dream truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood Cuttin' Truck

Just give me an old, dependable 4x4 1/2 ton. I usually harvest my firewood within 6-10 miles of the house. A 3/4 ton might, just maybe be better suited to wood hauling. I don't know. I hauled firewood with an s-15 2 w/d for several years and was only stuck 1 time. Of course it wouldn't haul one stick more than a "rick"!! I was needing a bigger truck.
An old 96 Dodge found it's way to my place 4 or 5 years ago. 318cid, short cab-long bed automatic. Hand crank windows, vinyl bench seat and vinyl floors. I stack the old beast cab hi with firewood and just putt down the back roads with some old Marshall Tucker on the radio.
My old truck can clip a tree while dragging a log out of the brush and his feelings aint gonna get hurt. It's paid for and a/c blows cold.
A couple of the neighbor hood boys zip-tied a Chevy s-10 grill to the front of him last fall and I think the beast actually runs stronger, rides smoother and the stereo now plays louder with cleaner sound!!

I think I've got the perfect dream truck,,it runs, it's dependable and it's paid for...

attachment.php

or
attachment.php

View attachment 245011View attachment 245007

Ron

Your sons truck is awesome. I seen that build over there last year I think.

960df1b2-dcd0-4c4f-bf40-9a6699ee5e6b.Large.jpg

Don't need no stinkin' saw, we will just cut 'em down with the .50!

Me thinks it will pull a trailer OK eh?

245052d1342308425-mule-jpg

M274 "Mechanical Mule". For when you just need "a day or two" of wood.

245057d1342308959-m123-jpg
M123 6x6 10-ton tractor. Though I'd opt for the M123A1C with the Cummins and made sure it had both front and rear winches. Put a flatbed on the back with removeable sides and a crane/boom for loading. And a nice big crome stack and crome west coast side mirrors for fun. Might have to have a decent cd player to crank AC/DC's "Who Made Who?" when you go rolling through town with a heaping load of wood.

Last edited:
245057d1342308959-m123-jpg
M123 6x6 10-ton tractor. Though I'd opt for the M123A1C with the Cummins and made sure it had both front and rear winches. Put a flatbed on the back with removeable sides and a crane/boom for loading. And a nice big crome stack and crome west coast side mirrors for fun. Might have to have a decent cd player to crank AC/DC's "Who Made Who?" when you go rolling through town with a heaping load of wood.

Gettin too old for a rough riding, hot noisy beast like that. Let's get a little more refined, and heavier duty. The boys over in Oshkosh know what I'm talking about. 500 ponies, room for 5 cutting buddies in the air conditioned cab, 8 wheel drive, and a trailer heavy enough for 20 cords of green white oak.

076-100-01000.jpg

Gettin too old for a rough riding, hot noisy beast like that. Let's get a little more refined, and heavier duty. The boys over in Oshkosh know what I'm talking about. 500 ponies, room for 5 cutting buddies in the air conditioned cab, 8 wheel drive, and a trailer heavy enough for 20 cords of green white oak.

At 6 gallons to the mile too!:msp_w00t:

I'm building my dream truck

My drem truck must be able to go deep into the woods and haul extremely heavy loads home. In California, you can't have a flat bed without paying DOT fees and have to stop at scales but id it has a regular bed I can bypass the scales. It must be able to make deliveries and take me to church. I feel a Cummins Dodge Dually 4X4 is my dream truck with all the correct mods to to make reliable 650 hp and 1100lbs torque. Water/methanol injection, propane injection, dual disc clutch, 5-speed, Dana 80 rear posi at both ends, exhaust brake steel rack surounding bed with reinforced dump bed. And get 20-plus mpg empty...It's almost done!

attachment.php

An older Oshkosh prime mover, can't remember what the series or model #'s are for this one. Combined weight of truck, trailer and a M60 tank were about 84 tons.

But back to reality, a farmer I know has a '94 Dodge 2500 reg. cab long box 4x4 with a 12-valve Cummins and a manual transmission. It's a farm truck, and a little rusty, so driving through the underbrush wouldn't worry me. I'd take the box off and put on a flatbed, a HD bumper/brushguard with a intergrated winch, a few engine/drivetrain/axle tweaks and decent set of tires. He told me, "I only keep a truck 20 years so ask again in 2014 about buying it." Or one of those '80s Chevy CUCV 1-ton military pickups would work too.

My drem truck must be able to go deep into the woods and haul extremely heavy loads home. In California, you can't have a flat bed without paying DOT fees and have to stop at scales but id it has a regular bed I can bypass the scales. It must be able to make deliveries and take me to church. I feel a Cummins Dodge Dually 4X4 is my dream truck with all the correct mods to to make reliable 650 hp and 1100lbs torque. Water/methanol injection, propane injection, dual disc clutch, 5-speed, Dana 80 rear posi at both ends, exhaust brake steel rack surounding bed with reinforced dump bed. And get 20-plus mpg empty...It's almost done!

Buy it, build it, and use it to move all your possessions out of CA when CARB finishes outlawing any useful diesel piece of equipment, likely next week.

attachment.php

An older Oshkosh prime mover, can't remember what the series or model #'s are for this one. Combined weight of truck, trailer and a M60 tank were about 84 tons.

But back to reality, a farmer I know has a '94 Dodge 2500 reg. cab long box 4x4 with a 12-valve Cummins and a manual transmission. It's a farm truck, and a little rusty, so driving through the underbrush wouldn't worry me. I'd take the box off and put on a flatbed, a HD bumper/brushguard with a intergrated winch, a few engine/drivetrain/axle tweaks and decent set of tires. He told me, "I only keep a truck 20 years so ask again in 2014 about buying it." Or one of those '80s Chevy CUCV 1-ton military pickups would work too.

M911 HET, stout rig, the older brother to the 1070. Tbe 911 hauls the Abrams as well, just ain't quite legal at the scales doing it, but who's gonna stop ya? :D

Latest posts

Back