Drill Attachment for Stihl Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Reaction score
Do I remember correctly that Stihl made a drill attachment for chainsaws in the late 70's or early 80's. If so what size saws would they fit, and what are they worth today? One would sure be handy on the farm, boring holes for gate hangers in hedge post comes to mind.

i have a stihl earth auger attachment that was on a 08s that im willing to sell/trade...

Thanks guys for the info, the drill type not the auger is what I was looking for as I have a post hole digger for the tractor. It's just a pain to load up the generator, cord and drill to put in gate hangers. I know there is the hand powered brace and bit, but not for seasoned hedge.

I have an old dewalt 12v cordless drill with 3 speeds on the gear reduction. Low speed was really strong even on batteries, drilling steel and wood spade bits. the batteries died long ago, and I replaced with a new saw/drill set. But I wondered about connectiing it with a cable to power from 12v car battery. Not worth the hassle for small jobs around home, but for a long day of working outside it might be worth it. Would have to watch the heat buildup as it could draw some serious amps if pushed too hard.

another option-12V DC to 120 AC inverter

If you are only drilling 3/8" or close size holes in wood & have a truck/tractor
nearby, you might look at one of these. They have got lower in cost
over the years & more wattage. They will power a small drill, appliance,
or anything that uses 120V in their rated power output.

If you have the $, I think Stihl makes a gas powered drill for linemen;
probably overkill for gate hangers.

Thanks, I've got a good sized inverter, hadn't ever used it and forgot I had it, I think its 1500 watts, it's one that needs hard wired to the battery, just never got around to it, that will solve the problem. Must have bought it around y2k, I remember it wasn't cheap back then.

Do I remember correctly that Stihl made a drill attachment for chainsaws in the late 70's or early 80's. If so what size saws would they fit, and what are they worth today? One would sure be handy on the farm, boring holes for gate hangers in hedge post comes to mind.

They were made for the 024/026. I know well boring holes for gate hangers and the virtues of a brace and bit.

Bill

Thought I'd post a pic of one....

attachment.php

I pulled out my 1990 Stihl brochure (I need to throw some of these things out) and the model number was a BT-310 Drill, It says that it can mount on;
009,011, 012, 020, 021, 023, 024, 026, 028, 034, 038. It takes drill bits from 3/8 to 1 1/4". It looks very similiar to the photo in the previous post.

There was a Stihl drill attachment on Ebay a couple weeks ago. I have been through my history folder a dozen times on my PC and can't find the link. The one I saw was orange, and didn't provide much of a description. I was planning on buying it, and got occupied with Homelite stuff for some reason.
EDIT: Your lucky day! Worth a rep or something :). Here ya go...http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-Chainsaw-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45effbf60a Hope this helps ya!

Last edited:
There was a Stihl drill attachment on Ebay a couple weeks ago. I have been through my history folder a dozen times on my PC and can't find the link. The one I saw was orange, and didn't provide much of a description. I was planning on buying it, and got occupied with Homelite stuff for some reason.
EDIT: Your lucky day! Worth a rep or something :). Here ya go...http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-Chainsaw-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45effbf60a Hope this helps ya!
I HAVE 3 OF THESE DRILL ATTACHMENTS 207-578-0472

Thanks guys for the info, the drill type not the auger is what I was looking for as I have a post hole digger for the tractor. It's just a pain to load up the generator, cord and drill to put in gate hangers. I know there is the hand powered brace and bit, but not for seasoned hedge.
I HAVE 3 OF THESE ATTACHMENTS 2075780472

I've owned a couple, never went out of my way to buy one but picked up saws that came with them a couple times. They're not worth much, $100 at most. Atom made the stihl one (which was orange) and still makes the same model sold as an atom which is green. If you buy one used, make sure it comes with the special chain (has no cutters) and also has the plastic cover that goes over the chain and drive wheel. Try to pick one up that comes with the bits, the bits are quite expensive. From memory, some reverse and some don't. To engage reverse you just pull the whole saw backwards, if the bit is stuck it will reverse. They fit most small saws. An 024 has more than enough grunt to drive one.

Shaun

I have an old dewalt 12v cordless drill with 3 speeds on the gear reduction. Low speed was really strong even on batteries, drilling steel and wood spade bits. the batteries died long ago, and I replaced with a new saw/drill set. But I wondered about connectiing it with a cable to power from 12v car battery. Not worth the hassle for small jobs around home, but for a long day of working outside it might be worth it. Would have to watch the heat buildup as it could draw some serious amps if pushed too hard.

I did this with a dewalt drill. Just gutted a dead battery pack and drilled a small hole in it for the wires. I used a long cord I had from some old household appliance and added heavy clips to connect to the battery. If you search the net there are write-ups on doing it.

You realize that the guy resurrected a 4 year old dead thread and the only two post were advertizing his wares for sale, not in the proper place either. Let the thread die, better yet have a moderator lock it and move Les Everette post to the proper place.

I seen a radial arm saw the other day that a guy moded to run off a ms 192 t saw. Pretty cool

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back