Dolmar's PS-5100S & PS-540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.R.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, Guys

Having run a blue DSC 540-21 [PS-540] for several years, was wondering how much better & what the finer points of the 5100 are?
The 540 being .8 of a pound lighter, .2 cubes bigger, but 2,000 rpm's slower, how would and end of day, cord or piece count stack-up?

Stihl 026Pro
Makita DCS 540
Stihl 064
Sachs/Dolmar 153

Hello! M.R.
I was just own Makita's web site and couldn't find the DCS5100?
I own a DCS540 w/21" bar and I love it,bought it Dec.last year for $339
an 06' but now there $540, a $200 differents Wow! Holly S**T.:eek:
Mamita also has the DCS6401 w/ 20" 24" 28" or 32" and 64cc-3.9 C.I.D for $589
and it one Bad A** Saw.
If your looking for another great saw That I like alittle Better is the
Husqvarna 353 that I bought in Feb.06' for $316 with 2 chains 6 bottles
oilmix, 1 qt barLube and it's got .4 more CC's,1peice Magnesium Crank housing that only othrer top quality higher priced saws have- not ever the Husky Rancher 455 which has a Split poly(Heavy Duty Plastic) Crank case.
PM me if you'd Like more info, I did about 6months research and now own
12 Chainsaws. :cheers:

Last edited:
The PS -5100 and PS-510 are taking the place of the PS-540 over the next 1-2 years. I have rented the 540 and had super service except for the never ending bar oil leak. I've sold a PS5100 to a local tree surgeon and he said that it is as strong or stronger than the 026PRO's he was running. The 5100 will hang with the 540 if not out perform on the speed of cut and torque.:chainsaw:

The PS-510 has less power than the 5100 and the 5100 is pro version.

Tenacrewoods;
Don't know why you were looking on the makita web site for a DCS5100? I got lazy & shortened the PS-5100 to 5100 don't know what the makita number would be. Last time I was on e-bay the DCS 540-18 would have brought a whisker above $300. w/shipping, someday I'll kick myself for not picking another 1 or 2 of them up. Husqvarna are good or so I hear, over time will be phasing the Stihls out. Next saw I'm thinking of is the PS-7900 to replace the 064, which btw only has about 5" run time on a $350. top end cause someone used my saw gas in her lawn mower and replaced it and I didn't pick up quick enough that it wasn't mixed. Hindsite :bang: I wish I could of added to the rebuild on the 064 and put it towards the 7900.

Donny:
I hear you on the "never ending bar oil leak" small price to pay :heart: for the way this saw performs. Its not hardly fair to compare it to the stihl 026pro the only thing I like between the two on the stihl is the inboard chain break & the side chain adjustment. I remove the back meat or notch out the rear portion on all my bars, this also helps a lot on the 540 with the outboard chain brake to remove/install the bar & chain.

After reading the last post and the other one last night on the 5100. I went over the rules...........#20 wants you to know what you are talking about, stating you are a dealer would be a good indication that you do......rule #1 prohibits from saying you know what you are talking about by stating you are a dealer unless you care to pay up. Get what I'm talking about? :confused:

Here are some specs on the PS-540 vs PS-460 vs PS-510 vs PS5100s.

attachment.php

The Dolmar PS-540 is being discontinued, the only stock left is at the distributor or dealer level.

Makita has discontinued all their Gas Powered chain saws except for the DCS540 (PS-540) & DCS6400 (PS-6400). They are probably only there for the rental contracts they have with xxxx xxxxx.

The weight difference between the PS-540 & PS-5100 is the 540 has the chain brake in the side cover and the 5100s has an internal chain brake.

Steve

SORRY ABOUT THE D-WORD!!!!!!!!! Well my some what expert opinion is everything I said except the D-WORD. I have not quite memorized the rules yet. :bowdown:

Latest posts

Back