Down under car stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never doubted the toughness or reliability of a Hilux - hell no.
Unfortunately at the time a new model direct injection Hilux was too expensive and my old Hilux was a pig on diesel (15L/100km) and was that bloody rough it was dangerous.
The Navara was 90% of a Hilux off road but 200% better on road.

16 MPG seems a tad low even for a hilux - especially for the hilux diesel. But I am sure you weren't doin a lot of motorway work with it.

I was also considering bringing in a Tacoma since the taxes on large jeep and trucks is low here. Unfortunately, the fuel isn't cheap here. At the moment we are paying €1.58 per litre. So, that's roughly the equivalent of $8/gallon with the exchange rate taken into consideration. So it'd sting some since I can't get a diesel Tacoma in the States. Can you guys get diesel ones? I wonder if I can get a diesel tacoma on the continent...

Speaking of importing cars, a bud of mine is looking at importing a Shelby GT500 to Ireland. That is gonna be a mad car here.

16 MPG seems a tad low even for a hilux - especially for the hilux diesel. But I am sure you weren't doin a lot of motorway work with it.

Actually 15L/100km is what it averaged at 110kph. It was the 3.0L not common rail turbo diesel though.
We can get either a petrol V6 Hilux or 3.0L common rail 160HP turbo diesel here. Not many V6's get sold.

i get 34MPG out of my old girl

thats us gallon

Isn't yours the old 2.4L normally aspirated diesel though Darren? Reliable as all hell but anything more than a 3° gradient and you have to drop a few gears :D

Actually 15L/100km is what it averaged at 110kph. It was the 3.0L not common rail turbo diesel though.
We can get either a petrol V6 Hilux or 3.0L common rail 160HP turbo diesel here. Not many V6's get sold.

Isn't yours the old 2.4L normally aspirated diesel though Darren? Reliable as all hell but anything more than a 3° gradient and you have to drop a few gears :D

The 3.0L non-turbo was almost worse, I remember loading one up with firewood and then it hardly moved... I thought something was wrong, 3rd gear max. The turbo made a big improvement.

she'll do 115 with a load of box on the flat plus it go's better than me mates 2.8

513 000 km and had to put another donk in her but

My inlaws had to get their old 2.4L Hilux rebuilt at 70,000km after something broke on their inlet manifold and they hadn't realised it was sucking in a heap of dust and sand.

My inlaws had to get their old 2.4L Hilux rebuilt at 70,000km after something broke on their inlet manifold and they hadn't realised it was sucking in a heap of dust and sand.

bumma

I used to have a truck that would pull a tree out of the ground in 3rd gear.

large.jpg

Cat, Cummins and Detroit. My three favorite companions. Have yet to own one but I've driven/worked on each of the 3. I need to find a place to put a project together soon. Beautiful truck. Was it a stick?

Cat, Cummins and Detroit. My three favorite companions. Have yet to own one but I've driven/worked on each of the 3. I need to find a place to put a project together soon. Beautiful truck. Was it a stick?

ZF 6 speed if I recall. Used it mostly for transporting large medical equipment in Texas until I got sick of the ride. It got 19mpg on the fwy empty.

ZF 6 speed if I recall. Used it mostly for transporting large medical equipment in Texas until I got sick of the ride.

View attachment 283966View attachment 283967

This is mine. It has the ZF S6-650 6spd Manual trans in it with a small 8.1liter gas engine. Granny gear *1st* topped out at 5600 rpms and 18 miles an hour. We tried it ONCE and ONCE only. I love the truck. It'll pull anything I point it at and is a blast to drive. I debadged it and everyone thinks its a 4x4 1500 until they realize its a 2wd 2500. Love my truck. Those two pics are the day I towed my buddy to MIR *Maryland International Raceway - Budds Creek*. There was nobody there so I ran the truck while he was running the mustang.

Hmmm. Looks like we got shifted.
Have to laugh as it's not like there were any 241 mods going on anyway :D
And what's this "Down under car stuff" garbage? There were Irish and Americans posting about cars too :(

This is racism :D

I was trying to put his thread back up at the top with a reply to what you put in seeing as he already said he planned to make a new thread. WE WERE BOTH IN THE WRONG and he was nice enough to just move the posts without booting us both in the back sides. I'm not going to complain.

Interesting... nice chainsaw vice on the ute there Matt.

Maybe if we talk about enough chainsaws we'll get moved back :D

Interesting... nice chainsaw vice on the ute there Matt.

Maybe if we talk about enough chainsaws we'll get moved back :D

I know you're talking about the truck when you say *ute* and thats fine. What are you referring to in *nice chainsaw vice on the ute*?

I was trying to put his thread back up at the top with a reply to what you put in seeing as he already said he planned to make a new thread. WE WERE BOTH IN THE WRONG and he was nice enough to just move the posts without booting us both in the back sides. I'm not going to complain.

I'm pretty sure the thread was derailed well before we came along. Randy's a good bloke but starting a thread on modding the 241 when the grinder wasn't even going to come out for a few weeks was bound to get a thread off track.
I have to agree with what reindeer said and this isn't pointing the finger at anybody in particular but when you open up the chainsaw page half the threads started now are from site sponsors trying to plug themselves or their products.
I'm pretty sure we all know by now who builds saws and who sells cylinder kits.

Latest posts

Back