dump trailer's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewoolsey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
anyone use a dump trailer in there tree work ? what brand ? with or with out a grapple, like to have one with the side drop, the only company i have found that make it with a drop side is u-dump trailers in ocala, florida with a $ 975 shipping cost, it would make it easy to unload small to med size logs at saw mill , any info on this,there is a grapple trailer with dump i like in maryland called centreville manufacturing, thanks for any info.

anyone use a dump trailer in there tree work ? what brand ? with or with out a grapple, like to have one with the side drop, the only company i have found that make it with a drop side is u-dump trailers in ocala, florida with a $ 975 shipping cost, it would make it easy to unload small to med size logs at saw mill , any info on this,there is a grapple trailer with dump i like in maryland called centreville manufacturing, thanks for any info.

I have a 12' dump trailer. sides don't drop and I don't have a grapple. I got it from Beck's in Michigan, they have a website. I absolutely love it.

It's rated for 8000 pound payload but it will dump about 8 ton. It doesn't like it but it will. The only thing I don't like about a dumptrailer is you can't dump in a pile like you can with a higher truck. It spreads it out as you pull away due to the height of the ground.

I just bought a brand new bri-mar 6x10 10,000lb trailer today. I am anxious to see how it holds up to everyday use.

I have a 8216 . Works pretty well. It will dump a solid 7 tons of gravel, etc. No trouble for the brush. I would beef it up in a couple areas. (As usual.):)

A dump trailer is just about the handiest thing for a small tree company. I have a 6x12 with 6k axles under it.

2009-12-18007.jpg

2009-09-24002.jpg

I built a box so I could use it as a chip box.
Also put the tool box on the front which is VERY handy. Had to relocate the battery to under the bed and get a front crank jack.
2009-06-28001.jpg

The ASV RC30 still fits in even with the box on:
2009-06-28004.jpg

It will pretty much haul whatever I can fit in it: (and dump it no problem.)
2009-06-09012.jpg

2009-04-17001.jpg

I have since had it modified so that the gate is hinged to the sides and will swing open with great ease. I use to have to take the whole gate off to dump as it was either a spreader gate or a pickup type gate. (Worthless.)

A few things I wish mine did:
hold more - if I could do it again, I'd get at least a 8x14
dump higher - mine only dumps to about 27°
heavier axles - I'd get at least 7k axles if not 8k
brakes on both axles - it brakes fine but I'd rather it have brakes on both instead of just one.

Look around. There are plenty of companies that make them with the drop sides.

I think there's even one in the trading post here for sale with the drop sides.

Edit: just realized that last picture wasn't mine. It was a rental that I got right before I bought mine but it was about the same as mine and it shows how you can load them. That oak ain't light!

Last edited:
Oh, if you are looking for what I would consider the ultimate in dump trailers, check out big lug dump trailers. I'd love to have one of those.

bought this for $2500. The guy wanted over 4k but I didn't need it and he needed to sell it. Best way to buy stuff. 10k cap. plus.
attachment.php

thanks for the info. i still have not found one, everyone i call is telling me it will be 3 to 6 weeks for a new , and the price is going up 4 percent a week, can you beleave that ? the side dump is hard to find, 7x 12 as much as $7000.

I have 3 and use them all the time. 2 off them are 14x7. One is 12x7. The one is a Bri-mar. It seems to old up well. You have to watch dumping big rounds into it. They will bend the sided if you hit them to hard. I wish mine would hold more but bumper weight is really getting up there now. My 2 bigger trailers weigh around 5k empty. Add 2 2/3 cords of firewood and you have a load. 15-17k on your bumper is a lot of weight. I thought about going to a bigger goose-neck but then I loose the use of my bed. I can haul he same using the bed and trailer as I can with a bigger trailer. Here is the best advice you will find when it comes to dump trailer. TIRES. Get the best tires you can. You will overload it. I have G rated 16" tires on my trailer. Make it a lot safer.

Scott

I have a Big Lug Trailer. I bought it several years ago when they were called BMF Trailers. Mine is 20 feet long, 8 feet wide and 14K. I got it as a flatbed and welded up the removable sides and put the spare tire out of the way underneith. I have not had to take the sides off though. I guess if you needed to load pallets or hay you would. It's been pretty versatile.

Just looking...how come my pics don't show up as thumbnails? Or is it my computer or settings?

Oh, if you are looking for what I would consider the ultimate in dump trailers, check out big lug dump trailers. I'd love to have one of those.

I not nowif I doing this ok but Idon't care abaut side dump trailers mine dump as good as any other trailer. Mine is 8 x 16, I can put the whole tree on it, or a good sized tree, and I do not have any trouble to dump it. All the trailers above, they are good to do the job, if you know how to do it nice and easy. The only trouble I got sometimes, is that I forgot to charge the battery, so if you have some advises about it, I'm listening.

I not nowif I doing this ok but Idon't care abaut side dump trailers mine dump as good as any other trailer. Mine is 8 x 16, I can put the whole tree on it, or a good sized tree, and I do not have any trouble to dump it. All the trailers above, they are good to do the job, if you know how to do it nice and easy. The only trouble I got sometimes, is that I forgot to charge the battery, so if you have some advises about it, I'm listening.
I need the side drop to put logs on the saw mill so i dont have to handle logs a 2nd time, and plus save my battery .

I know a fellow who put a 12v solar charger on his dump. I don't have any problem with mine, but my truck charges as we go.

My 8216 Doolittle Master Dump has trouble with 7 or 8 tons evenly loaded like baseball sand, so I "hep" it out alittle with the front loader.

I know a fellow who put a 12v solar charger on his dump. I don't have any problem with mine, but my truck charges as we go.

I hard wired up a small battery charger in my tool box. One of those that you can get at Auto Zone for like $30. I just leave an extension cord next to where I park my trailer and plug it up when I get home.

I need the side drop to put logs on the saw mill so i dont have to handle logs a 2nd time, and plus save my battery .

I'm sorry I did not count with that . I am in florida,and I don't take loads to the saw mill,I only go to the land fill. how big or how long are the logs you have to take to the saw mill ?. if have a saw mill in your town.

I hard wired up a small battery charger in my tool box. One of those that you can get at Auto Zone for like $30. I just leave an extension cord next to where I park my trailer and plug it up when I get home.

I did that with my 36 v 'on the farm golf cart' with 3 chargers. Was fine until I rode in Supercab's hotrodded cart. Can't bring myself to ride in my beater again.:(:(:(

My trailer came with a built in charger but I do not have electric in my equipment lot and the battery is under the unit.

So I attached a set of jumper cables to the bottom battery and have another marine battery I can easily take home and charge and then hook up to the jumpers by bungee ing it inside the front fork by the hitch.

Make sure it turns off if charged. Some always charge and will overcharge the battery. Nobody likes to be overcharged....

I have a Hawke brand trailor. One nice feature is that it has scizor lift hydraulics instead of a straight push.

Regarding the battery, it is charged when the truck is running - at least that is what they told me when I bought it, and it hasn't let me down...

Latest posts

Back