Double front pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By far the best I have worn are the Duluth Fire hose . They have lots of room, wear longer than blue jeans, and have lots of pockets . I have the regular fire hose, a pair of light weight bibs, and a pair of double front, insulated winter pants . I like them better than my Carhart doubles or the Riggs (by Wrangler) doubles . The Riggs would be my second favorite . They have a cordura lining in the back pockets so you don't poke holes in them and they have the gusset crotch, as do all the Duluth, which let you bend over without binding .

Prison Blues is the best fitting for me. I like them cause the crotch does not hang down. That is the first thing that goes on the madsens pants, carharts and keys for me, but I have never bust a crotch in the PB's. They are a bit more slim fitting though, and may not be for you. My legs are not real big. My most favorite pants to work in are the Ben Davis Gorilla cut pants though. They do not make them in a double front though, but they are super tuff, don't soak up the water like regular jeans, and are super comfortable. If anyone reading this thread is interested in some Ben Davis Britches I have found and Awesome place to buy them. Go to Gorillagear.com and make sure and order them with the bachelor buttons if you wear suspenders or they will send them too you w/o and don't confuse the original Bens with the Gorilla cut. The Gorilla cut are 10x better!

I just busted the crotch outta my carhart doubles yesterday when fueling up! I've only about 100hrs on em (installed an hour meter) and at $38 a pop around here it pist me off somethin fierce! The wife's gotten good at stitchin over the years though. we'll see.

Alright one more thing, since we're talkin jeans how many days in a row do you boys run the same pair before washing? (obviously climate plays a factor). I'd say I've gone a work week and a half in one pair.

Last edited:
I just busted the crotch outta my carhart doubles yesterday when fueling up! I've only about 100hrs on em (installed an hour meter) and at $38 a pop around here it pist me off somethin fierce! The wife's gotten good at stitchin over the years though. we'll see.

Alright one more thing, since we're talkin jeans how many days in a row do you boys run the same pair before washing? (obviously climate plays a factor). I'd say I've gone a work week and a half in one pair.
What is this washing thing you speak of? lol I have to everyday. I know, I'm a sissy, but it drives me nuts if I don't.

I still have one pair of Wild Ass pants left from the mid '80s, they need a little work before I can wear them to the GTG. They will probably hang off me like a tent.

Dirty jeans is cold jeans!!
I usually try and get 3 days out of a pair in the summer and 2 in the winter, but after they stand up on their own I wash them. There is just too much sweat, dirt , and grease to be washing clothes after one wash..

I still don't understand why guys wear cotton rigging clothes in the winter. They stay wet all day and suck the life right out of you.
Well that's true, but when it was cold and rainy I wore a wool union suit under them. When it got real bad I went to tin pants and coat.

I'm trying to find pants that will do good being welded around and then in the woods. I hate having a bunch of different clothes for just one thing.

I still don't understand why guys wear cotton rigging clothes in the winter. They stay wet all day and suck the life right out of you.

You're right, being wet all day is no fun. I usually wear Grundens when it rains.
I never did like wool pants, polyester gives me a rash in places I can't discuss, and tin pants are too spendy for a tight-wad like me.

Old thread. I usually wear Key black single jeans from Bailey's. They hang from suspenders and aren't exactly for the runway but I don't care what my butt looks like. Matter of fact i haven't seen it in years. Sometimes Prison Blues or Berne (from Bailey's) heavy but cheap and tough. Nomex wildland pants when it rains.

I pretty much always wear either BDU's (cheap, dry quickly, tough, snag-resistant) or Nomex (better than BDU's but expensive). I don't wear Nomex to mark trees as the paint would negate the fire-resistance of the material.

If you don't have a local vendor, you can buy Filson stuff from their website.
Nomex is available from any fire equipment vendor.

So the Filson Tin Cloth is like a waxed pair of Carharts? Website says not to wash, only to wipe or brush, so I am assuming that they acquire a bit of, . . .er, . . .um, . . . 'character' after a bit?

I have had fire-retardant treated cotton clothing before, but not Nomex. Does it feel like polyester when wearing it?

Thanks,

Philbert

(p.s. - I tried to rep you for your helpful response, but the system would not let me!)

I am assuming that they acquire a bit of, . . .er, . . .um, . . . 'character' after a bit?

---------

Does it feel like polyester when wearing it?

Yes and yes, though the new "Advance" material with Kevlar is a bit rougher. Tin cloth takes about three wearings before they look a million years old, and then, properly maintained, it looks that way forever.

Latest posts

Back