Down under car stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
imag0767o.jpg

Great idea Matt, I have been meaning to make up on of those.

Great idea Matt, I have been meaning to make up on of those.

Funnily enough mate I made this up around 6 years ago and never used it. Now that I'm using my personal ute with a tub before my new work ute arrives with a tray it's too low to sit the saw on the tailgate to comfortably file. I went and bought a cheap $40 vice on Tuesday and the old holes lined straight up with the old mount I made for my 12/03 Hilux. Makes things a lot easier although this flexes a bit too much using 50mm x 50mm angle.

So did you fab this up just to sharpen chains in the field? Nice!

Yeah I did. I had an old bent towbar extension from a Hilux sitting around which is standard size so fitted the Nissan. I should have made it a bit longer in hindsight to cover the tailgate so in this case I can't actually drop the tailgate which is a bit of a bummer.

Yeah I did. I had an old bent towbar extension from a Hilux sitting around which is standard size so fitted the Nissan. I should have made it a bit longer in hindsight to cover the tailgate so in this case I can't actually drop the tailgate which is a bit of a bummer.

Any stores around that sell 2" receiver extension? I believe I have seen those at harbor freight. Not sure if they have those down under.

Any stores around that sell 2" receiver extension? I believe I have seen those at harbor freight. Not sure if they have those down under.

Nah we don't have Harbor Freight here but the steel size is standard and I think is 2" square as you say although has more rounded corners than you're average square piece of steel. Quite a heavy guage as well as it is rated for at least 3.5 tonne towing capacity.

Nah we don't have Harbor Freight here but the steel size is standard and I think is 2" square as you say although has more rounded corners than you're average square piece of steel. Quite a heavy guage as well as it is rated for at least 3.5 tonne towing capacity.

Yeah its 2" for sure, 50mm square is a bit sloppy in there and the wall is probably around 4mm.

A bit off-topic(or is there actually a topic in this thread?) - but:

You went from a Hilux to a Navara!? Tsk!

I'm looking at a Disco at the moment. Not bad shape, but they hold their values too much in Europe.

A bit off-topic(or is there actually a topic in this thread?) - but:

I'm looking at a Disco at the moment. Not bad shape, but they hold their values too much in Europe.

disco man have we pulled a lot of them out of the poop think i would rather hav the Navara

wish i could like this twice .

i can push him with me hilux

I've never doubted the toughness or reliability of a Hilux - hell no.
Unfortunately at the time a new model direct injection Hilux was too expensive and my old Hilux was a pig on diesel (15L/100km) and was that bloody rough it was dangerous.
The Navara was 90% of a Hilux off road but 200% better on road.

Some more 241 piccys from yesterday. All small trees with maybe a max trunk diameter of 10". Lots of limbing involved as well to gain access to the trunk.
I ran both my bog stock 241 with a 16" bar, 7 pin rim, and Carlton K3 .325" semi chisel and my muffler modded 550XP with 18" bar, 8 pin rim, and Carlton K1 semi chisel. I averaged 95 trees a tank with the little Stihl and 75 a tank with the 550XP. I dropped just over 100 an hour average with the 241 and just over 90 an hour with the 550. Running the numbers over the day the little 241 therefore dropped around 10% more trees in the same amount of time than the 550XP taking into account fuel refills etc.
There is absolutely no doubt that the 550 is a faster saw in larger cuts (WAY faster) and is an absolute weapon for 50cc. Goes to show that speed in some situations such as this doesn't make as much difference as people think. Despite being a Husky fan the 241 is a lot nicer to use and has a lot better filter with the HD2. Paper specs therefore mean jack sh*t after actually using both.
It was an interesting comparo yesterday despite being just under 40°C (104°f) and with high humidity. I was sweating my tits off.

This was the amount of trees felled with one tank on the 241. It also ran out on the backcut which left it in a lovely position to refill. With the oiler wound up it was running just under 1:1 on the fuel oil.

imag0768r.jpg

imag0767o.jpg

Stihl make a tacho to suit the M-Tronics. Around the AUD$200-220 mark or thereabouts. Bennn*e on here has one.

Matt

your info info is gold I assume you have one and about to get a few orders expect a full on nerd specification request" yes it will work on your m-tronic and your 1960's designed saw"
I have a tacho that works on all but m tronic and strobe and the engineering maths to work it out if I have to
No dis-respect to you to bennn (cnnn) but it needs to make my life easier!

your welding on the toe ball is embarrassing ( Photoshop that sh.t out) "your" welding of a bar was impressive and that pic of the saw in the vise mounted on SHS makes me think the bar welding was done by a sub-contractor.

On a personal note

how is the daddy day care going.
what was the score of the last netball game.
Which ##### was asking for it ...........

your info info is gold I assume you have one and about to get a few orders expect a full on nerd specification request" yes it will work on your m-tronic and your 1960's designed saw"
I have a tacho that works on all but m tronic and strobe and the engineering maths to work it out if I have to

Something to do with the M-Tronic flywheels being dual pole or something along those lines. I won't be buying a $220 tacho for a saw that self tunes as you can't really adjust the rpm anyway. I don't even know the model number of the Stihl tacho but it covers all models of saws apparently.

your welding on the toe ball is embarrassing ( Photoshop that sh.t out) "your" welding of a bar was impressive and that pic of the saw in the vise mounted on SHS makes me think the bar welding was done by a sub-contractor.

Thanks mum. I can claim both welds old son. The bad one was done late on a Friday night after 18 beers. It's actually not as bad as you think :)

Which ##### was asking for it ...........

What's the missing word?

Is the hilux a diesel? I had a 1988 Toyota pickup and now I drive a 2008 Tacoma and love it. I always wanted the the hilux with the diesel but I live in the states so no dice.

yep diesel there a bit slow on the blacktop but i didn't buy it for that but on a good day she'll do 75 MPH

(AND NOW I'M WAITING FOR THE TAIL WIND AND DOWN HILL COMENTS HAHA)

What's the missing word?[/QUOTE]

When my swmbo comes home from netball I get the debrief of the game

It goes some thing like "there was this biarch that keep standing on my foot" so I put my elbow in her nose twice until she backed her fat arse up out my space.

What's the missing word?

When my swmbo comes home from netball I get the debrief of the game

It goes some thing like "there was this biarch that keep standing on my foot" so I put my elbow in her nose twice until she backed her fat arse up out my space.[/QUOTE]

I'll bite, wtf is netball? Basketball?

Latest posts

Back