Dump Trailer vibration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesell

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking at a used dump trailer to make hauling wood a lot easier.

I found a well used 12'er for a really great price. The only possible problem I see is that it vibrates when you lower the box. After thinking about it, it seems to me that the pins might be really dry and that's what's causing it to bind and vibrate. He told me they really don't use the dump part, they just use it to haul his skidder around. So maybe the pins are a little rusty.

Any thoughts?

Telescoping cylinder or a scissor type lift?? Most return on gravity and typically is just stiction on the cylinders shaft causes it due to some side loading. The vibration causes the floor to vibrate like a drum making sound worse than it is.

The cylinder might have air in it as well especially if it's a vertical telescoping cylinder or the rod may be bent(look for scratches and heavy burnishing especially near the center of a rod

The oil level looked good.
Its a vertical telescoping ram. Power up and power down.

If it's air, will it work itself out?

I'll check for gouges in the rams tomorrow.

check for any grease fittings and give it a couple of squirts.mine has some where it pivots on the back. i have noticed a small vibration on mine sometimes but nothing to concern me.

If you need a dump trailer I wouldn't waste any time. Its hard to find good used ones especially for 2200

The oil level looked good.
Its a vertical telescoping ram. Power up and power down.

If it's air, will it work itself out?

I'll check for gouges in the rams tomorrow.

I have never seen a dual action telescoping cylinder before, and was ready to say there was no such thing but google to the rescue shows several manufactures that do make them. I assume this trailer has a 12 volt motor running a pump?? Every dump truck (class 8), dump trailer(class 8) and small dump trailer I have seen that are telescoping have single acting cyclinders(hose only to on bottom end of cylinder casing) and I would urge you to check again to see if this is the case. I have seen a few scissor style dumps and twin cylinder dumps with dual action cylinders, but even most of the trailer(small) ones are single action. I am not saying that it isn't, just cant belive someone would pay for such complication to do it when gravity works fine. Anyway if it is truly double acting after ten cyles or so all air should be purged. If it is not used regularly and has a small leak at the top fitting or packing then air can get in over time and take several cyles to purge again. Single acting vertical cylinders do not self purge and typically need to be bleed occationally. Most have a small bleed screw at the top.

tight, dry seals. the old style snow plow lifts used to do that. give it time and use. it should go away. as long as it is full of fluid it wont cause any trouble

Thanks for the advice guys.

If you need a dump trailer I wouldn't waste any time. Its hard to find good used ones especially for 2200

I'm not wasting any time. I was there looking at it asap. I was willing to buy it right there but the guy said he needs it for a few more days before he can let it go. The guy seemed stand up, but I'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

I'll post how it goes wither way.

Latest posts

Back