Dolmar/Makita questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing, apart from the fact that the founders of both brands worked at the same factory back in the 1920s (before they founded their own respective ones).

Is it true that Dolmar invented the gas chainsaw . . . and then tested it on Germany's Mt. Dolmar (and thus the name)?

Is it true that Dolmar invented the gas chainsaw . . . and then tested it on Germany's Mt. Dolmar (and thus the name)?

It is no more (or less) true than that Andreas Stihl did so - the company they both worked for made chainsaws, and chainsaws were made long before that.

Basically it is about how you define a chainsaw, and just about "everyone" define it the way that suits their agenda.....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Also I've just been using the mix for my stihl. I use the hp ultra synthetic 50:1 with shell v power. Seems to run great in the dolmar?

It is no more (or less) true than that Andreas Stihl did so - the company they both worked for made chainsaws, and chainsaws were made long before that.

Basically it is about how you define a chainsaw, and just about "everyone" define it the way that suits their agenda.....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

gotcha

makes sense

Is the HD air filter kit worth it at 80 bucks? I am assuming that it can go much longer between cleanings. Any peformance gain w/ it vs. the regular OE filter?

Is the HD air filter kit worth it at 80 bucks? I am assuming that it can go much longer between cleanings. Any peformance gain w/ it vs. the regular OE filter?

I noticed a slight gain in power when fitted to one of my stock 7900's (they're all modded now) but in my conditions the Dolmar HD system is worth every cent.

80 years DOLMAR
This is from the dolmar website

I would encourage you to try the stock filter and see if you find that its performance or service interval is lacking then you can upgrade. I would not seek the HP kit solely for power gains, this will most likely disappoint.

I would encourage you to try the stock filter and see if you find that its performance or service interval is lacking then you can upgrade. I would not seek the HP kit solely for power gains, this will most likely disappoint.

Ditto.

If you are mainly cutting clean/green in North America you probably won't need the HD filter, maybe just pick up a spare or two of the OE filter so you can swap in the field if you need to. (and is what I did for a long time)

Where it does pay for itself is where Matt said, the type of timber we routinely cut here.

yes, but somebody has to be the first;
even if one made the first saw that looked like x and the others the first saw to look like y
that only matter to a philosophical level.
like England invented football and the Brazil won more world cups than anybody. (I think)
:D
to me at least matters who makes the best saw that may affect me as a buyer. and since I`m spending my 0.02$, to be completely honest I have no clue who`s the best. I know who`s my favorite but that`s irrelevant.

yes, but somebody has to be the first;
even if one made the first saw that looked like x and the others the first saw to look like y
that only matter to a philosophical level. ........

The discussion have been going on for years on different saw forums, but nobody has come up with a good answer so far......

does it even matter? Husky started making saws like 30 years later and they're probably some of the most innovative saws on the market...

No, it doesn't matter, it is just an academic question that nevertheless is important to a few people. :msp_rolleyes:

I believe that stihl invented his first chainsaw about the same time, however his first models were electric.

well, if this is not the place to place the bricks for foundation of that establishment I don`t know who else will be mighty enough to set things straight and set loose the light of truth...

Chainsaws were in use well before the late 1920s, when the Stihl and Dolmar thing happened! :msp_wink:

Yes, but the distinction was that prior to Andreas Stihl and Emil the saws were big industrial ones.

These two fellows made them portable, as in two people could sort of carry them around and use them and I believe the distinction between them from what I've read was that Emil Lerp used a petrol powered engine before Stihl, who used an electric motor for his first one.
Lerp's saw was carried into the forest and used, rather than just at a mill.

It was still a fair while before the one man operated chainsaw as we know it came about, the saws that Stihl and Lerp (Dolmar) first made were huge.

Back