Done with Stihls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As per your signature, you have about 5-6 saws, and at least 3 of them "need work". Just throw away or sell those junkers and get a 361 be done with it.
Why have 6 saws all in the 14-20" range and half don't even work?
Sam

The little Hommie belongs to my wife. Was her first saw. I'll tell her you want me to throw it away. Stand back a long ways.

The Mac 310 belonged to my Dad. He and I used to cut wood together. He did the limbing with that small saw. Said he was too old for a big saw. I can relate to that right now.

The Mac 1010 was given to me by one of my co-workers before I retired. He and I played bag pipes together and drank gallons of beer. I'm not going to tell him I threw his saw away next time I see him. Don't seem right.

The Stihl exists only to irritate me. But, like me, it's seen better days. And if I get rid of it, there is no doubt it will run perfectly for the next guy. So I may as well keep it. My father-in-law and I cut tons of wood together before he passed away and he was a Stihl man all the way. His two ran perfectly - all the time.

Any more questions? Heh heh.http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif
:cheers:

Stihl ----- junk????

I've been taking timber off my property (about 8 ton/wk for the mill and about 5 cord fire wood/yr.) for over 3 yrs. now. I'm using a 6 yr. Stihl 044 and a 3 yr. old Stihl 018. I have NEVER touched a carb setting on either saw nor replaced a clutch or sprocket (the later probably is overdue). They both jsut run and run and run .... Now the 018 was never meant to do the work that it has been doing (use it for limbing) and is starting to show the wear and tear. It has been replaced by a Hq 353. With the 353 I've had to fiddle with the jets and the oiler as the temps warmed up. Must be a pile of junk. Guess I'll go back to Stihl.

Someone else mentioned that when you buy used you buy some one else tbls. I believe that since every used auto/truck I've bought has been a PITA POS which means ALL GMCs, Fords, Chevys, Dodges and Cats are PITA POS. (That does have a nice ring to it).

Just my two cents worth.

Fred

My advice, is to buy one good saw and sell or pitch the rest. Saves storage space and stress brought on by lack luster performance of subpar saws.

This is true. He could ebay or craigslist the saws and probably come up with enough loot to get a decent firewood saw. Too bad he doesn't have an 066 that needs work, cuz I know where it would go.:laugh:

RB,,,,,hey now!!!!!!

This is true. He could ebay or craigslist the saws and probably come up with enough loot to get a decent firewood saw. Too bad he doesn't have an 066 that needs work, cuz I know where it would go.:laugh:

Dont forget me??????? 04Ultra aint the only 066 fan in tha bunch,,,,,,of course hes a little more teched in tha punkin haid about em than me & THall but then i suppose that goes with out sayin round here.... LOL :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Dont forget me??????? 04Ultra aint the only 066 fan in tha bunch,,,,,,of course hes a little more teched in tha punkin haid about em than me & THall but then i suppose that goes with out sayin round here.... LOL :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Yeah, I forgot. Sorry RR! But he's so close to Ultra though. They could meet halfway for a spot of tea.:laugh:

I wish I could find someone over here with a downer on old Stihls. They go for RIDICULOUS money on flea bay. Pulling one out of the bin would be a good feeling.

So why am I a fan of old Stihls? Not only do they work well when they are set up properly - and most of all maintained, but lots of the important parts are still available new from the dealers. IPLs and manuals are easy to find and almost any part can be sourced from Baileys or Cheapstihlparts in next to no time.

I did try to find out whether Husky parts are as easy to find for old models, but had no takers. Either Huskies don't go wrong, or no-one wants to talk about it.:biggrinbounce2:

Ya I can see the ad. Great deal on non running - broken chain saws. Sounds like a yuppy idea to me.

Went ice fishing today and the fish weren't bitin. So I decided why not spend the day fixin saws. It was a good day. Now all but one work good and got a work out this afternoon in the sunny woods. Chain saws are kind of funny it seems. I have lots of tools and do lots of work. But mostly I only need one of each. Not so with chain saws. It seems you just can't have enough of them for some reason. One mower, one tractor, one tiller, one truck, one ice auger, one outboard, one wood splitter, one each of dozens of electric power tools, and 6 chain saws. Don't make sense.

Ya I can see the ad. Great deal on non running - broken chain saws. Sounds like a yuppy idea to me.

Went ice fishing today and the fish weren't bitin. So I decided why not spend the day fixin saws. It was a good day. Now all but one work good and got a work out this afternoon in the sunny woods. Chain saws are kind of funny it seems. I have lots of tools and do lots of work. But mostly I only need one of each. Not so with chain saws. It seems you just can't have enough of them for some reason. One mower, one tractor, one tiller, one truck, one ice auger, one outboard, one wood splitter, one each of dozens of electric power tools, and 6 chain saws. Don't make sense.

:D Of course it doesn't make sense. Why should you be any different from the rest of us?

:D Of course it doesn't make sense. Why should you be any different from the rest of us?

True.

What I found when I took the Stihl apart was that one of the muffler bolts that fell out some time back didn't get lost in the leaves. Nope, it hid inside the saw. I did a bunch of sawing with it after loosing that bolt too. Never made a peep in there. Then after I fixed that problem, this bolt jumped up and raised heck with the flywheel fins. I can see right where it lodged to knock off half the fins. So in a way it's my own fault this time. Oh well. But the good thing is, I also found my gas leak when using the saw for falling. Fixed that too. It sometimes flooded the saw making it run bad when on its side. Runs good that way now. So things worked out. I have to admit I like the way it starts right up and the way it eats oak logs. I'm not mad at it anymore. Till next time.

And I got a bright red shiny new saw right from China out of the deal.

Back