.jpg

WW, if that's you, you need a man-bra.

WW, if that's you, you need a man-bra.

Dude, you don need to be French to know it's a mansierre. Sienfeld taught us that. :D :D :D

If that's Wiggs, he's either lying on AS or on Facebook, cause those pics just don't match up. :monkey:

No its a BRO!!!!!!

You guys are buddies on facebook! now I feel left out.

Hah, we can't ALL be Facebook fiends. :D :D :D

Not to mention, Wiggs' lady is mighty classy. No way she'd fall for Flabby Frank the Kickboxing Fool. Dude's even got a hole in his pants in the crotch and you can't see nuthin. What's up with that? :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
OK..

Just a little Hijack.

Why the hell is it so dadgum apparent that every one of us Married above our class?

It's like a Cruel friggin Joke or somethin'.

Good bunch of Hard working decent Joe's, that are uglier than a recycled inner tube patch, with classy Hot wives.

Just wierd.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It is not illegal until your saw is proven guilty for causing a forest fire from modification :jawdrop:

I think Stihl is using that as an excuse to intimidate us & discourage us from modify our saws so they can minimize their warranty claims, which saves them money.

Besides, legal or not, it would be up to US Forest Service to determine that, not Stihl's internet spys, they are more of a "field mouse" than cyber spys IMO.

They seem for have forgotten who has driven them to their success in timber industry all these years.

Perhaps we should switch over to Huskys, Dolmars for a change & help these guys build up their market share a little.

I would never modify my saw but why is it illegal to do so?

If you buy a ford or Chevy and modify it to make more power it is not illegal but why is a saw illegal to modify?

Last edited:
It's no secret that people from Stihl are and have been on AS.
Stihl has to pay to defend itself against dozens if not hundreds of product liability lawsuits every year. They have 70% of the cutoff saw market and most of the lawsuits come from TS cutoff machines, and Chainsaws. Stihl is just covering they're own butt against the EPA, OSHA, and Sue Happy Lawyers.
Stihl produces machines that can be dangerous, and even fatal if operated incorrectly.

I agree it is a lame thing to email, but it's just one more thing that they can use to protect themselves in court.

I have to laugh with all the nonsense replies about spy theories, gestapo practices, etc. which are uttered in this thread. High trees catch a lot of wind, I guess, so it's so easy to understand the bashing of the world greatest saw producer, being Stihl.

Every company selling its products in the US is vulnerable for being confronted with possible lawsuits that can ruin your company. Blood pointed out the single reason why Stihl sends out that particular message : it's to protect their ass, and from a legal point of view, it's absolutely smart instead of lame to sent out those messages to endusers and partners in the field.

It's a clear sign that the manufacterer cares about the safety of their customers, hint hint.

But that said, Stihl doesn't give a hoot if you modify your saws after they have done their duty to inform you of the risks. It even is good for their spares business and warranty claims budget :clap:

To those that perform paid mod jobs for third parties, my single advice is to have a good liability insurance.

To those that have a tree business employing staff, my advice is to not let your staff run anything but stock saws.

America is a nice country but their lawsuits are no joke.

Stihl knows it all to well.

Last edited:
I have to laugh with all the nonsense replies about spy theories, gestapo practices, etc. which are uttered in this thread. High trees catch a lot of wind, I guess, so it's so easy to understand the bashing of the world greatest saw producer, being Stihl.

Every company selling its products in the US is vulnerable for being confronted with possible lawsuits that can ruin your company. Blood pointed out the single reason why Stihl sends out that particular message : it's to protect their ass, and from a legal point of view, it's absolutely smart instead of lame to sent out those messages to endusers and partners in the field.

It's a clear sign that the manufacterer cares about the safety of their customers, hint hint.

But that said, Stihl doesn't give a hoot if you modify your saws after they have done their duty to inform you of the risks. It even is good for their spares business and warranty claims budget :clap:

To those that perform paid mod jobs for third parties, my single advice is to have a good liability insurance.

To those that have a tree business employing staff, my advice is to not let your staff run anything but stock saws.

America is a nice country but their lawsuits are no joke.

Stihl knows it all to well.

Easy there Belgain, your forgetting such e-mails from any saw maker may hurt the Dremel biz and the back yard hack trying to make a buck on the side. Hell it may cost a guy production since his saw can't gain that second or two in the cut without those mods, why he might loose one or two complete cuts in a block of wood in a days time,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Easy there Belgain, your forgetting such e-mails from any saw maker may hurt the Dremel biz and the back yard hack trying to make a buck on the side. Hell it may cost a guy production since his saw can't gain that second or two in the cut without those mods, why he might loose one or two complete cuts in a block of wood in a days time,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Ha, there you are you ole rascal !!!

If many pro loggers like modded saws, there must be a real production advantage. We all like runners that cut wood effectively, so I personally have nothing against running modded saws for private use or as an independant contractor. That is a personal choice, and after all, it's a free world.

Fact however is that modded saws may be violating OHSA and EPA regulations ; I am not sure what the consequenses maybe in case of an accident with a smartass involved, especially if they are used by employees.

Yeah that's true, but some of us like the tourque advantage. Why run a 660 when you can get er done with a tourqued out 460? At the end of the day your arms will thank you.;)

Back