• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Dolmar 6400 and/or Husqvarna 555

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone says USPS is the best option for International shipping, but I have never proven that. I would estimate shipping plus insurance to Canada for you for 16-17lbs will be $80 USD
I ship a fair bit of stuff all over the world and always use USPS Priority. Just shipped a package to Sweden a couple days ago. Rarely have a problem...

...Rarely have a problem...

Rarely have a problem. This is my problem with it. Even if I pack it well? Do everything I need to do on my end? There still may be a problem.

That's where I am out of my comfort zone. The 1st saw I ever shipped in the U.S. I feared, but now it's second nature.

Here is a question to those who have shipped. Anything over $1,000 ×) will be held. I am gonna ship each saw separately. Will they use the total of the 2 boxes as one? (Say I insure each for $500 or $1,00 for the 2. That's over $1,000 in Aus dollar) I want to insure them the most I can, without it being a problem on the other end.

Any help is appreciated. I would consider these both sold then, I just need to work out the logistics.

I have shipped thousands of packages, all over the world, including the Orient, and obscure little islands,here and there, that I had never even heard of, using USPS. The only packages that "mysteriously vanished" were three I sent to Italy (at three different times) all made it to customs, then "POOF!"

Over insuring a pkg is a waste of money, you will only get back what the true value of the item was/is, so, if you insure for $1000 but can only show you sold it for $500, that is the amount you will get back, not $1000.
Pain and suffering do not apply to the USPS LOL.

Rarely have a problem. This is my problem with it. Even if I pack it well? Do everything I need to do on my end? There still may be a problem.

That's where I am out of my comfort zone. The 1st saw I ever shipped in the U.S. I feared, but now it's second nature.

Here is a question to those who have shipped. Anything over $1,000 ×) will be held. I am gonna ship each saw separately. Will they use the total of the 2 boxes as one? (Say I insure each for $500 or $1,00 for the 2. That's over $1,000 in Aus dollar) I want to insure them the most I can, without it being a problem on the other end.

Any help is appreciated. I would consider these both sold then, I just need to work out the logistics.
You are better off shipping two boxes for several reasons, as you have discovered.

You are on the right track with the packing: double box with the destination, telephone numbers, and return address written on both boxes and on several sides. Double wall corrugate is ideal for your outer box (U-Line is a great source for boxes), and you can buy bubble wrap at Wal-Mart inexpensively. Empty water bottles also make excellent space fillers. Use the best 3M tape as there are several grades. I bought a carton stapler but that's probably a little OCD. :rolleyes:

Now I gotta decide what to do with the 036. Maybe I should do my own porting experiment since I got it so cheap.:clap:

You are better off shipping two boxes for several reasons, as you have discovered.

You are on the right track with the packing: double box with the destination, telephone numbers, and return address written on both boxes and on several sides. Double wall corrugate is ideal for your outer box (U-Line is a great source for boxes), and you can buy bubble wrap at Wal-Mart inexpensively. Empty water bottles also make excellent space fillers. Use the best 3M tape as there are several grades. I bought a carton stapler but that's probably a little OCD. :rolleyes:

Now I gotta decide what to do with the 036. Maybe I should do my own porting experiment since I got it so cheap.:clap:

Yeah, I intend on shipping separate, but wondered if I marked them 1 of 2 and 2 of 2, if they would consider them to be "One". To even insure them for the actual worth (over $500 each) then it will be way over $1,000 in the Australian dollars (exchange rate). So I don't want to insure it for $1,000 ($500 each) and it be worth $1,250 over there and get hung up?

I may just do $400 and if in the event something does happen to one of them? Eat the rest of the money myself.

I got some good advice from several members here. I wanted to stop at the Post office today, but my son has a Championship game tonight for baseball and I had to rush home. So I am gonna get some boxes tomorrow (new, not gonna use the ones I have from past saws downstairs) and stop at the P.O.. Ask the questions I have and come home and pack for about 3 or 4 hours :)

I tried to put myself in the buyers shoes. As much as I wanted to say "No, I am staying with the lower 48 only." I have to look beyond the International thing, and step outside of my comfort zone. As humans, we fear any change. This is a big change for me. In the end, I hope we are both happy. It will be a big learning experience for me, and he will receive 2 very Minty saws :rock::rock::rock:

The only problems I've had in over 14 years shipping overseas, is one package returned because the guy was too slow picking it up at customs or P0, I don't remember which. He sent more $ for shipping and I re-shipped without indecent. Another few times packages were held up in customs, but eventually were delivered. Never lost one.

I never insure overseas packages. USPS insurance is a joke and also puts a huge target on the package. I make sure my customer knows I'm not responsible after the package leaves the US. But I do have outside insurance that covers my stuff if needed. I use USPS exclusively and ship hundreds of packages a year.

From a buyer's viewpoint, USPS is better than big brown. UPS dings you at the door with a brokerage fee when the item gets delivered.
Not just a few pennies either. I cannot say anything about FEDEX though, as I never dealt with them.

Well.. I guess I can say are both sold..

Pending payment :) and shipping ;)
Good on you Man! I shipped a bunch of high end folding knives to a guy in Russia. Stuff he never could have found where he lived. The deal made me wicked nervous but it went off without a hitch. This was years ago and I still hear from him occasionally. I used USPS and was able to track its progress in great detail.
He paid a fair price and was thrilled with the knives. Pack carefully and let them fly! Russ

Good on you Man! I shipped a bunch of high end folding knives to a guy in Russia. Stuff he never could have found where he lived. The deal made me wicked nervous but it went off without a hitch. This was years ago and I still hear from him occasionally. I used USPS and was able to track its progress in great detail.
He paid a fair price and was thrilled with the knives. Pack carefully and let them fly! Russ
Russia can be tricky, as their whole system is corrupt.

Latest posts

Back