Dolmar sachs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregoncutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just inherited a Dolmar sachs chainsaw, I think they were a popular a little befroe my time of running saws, the labels says it's 133 ccs, and I'd say it's about a mid to late 1980s model, it has a 36'' bar and chain. I cleaned everything up and it runs great, and looks like new. I wouldn't mind using it for work everyonce in awhile, but the question I have is are there many new or used parts available for these saws, if not I''ll probably take it easy with it.

I just inherited a Dolmar sachs chainsaw, I think they were a popular a little befroe my time of running saws, the labels says it's 133 ccs, and I'd say it's about a mid to late 1980s model, it has a 36'' bar and chain. I cleaned everything up and it runs great, and looks like new. I wouldn't mind using it for work everyonce in awhile, but the question I have is are there many new or used parts available for these saws, if not I''ll probably take it easy with it.

I think some parts are available. Go to chainsawcollectorscorner.com to look up what you have and then check out chainsawr.com he has a bunch of used and NOS dolmar parts, probably could help with ID and part numbers too. If it is a 133 you got a heck of a runner.

Not real sure exactly, only label I could find or what's left of it on it was, on the gas tank handle assembly, it said dolmar sachs maybe sachs dolmar, super 133cc, 5.2 cu in, 10. something horsepower, it has a full wrap handle looks like You could use it as a rollcage for a jeep, and my grandfather inlaw had taken the chainbrake off. I could,nt find anyother lables or tags on it, and the saws sitting it our shop and I am at home a few miles away. If theres anything in specific I should look for to identify it better I can look for it this evening when I go down there. The lable isn't in the best of shape and sometimes my memory isn't either, I find the hp rating very hard to believe.

Last edited:
Not real sure exactly, only label I could find or what's left of it on it was, on the gas tank handle assembly, it said dolmar sachs maybe sachs dolmar, super 133cc, 5.2 cu in, 10. something horsepower, it has a full wrap handle looks like You could use it as a rollcage for a jeep, and my grandfather inlaw had taken the chainbrake off. I could,nt find anyother lables or tags on it, and the saws sitting it our shop and I am at home a few miles away. If theres anything in specific I should look for to identify it better I can look for it this evening when I go down there. The lable isn't in the best of shape and sometimes my memory isn't either, I find the hp rating very hard to believe.

Those hp are the old bto SAE kind - not comparable to the currently used hp.

5.2 cui fits with 85cc and the 133 Super.

I believe 4.5kW is 6.3 "modern" hp - but that may have been a bit optimistic.

Last edited:
Can you post some pics please - it's a nice one

Very nice saw ....and a Super too / nice one....there may be a little silver plate at the base on the crank case . Hidden partially by the chain sprocket cover and possibly crud....approx 1" x 1/2" .Has the model numbers 133 or 133 S .
SH parts do surface for this one and one of the site sponsors may be able to hook you up with the chain break if you want it......a very nice saw.... work it but be kind.

Some parts are available and some aren't. The electronic ignition is not available from a dealer. Chain brake parts are available. The older style air filter which uses 2 mounting bolts is not available. The newer style which mounts with three bolts is available. I had to buy the parts to switch mine to the newer style air filter but it was all available from the dealer. My 133 has a 20 inch bar on it but it could handle more. I don't think I would go over 28" but that is just me. I like the 133 it runs strong. I still need an ignition coil for my 143 which is the same as the 133 if anyone has one.

Sounds like you have a Sachs Dolmar 133 Super.

I have owned and run a 133. heavy, buy loads of torque. Some parts are hard to come by, but the saws are very reliable and you might get lucky and not need parts any time soon.

If you get a chance, buy a parts saw. The coils seem to be a weak point, so pick up a good coil if you can.

good runnning old saws

I've used it 3 days now on a clear cut unit. Still running a 32'' bar, mostly fir, some oak, between 18''-32'' d.b.h. Not the fastest r.p.m wise but You can sure dog her into some wood and it pulls right on through. I only wish I could find an outside spike (dog) for it. Was sachs Dolmar their own company or were they owned by a larger outfit, like stihl? And yes it is a super 133::)

I love the old Sachs Dolmars. A buddy of mine has the 133 and loves it. I had a 143 and got stupid and sold it. I've try to buy it back with no luck. :mad:

[snip]
Was sachs Dolmar their own company or were they owned by a larger outfit, like stihl? And yes it is a super 133::)

Sachs (Fichtel and Sachs) was a large German company that bought the Dolmar chainsaw company around 1975. Sachs majority shares were then bought in 1987 by Mannessman AG, an even bigger conglomerate who then spun off Dolmar to Makita in 1991.

[edit]
http://www.dolmar.com/company/history/80_years_dolmar.html

Last edited:
I liked the line up of the Sach Dolmar saws. IMO they were the equal of any saw made in reliability and durability.They are or were some of the easiest starting saws that I have ever run. A bit heavy, but rock solid.

The 7900 is the equal of the older Sach Dolmar saws, but some of the other line up, I'm not sure about them.

Easy

I liked the line up of the Sach Dolmar saws. IMO they were the equal of any saw made in reliability and durability.They are or were some of the easiest starting saws that I have ever run. A bit heavy, but rock solid.

The 7900 is the equal of the older Sach Dolmar saws, but some of the other line up, I'm not sure about them.
:agree2: That old saw starts on the second pull everytime, pull the choke , pull the rope it pops, push the choke in pull the rope, it starts and idles. The airfilter design seems well engineered also it get's very litle sawdust or chip into the housing. That saw is also one of the quietest saws I have. My only concern is the possible lack of replacement parts for it.

I no longer have a source for replacement parts. Cutin Scott has a lot of parts, but some are out of stock and no longer availability.

My only solution is to buy a parts saw.

Latest posts

Back