Done with Stihls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hint hint ya say, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I see whatcha saying. Well Mow I told Belgian if he ever decides to come from Germany to Virginia I would give him that 041 of mine as a token for his long trip. Seems he has his heart set on one too. Tell what I'll do though, if I come across another one I won't even take it home. I'll just toss it in a box and ship it to ya, hows that.

Thall, even if I make it to your place in the future, chances that I will be able to take your 041 with me are kinda slim, and probably will cause me a lot of customs problems. Heck, I have already a bunch of collector saws and I am pretty convinced that a decent 041 in Belgium will find itself a way to my place one day. It's of course mighty nice of ya to offer it to me, but it will please me as much if you hand it to Mow. If you offer me a cup of that cheap folgers while I hit your place one day, is all I need :laugh: :laugh:
So toss that saw in a box and make Mow a happy man...
:cheers:

041AV not a bad saw

I too own an 041AV that has had it's share of issues, bought it used off ebay, figured I'd have a good saw, turned out the oiler wasn't working, fixed that, many many bolts and screws shook out, has bad threads in the alluminum from being over-tightened for years by people working on it with no sense of torque in thier fingers. Carb fell off, Muffler fell off, Fuel tank came loose and nicked up the fanwheel........I used a bunch of blue locktite and all new screws and it hasn't given me any problems since. I was ready to shoot this saw, went out and bought a new MS361 and cut with it every time I go out now, but I still take the 041 along so it won't be lonely in the shop and use it almost as much as I use the 361 (I like the way it sounds and pulls)

If you are thinking Poulan, I can't discourage you there either, the first new saw I bought was a wild thing back in '01 and the only problems it's had was the oiler went bad and the carb came loose. It's got alot of hours on it too.

Lots of good information here. I appreciate it. I was pretty mad yesterday if you couldn't tell. Now to decide what to do. I'll stop in my local dealer (Stihl) tomorrow and see what he thinks. Maybe try out something lighter and new. Oh jeesh I had a Vega. Don't get me started on that.

Check it out!!!

Lots of good information here. I appreciate it. I was pretty mad yesterday if you couldn't tell. Now to decide what to do. I'll stop in my local dealer (Stihl) tomorrow and see what he thinks. Maybe try out something lighter and new. Oh jeesh I had a Vega. Don't get me started on that.

Not sure what your budget is but a MS 361 would fill your needs big time
and you would not regret it and the 353-359 Huskies are nice and there's Jreds and Dolmars etc. etc. but if you dont mechanic well,,, stick with a local dealer like you said cause service and warranty for some is cool....... Just stay way from the box stores (Lowe's & HD) cause they dont service what the sell,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Also For the size of wood you are describing have you looked at the trading post here theres a couple of new in the box Dolmars and a nice husky 372 ????

Last edited:
....... Just stay way from the box stores (Lowe's & HD) cause they dont service what the sell,,,,,,,,,,

Moreover than that,I bought my Jred from the same dealer I got my 026 from years ago.I get good deals on stuff,he throws in a file,hat or whatever sometimes,brings his car to the garage and lets me go out back to shoot the s$#@ with his mechanic and poke around at the old and new stuff.Orrrrrrrrrrr.....I could go in to the big store and talk to the 17yr old in the hardware dept.......:monkey:

Who is your local dealer.??? just wondering....

Thall, even if I make it to your place in the future, chances that I will be able to take your 041 with me are kinda slim, and probably will cause me a lot of customs problems. Heck, I have already a bunch of collector saws and I am pretty convinced that a decent 041 in Belgium will find itself a way to my place one day. It's of course mighty nice of ya to offer it to me, but it will please me as much if you hand it to Mow. If you offer me a cup of that cheap folgers while I hit your place one day, is all I need :laugh: :laugh:
So toss that saw in a box and make Mow a happy man...
:cheers:

That is awful nice of you, it would make me a very happy man
Belgian is the best:rock: .

What ya think of a Poulan 3000? Some people like em. i picked one up yesterday, and it runs pretty well.

Don't know about the 3000, but I had a Pull-on Pro 330. I liked it. It had good power, very nice 2 stage choke pull and a bonafide on/off switch all accessible with the thumb. I bought it on ebay as a refurb shipped to my door for $200. I probably cut 10 cord with it before I fragged the clutch drum bearing which ate the drum too. If it weren't for the 2 month parts wait, I'd still have it. Then I bought a Stihl. Then I bought 5 more. ;) The rest is history.

Disclaimer: Parts availability may be a regional thing so my experience may not be the same as yours.

Well my mind is made up. My wife left this afternoon with my woodcutting partner (my grandson) and just came back with a brand new Homelite 45cc 18" Timberman. They said that will do until I make up my mind. I agree. I filled it with gas and oil and cut down a 6" Jack Pine and blocked it up. I figured to not put to much load on it to break it in. For the consumer type chain it cut good. I'll try it in small oak this week.

Thanks for all the advice to everyone here. I'll try not to be so grumpy next time. Maybe if I fix the Stihl one more time ..........

As per your signature, you have about 5-6 saws, and at least 3 of them "need work". Just throw away or sell those junkers and get a 361 be done with it.

Why have 6 saws all in the 14-20" range and half don't even work?

Another piece of advice don't buy used saws on ebay, unless you buy it cheap enough to rebuild something on them or all of it.

Sam

As per your signature, you have about 5-6 saws, and at least 3 of them "need work". Just throw away or sell those junkers and get a 361 be done with it.

Why have 6 saws all in the 14-20" range and half don't even work?

Another piece of advice don't buy used saws on ebay, unless you buy it cheap enough to rebuild something on them or all of it.

Sam

Wow. Well aint you the expert. last time I checked a man can own as many "needs work saws" as he wanted. I have 3 saws that "need work". You have any advice for me? I will agree on the Ebay advice, too risky. :laugh:

Wow. Well aint you the expert. last time I checked a man can own as many "needs work saws" as he wanted. I have 3 saws that "need work". You have any advice for me? I will agree on the Ebay advice, too risky. :laugh:

I think we all need "work." Or is it; We need "help" with our addiction?;)

I think we all need "work." Or is it; We need "help" with our addiction?;)

Well put! I'll be done as soon as I get a saw for every situation, lets see, Monday, Tuesdat Wednesday.......... Sunny day, cloudy day ,rainy day..... warm day.........ohhh HOLIDAYS!!!!! Man that could be 7 or 8 depending on yourreligion, I can quit anytime I want!;)

My advice or better stated, my opinion is it is commical at best, to have several saws all of the same basic size and 50% of them "need work", but then pic out just one "needs work" saw, and it's manufacturer is the blame, and if the rest of the saws either work or are actually present, why is there a need to purchase yet another saw in the same size range as the rest.

If he is running a crew, then I see the need, but this is clearly not the case.

My advice, is to buy one good saw and sell or pitch the rest. Saves storage space and stress brought on by lack luster performance of subpar saws.

My opinion,

Sam

Latest posts

Back