Draft mules at work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, you happen to know Don Kavelis up in MN? An old bud of mine, a dear friend. (F) Foreign Legionaire. We tried to log Superior while I was a contracting ranger and the district got so excited they authored a hundred pages on benefits.

I don't know how popular being a teamster has become, I know it's a very profitable venture if hooked-up to the selective log market and promises to have uses where many tender sites in Federal lands (or private) have been omitted due to environmental constraints.

Are you busy enough with those blokes?

Oakwilt,no I dont know him. There are a suprising number of people in every state that use horses,mules and even oxen to log with.
I just log on private land. Mostly small jobs. Usually I stay busy and am 1 to 2 mos. behind.

John

Just thought I'd ask about Don - he's busy up in MN too, training and driving. I'm proud you guys are out there doin' it. As a youngster I farmed next to Claussen in Tama County, IA/ He raised a lot of the lead teams for the Budweiser wagon and exclusively tilled with his Clydesdales. Impressive power.

Although I generally stay behind, my wife usually goes up to Arkansas to visit with good friends - Trout Fishing In America dudes. They camp and play together a lot. One of these times I'd like to go with and check-out your operation.

This is a plea to any other animal loggers to post some pics and or talk on this great Arborist Site. Just saw an elephant on the tube that was decking logs with his trunk. Now that would be usefull! Would need a different hauling trailer for sure:D

john

Hey John,

Reckon an elephant is any less fuel-efficient than a mule or are they about the same in that respect?

Glen

john these have been some fascinating pics. do you ever feel like you are practicing a lost art? do you have any young apprentices who are learning the trade?

arboromega, the only time I feel like it's a lost art is when I am trying to buy or make some odd tool that I need. Actually there are quite a few people who do this all across the country.

Rusty, If you mean where would you buy a team that is broke for the woods, you might try to locate a Draft horse assoc. or club in your area and ask them if there are any local loggers. You could contact the North American Horse and Mule Loggers Assoc.

John

Do a search on "Rural Heritage Magazine"
They have all kinds of ongoing how to on draught animals and lots of for sales, Oxen, horses and mules. I have a video of a school friend who has horse logged in Central British Columbia for the past 15 years. I may have some of his poetry if my wife hasnt got the package back to his sister. He has made a decent living according to his liking. Not much fat on that guy.

Arkansas Toothpick

I know their not Doug fir or Sitka spruce, but here are some big SYP for these parts. This is a recent job along the Fouche La Fave river. Ten acres surrounded by hundreds of acres of hay fields. The ten ac. were too wet to farm so its still in timber. Mostly nice red oak but there were about 25-30 pine that pine beetles had gotten into and killed several with most of the rest infected.

John

Here is a neat homemade tool called a bullhook, for us winchless folk.:D I first learned of it from Glen French in a newsletter of the NAHAMLA. For taking a holt of the bight of small diameter wire rope and not kinking it. Chain works good on the larger diameters, but this works better on smaller line.

John

Latest posts

Back