Draining gas mix for storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tilenick

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have never drained/ran dry the mix in any of my saws, I just ran them some during the dormant months and i have not come into any problems with stale gas or deteriorating rubber. But since i have aquired CAD, I have more than a few to maintain and I would like some opinions on how to store my collection to maintain their fuel lines and diaphragms. Any words would be appreciated.
Nick.

I have started dumping the fuel from mine and then running them dry due to the issues with fuel you buy today. I am amazed at the length of time my 200T will run with no fuel in the tank! Modified Mark posted a picture of a fuel recovery system on the Poulan thread I will try to find. I had been running the dumped fuel in my mower, but it fouled up the plug last weekend.

[EDIT] I found Mark's post:

Here is that little degassing station I threw together!

Not fancy but it works for now.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have never drained/ran dry the mix in any of my saws, I just ran them some during the dormant months and i have not come into any problems with stale gas or deteriorating rubber. But since i have aquired CAD, I have more than a few to maintain and I would like some opinions on how to store my collection to maintain their fuel lines and diaphragms. Any words would be appreciated.
Nick.

+1

I have started dumping the fuel from mine and then running them dry due to the issues with fuel you buy today. I am amazed at the length of time my 200T will run with no fuel in the tank! Modified Mark posted a picture of a fuel recovery system on the Poulan thread I will try to find. I had been running the dumped fuel in my mower, but it fouled up the plug last weekend.

[EDIT] I found Mark's post:

Hmmmm...................Mark has more fuel jugs than Carter's has pills.

I just use a white plastic bucket (Double Bubble gum) to dump in. Let stand and decant back into fuel jug or Blondie's car.

I guess what I am asking is when you run the saw out of fuel is it enough to just let it die and then store it? Or is there something else to do?

I guess you could wash and wax them as well.... I just run them dry and put them on the shelf. I always do crank them again after ther initial die off to be sure I have run all the fuel out. Seems to me that my Stihl's will run the longest on empty tanks.

I guess what I am asking is when you run the saw out of fuel is it enough to just let it die and then store it? Or is there something else to do?

I also leave the cap off the gas tank for a couple days in order to let any lefotver fuel evaporate from the tank. I loosely stuff a paper towel over the opening to keep anything from getting in. Once the fuel is gone, put the cap back on and store the saw.

What is "seafoam fogger"? Thanks.

Its just a cylinder fogger that people use to spray into the cylinder when storing a car, etc. Seafoam is just a brand name. There are others out there. Bought it at an autoparts store. Like I said, not sure if its necessary in a 2 cycle engine due to the oil in the fuel but, why not.

If it isn't too many saws, perhaps run it down, then retop up with the canned premix, then start up and run it enough to get it through the carb and into the crankcase? That would last awhile and not gunk up your saw I think.

These saw companies and other small engine places really need to work on their materials science better for the flexible things on the saws, fuel lines and carb gaskets, knowing full well about the poor quality gasoline today.

More and more I'm starting to see Tru-Fuel and similar premixes at small OPE shops around me.

Too expensive for the volume users perhaps but for homeowners and cottagers it might make sense.

Anything with a plastic tank, I drain and run dry.

Anything with a metal tank is kept full of gas and a bit of fuel stabilizer added, if I have some around. Otherwise, shut the fuel off run engine until it stops and put it away. This is mostly for motorcycles with metal tanks. Keeping them full minimized condensation during our northern winters if they're store in an unheated building.

Got way too many pieces of OPE and other toys to be going through elaborate shut down procedures.

Nick.

I never drain anymore since I use 100LL airplane fuel. No problems in 8 years. No rebuilds either.

I never drain anything either, but we don't have ethanol fuel here for now. Chainsaws are the only tools that get used in all seasons so should be even less of a problem.

Latest posts

Back