Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3410 breaths a lot better opened up ....

Post some pictures of the 3400 ...Like I said never seen one ......Whats the eye that you hook too made out of on the 3400.??

I think they are one in the same Ultra? I can't post pics of the 3400, as it was given to it's owner last year... Aspen Urban Forestry.

I don't remember if the beaner hole on the back was junk cast, or aluminum cast... But it was cast.

We clipped a beaner to it, and it did improve the balance of the saw too. With that little bit of weight the beaner added, a guy could balance the saw with one finger on the trigger. I told them to just leave the beaner clipped to the saw if that little bit of balance bothered them.

That Dolmar map is a f:censored:ing joke.

I remember a couple years ago looking to test drive a Dolmar, there were supposedly three dealers in my area.

I called one and asked about their Dolmars.

"Our Whomars?"

Called the second one..."Our Dolwhats?"

Stopped in the third one, they carried homeowner-only. This same shop sells a $575 lawn edger, but their Dolly line topped out at half that.

Them: "We can order one for you."
Me: "So can I."

I remember a couple years ago looking to test drive a Dolmar, there were supposedly three dealers in my area.

"Our Whomars?"

Stopped in the third one, they carried homeowner-only. This same shop sells a $575 lawn edger, but their Dolly line topped out at half that.

Yup, it's that way in a lot of states... More than people think.

I can't wait for your next "joke picture"...morgue, fella with a crazy looking axe...hmmmm. What could be next?:greenchainsaw:

"Our Whomars?"

I had the same thing happen to me with RedMax and Dolmar.

Right now the one good local Dolmar dealer I had recently dropped Dolmar because of all the problems he had with Dolmar not covering warranty work. I've known this dealer most of my life, (local guy) so he tells me more than most would. He said when there was a failure with any of these saws, Dolmar would always blame him or the customer for the failure, even when it was obviously a defective part. In my opinion I think the 7900 is a wonderful saw, but if I had to guess, Dolmar will be no more in a few years, unless they really turn things around.:cry:.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me with RedMax and Dolmar.

Right now the one good local Dolmar dealer I had recently dropped Dolmar because of all the problems he had with Dolmar not covering warranty work. I've known this dealer most of my life, (local guy) so he tells me more than most would. He said when there was a failure with any of these saws, Dolmar would always blame him or customer for the failure, even when it was obviously a defective part. In my opinion I think the 7900 is a wonderful saw, but if I had to guess, Dolmar will be no more in a few years, unless they really turn things around.:cry:.

Dealer support is a huge issue. They pretty much say, "Buy lots of our saws, and have a nice day... Don't call us unless you're ordering more product."

I have not read on any german sites of failures with Dolmar products out of proportion. It might be because the european model has a rev limiter. Who knows?

I have had almost every dolmar I sold (about 50 saws) come back with a scored piston and cylinder

Yeah sure :clap:
Are customers bringing them back because they've pulled the muffler and seen the scoring or have the saws lost power/died?

And if Funky says they've had warranty work on 50 saws... I believe him.

Maybe he HAS had nearly 50 Dolmars back for warranty work but "almost every Dolmar" is a loooong stretch. Maybe he got a bad batch (VERY bad batch) that nobody else in the world seems to have gotten? I own a 5100-S and I know they've had "some" problems in the past (as have many saws) but nearly every Dolmar he's sold? It started off as a serious thread but that went a bit too far. Maybe if he'd sold TWO Dolmars and had nearly every one come back with warranty work I'd have believed him...

As the OP said "one of those "screaming" Dolmar 5100's "....maybe that's why they scream....too lean.

Latest posts

Back