Dolmar 7900w

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new filter design looks very impressive, but I don't think I'll be spending $80 on it. :dizzy: I guess I'll have to wait to see what the street price will be.

Interesting they state that it's an accessory and not for std. production...

The new filter design looks very impressive, but I don't think I'll be spending $80 on it. :dizzy: I guess I'll have to wait to see what the street price will be.

Interesting they state that it's an accessory and not for std. production...

If it was Stihl, it would probably cost $100:dizzy: :greenchainsaw: Actually, $80 is not a bad price for that type of upgrade. Pretty much in line with the other brands.

No need for them to install it as standard equipment, the regular air filter is fine for the average non-commercial user.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be argumentative here but, isn't this saw intended for commercial use? And I don't know of any Stihls that have or need a filter upgrade. This thing may not retail for $80 when it comes out. Looks like a nice upgrade.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here but, isn't this saw intended for commercial use? And I don't know of any Stihls that have or need a filter upgrade. This thing may not retail for $80 when it comes out. Looks like a nice upgrade.

Can't argue that one. I'm guessing that Dolmar wasn't anticipating the need for such a setup (don't forget, their market share is very small, especially among pro cutters, which are the ones that need that type of air filter). Stihl, on the other hand, especially the pro models, have a much larger market share among professional users.

It's the same way with Shindaiwa. The 577 is a pro grade saw, but the stock air filter can be inadequate for commercial users. But the number of commercial users running that saw wasn't enough to justify a stock heavy duty filter.

Last edited:
It sounds like the new cover may have partially addressed the problem. The only thing I see here is that I think the new improved filter should be OEM on new saws. It's a known weakness, they ought to sell it set up like it should be, that is, with the proper filter. Thanks for the cordial reply.

Last edited:
It sounds like the new cover may have partially addressed the problem. The only thing I see here is that I think the new improved filter should be OEM on new saws. It's a known weakness, they ought to sell it set up like it should be, that is, with the proper filter. Thanks for the cordial reply.

The Air Filter on the PS7900 saw is not a issue I have hundreds of there saws sold and in service and if the user has any brains in his head he will maintenance the saw on a regular basis. As for the poster that says he cant make it through a single cut without the filter clogging I call Bullchit on that one... Im sure this new filter will sell but as far as it being standard equipment I do not see the need for that. Like I have said the standard air filter setup on the PS7900 works very well and it keeps the rear hood nice and rounded for more comfort espically for those who lean over their saws while filing. So Brad as far as the air filter being a known weakness I would not say that and I have hundreds of saws in the field to proove that myth wrong..

The Air Filter on the PS7900 saw is not a issue I have hundreds of there saws sold and in service and if the user has any brains in his head he will maintenance the saw on a regular basis. As for the poster that says he cant make it through a single cut without the filter clogging I call Bullchit on that one... Im sure this new filter will sell but as far as it being standard equipment I do not see the need for that. Like I have said the standard air filter setup on the PS7900 works very well and it keeps the rear hood nice and rounded for more comfort espically for those who lean over their saws while filing. So Brad as far as the air filter being a known weakness I would not say that and I have hundreds of saws in the field to proove that myth wrong..

Scott, that's pretty much what we've seen here, we haven't sold nearly as many as you but the only complaint we've had on the air filter is from a logger that said he has to clean the filter once a day. How many saws do you have in commercial use?

Either way, I definitely don't think it should come stock with the HD filter.

Last edited:
Scott, that's pretty much what we've seen here, we haven't sold nearly as many as you but the only complaint we've had on the air filter is from a logger that said he has to clean the filter once a day. How many saws do you have in commercial use?

Either way, I definitely don't think it should come stock with the HD filter.

LOTS in COMMERCIAL USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as a side note the saws usually get broken and or smashed from accidents before they need re ringing commercially...

Scott

I have well over 100 out in the hands of commercial users right now, and have not had any major complaints about the air filters. The only thing that some customers have commented on is the slight trace of fine dust in the throat of the filter, but as of yet, I have not seen a 7900 failure due to dirt ingestion if the filter is maintained properly. One thing I have recommended to the guys that worry about the fine dust inside the filter, is to use air filter oil (Klotz works well). The results have shown zero dust inside the filter after a day worth of cutting. Either way, until I see a saw fail due to dirt injestion I feel it's a mute point. Obviously the filter is doing what it was designed to do.

Your pro customers in the east operate under different conditions than out here...I've run the 7900 series saws in the woods myself on commercial timber felling operations, and the filter couldn't make it through one shift without having to be removed and the fines knocked off of it. That's not acceptable here in a professional setting. The air filter system on that series of saws was designed for hardwoods primarily, and it shows. Long bars and dry softwood create much finer dust which is also a challenge for HD Husqvarna and Stihl filters. At least they can make it through one six-hour cutting period without needing attention. If you doubt this at all then I invite to come on out west and I'll get you up on timber sale and show you the results first hand.

Your pro customers in the east operate under different conditions than out here...I've run the 7900 series saws in the woods myself on commercial timber felling operations, and the filter couldn't make it through one shift without having to be removed and the fines knocked off of it. That's not acceptable here in a professional setting. The air filter system on that series of saws was designed for hardwoods primarily, and it shows. Long bars and dry softwood create much finer dust which is also a challenge for HD Husqvarna and Stihl filters. At least they can make it through one six-hour cutting period without needing attention. If you doubt this at all then I invite to come on out west and I'll get you up on timber sale and show you the results first hand.
Nothing like the dry dusty multi inch thick bark of a big Doug fir for air filters. So Dolmar will concede not to try and compete west coast.

Last edited:
Nothing like the dry dusty multi inch thick bark of a big Doug fir for air filters. So Dolmar will concede not to try and compete west coast.

Exactly, or Western Red and Incense Cedar, Yellow Pine, Redwood, Pacific Yew- I can go on and on. There's a reason Dolmar is coming out with this new air filter system, and it's not because the current system is working 'flawlessly' for every customer.

Back