Dolmar or Makita

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmore

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need a chainsaw and I have found a new Dolmar 111 ( discontinued model ) with a 16" bar for $300.00 at a dealer. I have heard that I can probably find a Dolmar 540 for about that price ( I see one listed on the internet for $339.95 w/16" bar ) and I just got off the phone with a fellow in Duluth, GA, a manager with Dolmar/Makita, who says that I can easily obtain a Makita DCS54018 (18" bar), locally, for under $300.00 ($296.00). He said either of these saws would be fine. What are any differences between these saws and does anybody recommend one of these over the other? There are no authorized Makita dealers in Alabama, or so I'm told. It is widely sold retail throughout the state and there are a few authorized service shops around. There is one Dolmar dealer locally, that I know of. His shop is not an authorized Makita service provider and he doesn't have any Dolmar 540s.

Don't get the old Dolmar 111 unless you have a good resource for used parts.

Just so you know-Elmore plays a mean Penny whistle! I hope you get exactly what you want Elmore. -They are all good.

Elmore I bought 2 makita 520I new in box but 10 year old saws last winter. I checked with makita befor I bought them and there are plenty of parts for these saws. 540 parts will interchange but the 520- 115 i saws had a little more power and that was because of the carb and they had the chrome cylinder not the nickasil. I gave $200 for each of these saws and he still had about 10 of them left.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back