Dolmar 421 or Echo 400?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrice6

Reaction score
New guy with a noob question ~

Moved from the city to ten acres of oaks! House even came with an old (really old) Husqvarna 65 with a 24" bar that still runs great but gets tiresome for limbing or taking down smaller 12" trees. We heat our home with 2 cords +/- a winter. So with a budget of $350-ish which would you pick? Nearest Echo dealer is 15 miles away & Dolmar is 40...... Is the 421 worth the drive?

Definately worth the drive....i've never used an Echo 400 but i have 421 and its worth the drive. The 421 can be had for $329 shipped to your door with a free case.

I don't know what is comparable to what.... Just comparing reviews and prices! At at my limited price point these two saws seem to be at the top of the pack. I have no preference, just want a saw that'll give me my money's worth

I run a portable sawmill and everyone that uses on of my CS400 saws love it, sold one to a regular customer who has a bunch of Husky saws but he brings out that CS400 every time. For sure nothing wrong with a Dolmar 421 except I think it weighs quite a bit more. The CS400 is 13# full ready to cut. Steve

I have both of these models. Both have lost the cat and limiters on the carb and run great. The Dolmar is a pro built saw and is a little heavier but not a noticeable difference. The 421 will put a bigger smile on your friends faces than the CS-400 can.

I'd go with the best dealer of either of these.

The 421 is a fantastic saw. The cat is very easy to remove, and is no reason to avoid that model.
That's fine if one is interested in modifying a saw, but if not one is stuck with a bad band-aid covering up yesterday's technology. I don't assume everyone is into saw mods.

20150610_183157.jpg I love my 400. After the required mods I learned from here, it absolutely puts a smile on your face to run it. Even for 3 hrs after my regular day job yesterday. Cedar, oak, hickory, it didn't care, it just kept a cutting.

That's fine if one is interested in modifying a saw, but if not one is stuck with a bad band-aid covering up yesterday's technology. I don't assume everyone is into saw mods.
It was my choice to remove the cat. Both saws perform well enough the way they came from the dealer. Carb limiter caps cause the biggest problems and even the "modern" strato saws have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CS-400 is lighter, nimbler and more compact. It will be just as fast as the 421 but lacks the torque. CS-450p would be a more direct comparison.

I don't know what is comparable to what.... Just comparing reviews and prices! At at my limited price point these two saws seem to be at the top of the pack. I have no preference, just want a saw that'll give me my money's worth

The PS-421 is a real bargain, meaning it really have no competition in its price/engine size range (in the US that is).

However, it isn't a candidate if you want a really light and small saw.

Back