dumb stuff we do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my burnt jeans.

attachment.php

OK that was too close for comfort.

not me but funny.....

My old boss and I were going to the station to fuel the bucket. He was first in the bucket and I followed in his car. When we got there a good looking female friend of his was at the pump. So he pulls up and jumps out to talk to her. Without setting the air brakes. The bucket truck started rolling forward about 30 seconds later right toward her car and the pumps. I was blowing the horn like crazy since I wouldn't be able to get to the bucket before him. He looked at me like"what the hell do you want" Then he realized ran like his azz was on fire and head catching and jumped in and stopped it just in time. I barely got a thanks. Pretty funny though.

I do alot of mountain bike riding.
Own a trek 9800 OCLV carbon fibre bike with pedals that your shoes clip into.
Twist your heel to the outside and they unclip and release.

Was on my way home from the trails and a vette with 2 really good looking females pulls up beside me.

We both pull up to the stop sign. I say " How you doing ? "
I look at them and forget to unclip.

Fall over, still clipped to the pedals.
Lie there and listen to them laughing as they peel rubber away from me.

I thought, that's cool.

I mean really, it's hard to look cool lying on your back with a bicycle stuck to your feet.

I do alot of mountain bike riding.
Own a trek 9800 OCLV carbon fibre bike with pedals that your shoes clip into.
Twist your heel to the outside and they unclip and release.

Was on my way home from the trails and a vette with 2 really good looking females pulls up beside me.

We both pull up to the stop sign. I say " How you doing ? "
I look at them and forget to unclip.

Fall over, still clipped to the pedals.
Lie there and listen to them laughing as they peel rubber away from me.

I thought, that's cool.

I mean really, it's hard to look cool lying on your back with a bicycle stuck to your feet.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Women can turn any man into a clumsy babbling idiot. Right mckeetree? Back in May I was drilling some 5' deep post holes, when a VERY good looking woman, whom I had been dating for a month when this happened, brought me lunch. Being a guy, I paid to much attention to her legs as she was walking towards me, and not where I was walking and stepped right into the hole I had just drilled and fell in up to my butt. And of course, she started laughing hysterically at me. While sitting there with one leg in the hole, and my other knee jacked up to my ear, I looked at her and said, "what? I can't help it, I'm a guy."

Last edited:
Decided to wire an outdoor building the easy way.

The building was already wired with outlets and lights I was just trying to get power to it.

So I decided a creative(and easy) method would be to just cut off the female end of my 100' extension cord and wire a second male end to plug into a wall outlet on the building.....and Waaalaa! I would have power.

A:)

Actually, that works quite well if the out-building is only wired with 120 volts. There is a darn good chance of overloading your circuits, though.

That's exactly how I feed power to any of my buildings when the power goes out. Disconnect the main breaker, then plug in a 240 generator into a 50 amp wall plug with an "extension cord" rated for that amperage. You need to turn off appliances until the usage does not exceed the generator.

DON"T forget to disconnect the main power!!

Last edited:
I was stumpgrinding with my stumpmaster (simular to alpine magnum) on a steep downhill and got a little tired so tried operating it from the other side of the ts760 powerhead. Was kinda tricky running it form the RHS but was going okay until I smelt some burning then looked down.

You can see where the patch is where the burnhole is, thankfully chainsaw pants offer so much protection!

DON"T forget to disconnect the main power!!

So true, lots of power workers get hurt because people forget.

"what? I can't help it, I'm a guy."

My wife and I have been together a little less then 4 years, so I still enjoy the grabass games. I think the fun is wearing off for her. "You are SUCH a guy!"
:laugh:

Yes and no, they get hurt because they don't take the time to properly
isolate the power. Many of them just drop the fuse pull the knife blades
and disconnect the pigtail at the transformer! In truth Isolation should
consist of grounding chains from conductor, conductors to neutral then
a chain from neutral to ground on both sides of working area. What
really is wild is inductive pickup voltage in lines parallel to each other
and has resulted in definate fatalities.

Last edited:
Free electricity !!

It takes an electrician to understand this story...

.... What really is wild is inductive pickup voltage in lines parallel to each other
and has resulted in definate fatalities.

I knew an old electrician that told me how he got power on the farm when he was a boy, years before rural electrification was completed. The high minded utility company put a power line through their fields, and then wouldn't set them any electrical service at a price they could afford, nor would they pay them for the use of their land.

Naturally, they were outraged. Their solution: they strung a single wire strand for about 1/4 mile, exactly parallel to the high voltage wire the utility company put up [back then, they didn't put the primaries on very tall poles].

FREE ELECTRICITY !!
(inductive pickup, for those folks that don't understand how that would work)

Naturally it was unfused, with no way to turn off the voltage. They controlled the amount of voltage they got from their free source by pulling the tension on their wire so that it came closer or moved farther away from the primary wire. Turning on the well pump? Better raise the wire a little bit! Don't raise it too tight, you'll blow all the light bulbs !

Bill told me that the light bulbs were their voltage indicator, and that they had one lit up by their rope to tension the wire. Too dim: raise the wire. Too bright, let 'er down before you hurt something!

He reported to me that the utility company tried to make them take it down, lawsuits were filed against the farmer for stealing the electricity. The courts found that it was their land, and they couldn't be stealing electricity since there was no connection to the primary, and the electric field was being thrown away by the utility co. They eventually forced the farmers to loose their free electricity because another lawsuit correctly alleged that it was a public health hazard to have an electrical source that could not be turned off.

Old Bill's eyes still gleamed when he told me of all the years of free electricity they got. He liked to gloat about getting even with them for stealing the use of their farmland.

Last edited:
There was a guy in the MKE area who was powering his garage and yard lights with an induction coil mounted on the garage on the edge of the ROW for transmission.

My wife and I have been together a little less then 4 years, so I still enjoy the grabass games. I think the fun is wearing off for her. "You are SUCH a guy!"
:laugh:

Yeah just wait. It really wears off after 20 years.

So I'll be in my 60's when I get tired of chasing her around the house? ;)

Gentlemen, I don't thing age (yours or hers) has much to do with the chasing game. Add a few kids to the mix (expecially if the mother is nursing a baby) and the chasing game pretty much comes to a halt. The last thing any woman wants after a day of changing diapers and nursing a baby is a grabby husband. I believe the term my wife uses to describe it is 'sensory overload'. "I don't want anybody touching me! I've been touched all day!" :mad: :cry:

Speaking from someone about to hit 60, all the kids are thru college and the chasing through the house still happens only not on a daily basis.:)

Latest posts

Back