Don't ship saws by U.S. Postal Service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that man. We finally got a very good Post Master Lady in our tiny, one person Post Office. Really helps with me shipping 300+/- packages per year and 10% of them going out of the US. Never a problem.

shipping chainsaw bars

Just a caution. If shipping a bar use a seperate package and wrap it carefully. I received a 36incher wrapped in cardboard but just gaffer (duct) tape on the ends. In shipping the bar went through the tape. I felt real luck that it arrived at all. It needs something more substantial on the ends.

I also received a saw with the 28 inch bar wrapped individually then taped the the saw's box. I just couldn't believe the USPS office had accepted. It arrived in good condition but sure looked awful.

I have only shipped a saw once and that was recently. I travel a lot for my job. I was in Sacramento for work and drove to Baileys store to kill some time. They were selling off their remaining 372xpw's for $730.00 and for me that was a good deal. I don't really need a saw that big but sometimes need has nothing to do with it.

Baileys won't ship the saw even though I am buying it in the store. I call Southwest Airlines from the store to see if I can check it. Their customer service says I can check the saw since it is new and in the box. Get to the airport the next morning and they ask me what it is and I tell them....a chainsaw. Well, they won't check it and my flight back to Missouri is leaving in 1 hour. I call customer service again while I am standing at the counter and they say that it is legal to check the saw. The lady at the counter says that while it is legal to check it, she says they might have tested at the factory and she won't. Back and forth. I go to defcon five. Finally, a girl picks up the saw and says follow me. Takes me to the FedEx desk in the lost baggage area. Southwest ships lost bags by FedEx and FedEx will ship the saw. Two days later my saw was hand delivered to my door. I am not sure what the charge was though. The woman put it on Southwest's account but if I were to ship another, I would at least call FedEx to see what they charge. The service was great.

I got me one of those small town post offices also. The whole building is only 20' X 12', only has two employees(one just works the other ones days off) and they close it from noon until one for lunch. The PM there knows here stuff though and can figure out any problem with in a couple minutes. She likes me cause all my packages are prepaid and packed very well. The only exception would be the rare occasions that I have one going out of the US by First Class International since that option can not be purchased online, but even then I have everything filled out and all she has to do is weigh it and stick the postage on. Got a buddy In PA that you send him mail address as General Delivery, everyone in town just stops by and picks up their mail.

Shipping to Canada

Sounds like small town post office syndrome. As a Canadian, USPS is the better of all the shipping evils. UPS or Fedex is always nearly double. UPS is nice for the up to date tracking and speed.

I can't wait to see what Simon is going to have to pay for brokerage fees when the saw gets delivered. Simon will likely have to pay fees on the insured value of the saw.

I work for the Post Office, have shipped saws, and recieved saws through the PO, never had a problem. The main problem is what clerk, what mail hander, what carrier, how many installations it's gone through is what matters. Most of our people just want to get the job done. But between all that handling somtimes it is what it is.

Even though the PO can be more expensive at times for shipment, I'll use them anyway, because Priority Mail is two to three days shipping anywere in the US. Priority Mail has a 97% on time rating.
Shipping used to be even quicker but the PO has since closed all Air Mail Centers around the country and now rely on all the airlines and their employees to load/offload and get all the mail to the P&DCs, definitly a step backwards.

Plus one for the Post "Master" being a PITA. People on power trips suck. I've dealt with some pawn shop managers (at national chain stores) who acted like they wanted everyone to kiss their ring.......or something else.

I just received a saw shipped USPS PP DC from TN. Shipped Tue, arrived today ahead of schedule, ETA was Mon, everything appears to be fine.

The saw I traded was shipped the same way on the same day, except I shipped the b&c separately. Hopefully everything will arrive on time in good shape.

Yeah, your problem is you have a dip s**t post master.

I've had one helluva time getting the MS460 to Simon. First attempt the post master claimed she smelled gas, called the day after I left it. I went and picked it up no gas smell. Repacked it, used about a half of can of febreeze air freshner spray in the box. My wife takes it back, all the insurance they let me put on the saw because it was going to Canada was 650.00. Today I get a call that she has had the saw for six working days sitting at her post office checking to see if a box labeled chainsaw will get held by customs at the border. She calls the wife today telling her she (the postmaster) is afraid the saw will be held at customs or will disappear somewhere in route because of the listed value and the description I used (MS 460 chainsaw). I had to pick the saw up at the post office, drive 40 miles to Joplin to the UPS store, it cost me 126.00 to ship it UPS express. They charged me 12.00 to put my box inside another box with packing material around it. I made sure I had them lab el the custom form "repair and return".They let me insure it for 950.00. Bottom line the saw is guaranteed to be at Simon's door next Friday morning. I never thought it would be so hard to mail an item. It could be the result of a small town post master thinking she has to be in everyone's business.
I thought it was ironic that she thought the saw would disappear using her own employer's services, the U.S. Post Office.

if there is anyone who ships a lot of saws a thread outlining the procedures and any tips they have would be of great value to those that have never done it

There are very strick rules for shipping items that have or had fuel in them. You should take a look at the fines for doing such. I think I remember a $10,000.00 fine for shipping restricted items. Gas tanks and chainsaws definitely fit that category.

ZG

Thanks guys for all the tips, I'll drive the nine miles over to the next little post office the next time I ship a saw. This was a costly little lesson.lol

sometimes its worth the extra drive. i only use one postoffice around me as the lady is familier with odd stuff to be shipped and received.

I've had one helluva time getting the MS460 to Simon. First attempt the post master claimed she smelled gas, called the day after I left it. I went and picked it up no gas smell. Repacked it, used about a half of can of febreeze air freshner spray in the box. My wife takes it back, all the insurance they let me put on the saw because it was going to Canada was 650.00. Today I get a call that she has had the saw for six working days sitting at her post office checking to see if a box labeled chainsaw will get held by customs at the border. She calls the wife today telling her she (the postmaster) is afraid the saw will be held at customs or will disappear somewhere in route because of the listed value and the description I used (MS 460 chainsaw). I had to pick the saw up at the post office, drive 40 miles to Joplin to the UPS store, it cost me 126.00 to ship it UPS express. They charged me 12.00 to put my box inside another box with packing material around it. I made sure I had them lab el the custom form "repair and return".They let me insure it for 950.00. Bottom line the saw is guaranteed to be at Simon's door next Friday morning. I never thought it would be so hard to mail an item. It could be the result of a small town post master thinking she has to be in everyone's business.
I thought it was ironic that she thought the saw would disappear using her own employer's services, the U.S. Post Office.

if there is anyone who ships a lot of saws a thread outlining the procedures and any tips they have would be of great value to those that have never done it

I know its an old post but just a word to the wise to those of us who fix and ship saws. This is the first time this has happened to me in years of shipping saws via USPS. I made the mistake of using a "chainsaw box" to ship a saw in. That was the start of the trouble. Then the questions come like a waterfall.. whats in there? Is it gas or electric? has there ever been any gas in there? then.. "I can't ship that". Maybe I'm too honest a guy. I told her the truth.. "at one time there was gas in there ... not now" the answer was still "I can't ship that". I did tell her that i had ship literally dozens of saws through this post office (very small PO) and have never been questioned once. LESSON LEARNED .. "DON'T SHIP IN AN OBVIOUS CHAINSAW BOX" and whatever you do "MAKE SURE THE BOX DOESN'T SMELL LIKE GAS OR OIL". Mine did not smell like anything .. it only was in a SAW BOX. I hope this helps. USPS is still the cheapest route. To prove my theory of mind over matter.. i stopped and got some craft paper and wallpapered the box, taped her up and took to a neighboring PO and all was well. Happy SAWING!

I've bought some OPE items from out of country and it usually is listed as automotive parts or something to that effect. I wonder if that makes it easier at the customs?

Virtually every saw I ship goes out in a saw box- shipped 100's. You do not have to tell them what's in the box, only answer the question regarding flammable/explosive, etc...

Where are you at in GA?
Oxford, GA

I NEVER NEVER use a UPS store to ship anything. Way too expensive and they don't know what the Hell they're doing. Too many part-time employees that don't care about what they're doing.

I don't ship anything close to the amount of saws that some of you ship. But, you don't prep a saw or pack it any better than I do. I've used USPS numerous times and never had any issues. That's cause I simply don't give them any to start with.

I've heard stories and seen pictures of how some saws have been shipped to and from members on this forum. Some simply amaze me, as in NOT a good way.

Not once have I had to declare the contents of a box shipped via USPS. They only ask the same lame questions about hazardous / fragile materials.

I don't ship stuff to Canada anymore. Too much of a royal PITA.

Online shipping to Canada via USPS is a breeze. One form with about 5 questions...takes about 30 seconds.

I've been there and done that. The form or the time to fill it out isn't the issue.

It's Canadian Customs and all the red tape involved on their side. Seems like no matter how much you pay to ship to Canada, somewhere along the line, the cost(s) go up. Then it all comes to a screeching stop until someone gets a wallet out. :mad:

It could be the result of a small town post master thinking she has to be in everyone's business.

This is the problem. I have had this happen sometimes. We had a real bad one out here for a few years, thankfully she moved away. Next time go to a different post office.

I have had to shop around in Anchorage looking for post offices. There is one that is a damned freakshow and almost would be profitable to sell tickets.

Back