dumb stuff we do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not me, but my best friend. Just out of High School and working for a landscape company removing concrete patio slabs (24x24x1" thick). Day is very hot and were in loose fitting shorts and work boots (working on our tans).

We were always having contests (how many rolls of sod you can fit in a wheel barrow and still move it, etc.), so as we are loading these patio slabs into the wheelbarrow, by buddy has stacked 4 of them in there (flat) with the 5th on in his hands when the wheelbarrow starts to tip towards him, he leans his pelvis into the wheelbarrow to stop it from tipping over and then drops the patio slab he is carrying, flattening the area in the front of his shorts.

He screams like a little girl (I'm thinking that is what he's become) and then thrusts his hips back to "pull out". He hits the ground before the wheelbarrow does and is screaming and tearing out chunks of sod with his hands when the boss comes over and asks what the *&%$ is going on.

At that point my buddy lowers his shorts to examine the damage. (I hope to never see that color again) The boss drives him to the hospital.

I dropped by his house that night and teasingly asked him if they splinted it up or down or if the Doctor told him to keep it elevated. He said that it was just badly bruised and scraped, but everyone working in the emergency ward that day had to come by to examine it.

I am not sure I follow completely but it does sound real bad.

friday

friday afternoon i got the call my Father in law was in the hospital after a fall from some scaffolding (note to self, only trust staging you built yourself)

so when i get home the wife and are are gunna drive the 2 hrs to see him. i got lots of things on the brain and should have known somthing would go bad.

i have a ladder rack on my truck even though i dont own a ladder or a canoe. i back into my garage and its a snug fit so i have hung a golf ball from a string to tell me when to stop. when the ladder rack hits the golf ball the receiver hitch has about 3 inches before the wall...... but only when the tailgate is up.

i always 'buckle up' my saws and fuel cans with bungie cords, so i didnt loose anything, and i didnt hurt the gate itself. but the gate doesnt line up with the bodywork anymore. hopefully i can fix its pivot point so it closes again.

oh yeah and i have to fix the sheetrock before the landlord sees it. ( i hate doing sheetrock)

i will sometimes pull the starter cord when the saw is already running:monkey:

OK.ever buy new chain and say i,m goin through some wood now.
just to find you put it on backwards after you try to bury it in tree.:buttkick:

Wait, you can cut with it on backwards? I did that my very first day.The second I almost took someone's foot off but that was both of our faults.
I was the rookie trying to get a 44 started and he was the guy who should have known not to come near me. I got it running and starting to bring it off the ground while still on half choke with the chain spinning, he was trying to walk by from behind me and almost got it... less than an inch.

yea i know but i did not start this thread,just posted some of the dumb sh_t i do.

No I really did that on my first day, actually it was the first thing I did in my illustrious carrer. Its kinda been going like that ever since.:) No, not really but it hurts to think how far I could have gotten if I had the chain on right this whole time.

Last edited:
i have a ladder rack on my truck even though i dont own a ladder or a canoe. i back into my garage and its a snug fit so i have hung a golf ball from a string to tell me when to stop. when the ladder rack hits the golf ball the receiver hitch has about 3 inches before the wall...... but only when the tailgate is up.

Along this same line, a few months after I got my truck, a nice clean 2001 Dodge 2500, Quad cab, Long bed, 4x4, Diesel 6spd, I had to move a trailer a light plant at work. Light plant pops off the hitch, and the safety chains catch the hitch, which slams the bottom of the mast of the light plant into my tailgate. This puts a huge CONCAVE dent in the tailgate. So I got a tailgate from the boneyard, and paint it, get it put on.

About 3 months later, get home from a horse show late on Sunday night. It had been cold and raining all day. I was dead beat tired, and so was my wife. She unloads the horses in the drive, and I take the trailer out back to unhitch it. I block the wheels, unlock the hitch, undo the chains, and electric, all in the pouring rain. Pull away from it, and hear a loud bang, and truck stops dead. I have a gooseneck horse trailer, and failed to lower the tailgate. :censored: :censored: :censored: So now I have a CONVEX tailgate in the replacement. Still works, just latch is a little stiff.

Now just recently at work, I had about 40 2x4-10' on top of the tailgate. I tell the laborer to unload them while I take a phone call. He goes out to the truck and before I can open my mouth, drops the tailgate with all the 2x4' on it. He cant hold the weight, and drops the tailgate, breaking the straps, and putting a crease across the tailgate when it hits the top of the bumper.

I am not even going to fix it.

Now just recently at work, I had about 40 2x4-10' on top of the tailgate. I tell the laborer to unload them while I take a phone call. He goes out to the truck and before I can open my mouth, drops the tailgate with all the 2x4' on it. He cant hold the weight, and drops the tailgate, breaking the straps, and putting a crease across the tailgate when it hits the top of the bumper.

I am not even going to fix it.

you kinda asked for that one, huh? stacking the wood flat is how it should be done. don't blame the laborer. the superintendent is supposed to be the smart one.;)

Last edited:
you kinda asked for that one, huh? stacking the wood flat is how it should be done. don't blame the laborer. the superintendent is supposed to be the smart one.;)

Remember, this is about the dumb stuff we do. I think the tailgate on my truck is cursed.

Remember, this is about the dumb stuff we do. I think the tailgate on my truck is cursed.

sorry. so true , and I bet you're right. you curse it everyday.:cheers:

I came back to Texas with a round trip ticket that ends right at x-mas. now realizing that was pushing it, I'm watching TV half the time.

thats my dumb move this year.

Dude, I see your point, 40 2x4 resting on the gate should have probably been avoided but still... The tailgate dropper sounds like he needs to touch the chain on the saw to tell if its running or not.
Although I see your point I don't really agree with it. We can argue it if you want.Not that I would try to prove you wrong, I think its a good topic.

Latest posts

Back