Done with hydraulics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrybeaver

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just sold my 22-ton hydraulic splitter. I value my time, hydraulic splitters don't. The splitter I had was a 15 second cycle time. I will be ordering a super split on Monday, Paul is having a sale for the tax free weekend. It looks like the lawyers got involved in DR's redesign making it necessary to use both hands to operate levers in order to make the splitter work, wouldn't even consider that splitter now.

I have both and my hydro is used only for the monsters too heavy to pick up. About the DR, when it did start needing two hands? I've never needed more than one for my rapid split. Either way, you'll enjoy the work getting done quicker.

Shea

Kinetic splitters are not fantastic on knots, forks and very tough wood so hope you are not trading speed in one area for having to noodling on another.
Kinetic splitters are quite a bit quicker on general straight grain wood VS Hydraulic.

Kinetic splitters have a much higher danger factor in general use.
Lack of attention on a hydraulic will probably result in a bad finger pinch or cut, but a kinetic will probably result in a loss of a finger or badly broken hand.

Hydraulic splitters yes slower but much more raw power to deal with the nasty %.

Both IMO are the best setup.

morewood,

I think the two hand operation is intentional just because of the ease of removing a hand on a kinetic.
Better to have the second hand doing something out of harms way than holding a round in place on a machine that is faster than an axe swing.

Last edited:
My SS has absolutely no problems with knots and crotches.

I does help to 'read' the wood though and split it the way it wants to be split.

After owning a SS for 3 years now, no way could I ever go back to hydraulics!!!

Last edited:
sunfish,

What do you split?

I've tried kinetic splitters on a few things.
all elm, some hickory , black locust and most of the nasty crotches of most things are not split well or not at all so they get left in a giant pile for a regular splitter to split.
You are totally correct planning on each split makes a difference.

Guess it's like anything though speed VS brute force and each has a place.

It is 2,500 with the production table. I live in Old Lyme anyone in the area who wants to try it out is welcome, you can split as much of my wood for me as you like!

let me know when you get it, I may come over and look at it. I live in East Haddam.

Ummmm.... you are aware that not all hydraulic splitters are so painfully slow??
Still, if I could justify it, I'd have both an inertia and hydraulic splitter.

The best hydraulic splitters I could find were about a 10 second cycle time, to get a machine like that or with more tonnage and a 4 way and I would be in over 2 grand, super split isn't that much more. If I am unhappy with the super split there is a huge demand and should be able to sell for good money, used hydraulics are plentiful on the market and harder to sell. I also like how it splits, hydraulics seems to make more of a mess creating more slash as they power through.

I have both and my hydro is used only for the monsters too heavy to pick up. About the DR, when it did start needing two hands? I've never needed more than one for my rapid split. Either way, you'll enjoy the work getting done quicker.

Shea

The redesigned model has a short video, it shows in the video one lever that needs to be lifted up so the second lever can be pushed to engage the rack and pinion.

Ummmm.... you are aware that not all hydraulic splitters are so painfully slow??
Still, if I could justify it, I'd have both an inertia and hydraulic splitter.

Kinetic splitters are not fantastic on knots, forks and very tough wood so hope you are not trading speed in one area for having to noodling on another.
Kinetic splitters are quite a bit quicker on general straight grain wood VS Hydraulic.

Kinetic splitters have a much higher danger factor in general use.
Lack of attention on a hydraulic will probably result in a bad finger pinch or cut, but a kinetic will probably result in a loss of a finger or badly broken hand.

Hydraulic splitters yes slower but much more raw power to deal with the nasty %.

Both IMO are the best setup.

morewood,

I think the two hand operation is intentional just because of the ease of removing a hand on a kinetic.
Better to have the second hand doing something out of harms way than holding a round in place on a machine that is faster than an axe swing.

I have neither :msp_sad: but our local wood ministry has several of both. Wood is sorted for the two types. On most wood the SS can't be beat. With both there is a learning curve and unique techniques for best production. And yes, we have had several injuries requiring trips to the ER. None that I an aware of to date with the SSs but a fellow using his own DR lost the end of a finger.

Based upon my limited experience and the nice straight grain wood I cut for my personal use, if I could justify $2500 for a splitter then I would go SS. Right now with my limited personal use I can't justify $750 for a splitter.

Ron

Guess I am just slow then, a hydro splitter works as fast as I want. I run a 35 ton with a four way wedge, and wood is carried away by a belt. With decent wood I find that the belt is generally full of wood evenly spaced enough that the guy on the other end can stack at about the same pace as I split, and when you put in ten hours a day splitting, a guy just really wouldnt want to go any faster. But then again, I am getting old too.

I just sold my 22-ton hydraulic splitter. I value my time, hydraulic splitters don't. The splitter I had was a 15 second cycle time. I will be ordering a super split on Monday, Paul is having a sale for the tax free weekend. It looks like the lawyers got involved in DR's redesign making it necessary to use both hands to operate levers in order to make the splitter work, wouldn't even consider that splitter now.

Harry,
Paul is fantastic to work with. he remembers every SS he sold. parts and stuff is sent out super fast. and cheap. he knows his stuff well.
you gonna love that SS.

Latest posts

Back