Early Christmas never fired Sthil 090AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by spacemule
There's something wrong with this way of thinking. The saw is absofreakinglutely useless sitting on a shelf.

belgian said:
If that would be wrong, then there would be no collectors, no musea, nothing of that kind.

IMO, putting that saw in the wood, would remove its unique character. Only a collector will understand that.
roland

Well said Belgian.....I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemule
I've not seen a museum that had everything in unused condition. It's just not natural.

That's because unused musea items are so rare. They would love to get their hands on unused ones, I think.

Quote:
If you inherited an item from your great grandad, would it be nice to think that he never used it, or would it be better to think that he did use it? Actually using the item connects us with the item and connects us with the past

belgian said:
That's because unused musea items are so rare. They would love to get their hands on unused ones, I think.

I would love to inherit an unused or a used one. No preference if I knew he had owned and cherished it.
that's just me of course.

Roland

Right on the money Roland.

Thank You, Leebo and Belgian, I always could give it character, I just can't go back to new again. Also, we all mostly have seen, heard, or actually run an 090. It's not like it is, some rare Wankle (rotory), diesel, or twin that nobody has seen/heard run. I have no doubts about its status or condition. Thank You all for your interest and thoughts.

old saw

man sweet old saw. that saw is like a old baseball card of of some famous player. it it is worth more unmolested than used. that old stihl is only going to make you more money by not running it. good item to put away and save it for the future generations of the family to enjoy.:jawdrop:

picts do not lie

:cheers:
all the more reason to put the saw on display in the wifes china cabinet. the china can go out to the barn:laugh:

That is one awesome saw. It's just hard to comprehend something like that being unused......
I would get rid of that puny bar thats on it, It should be displayed with a new 60''. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ed

Running that saw would be the equivalent of letting your kids take a Mickey Mantle rookie card in mint condition and put it in the bicycle spokes just to here that sound!

Great find........... BUT WHAT DID IT COST?
j/k

Chris
:bowdown:

Is that an outboard clutch? I would put that beauty on a shelf over my bed just like my friend Ole Tom does with his saws.:D What did the 090 set you back, if I might be so rude? There is nothing prettier than a good looking woman but that saw sure looks nice.:cheers:

new 090

I seen one on ebay sell last year. it was a wall hanger and never fired. I beleave it brought $3,200.00 if I remember correctly. nice saw lucky!:clap:

jensen 32000 said:
The guy phoned me today, to tell me buddy bailed on the 084. Guess what?

Daaaaayyyyyyuuuuummmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop:

Nice!!!!!!

Andy

rickyrooster said:
I seen one on ebay sell last year. it was a wall hanger and never fired.

I thought all saws were run at least once at the factory. Not true? Or was not true then?

B_Turner said:
I thought all saws were run at least once at the factory. Not true? Or was not true then?

What they do at the factory I don't know, but if you look at the 090 muffler you see a blue dot, if you look at the 084 muffler front cover, you see a white melted streak. I think that dot is a "tell tale" to see if the saw has been fired. He said the 084 has about 4-5 hours run time, tops. A little more beliveable than some of Ebay "only used once"

Nice Finds!!

More important than price to me, but HOW did you get in touch with the seller and those two beautiful saws?? Was this a listing or word of mouth thing?

Great find, you are one lucky man....:bowdown: :bowdown:

Other than a little bar oil dripping off the rear of bar that 084 looks mint as well. No visible paint loss on bar. The cutters on the chain probably don't even show wear. You lucky devil. Good deal.:rockn: I wouldn't run the 090 either, put it right up on the mantle, hooyahh. 084 is a great saw too, but if run I'd run it, ocaissionally.

BTW the chain is backwards on that 084. Did it come that way? Maybe he was disappointed with it's cutting ability and that's why it sat.:D Those cutters still look like new. 4-5 hrs is a liberal estimate I think. Looks more like a tankful to me. You done gooooood.:clap: :clap:

Amazingly the saws were local in a local paper. The guy was about 20 mins drive. The saws are a "once in a lifetime" deal, I didn't dicker much, he knew what he had. That is why he called me back, I suppose. The 084 wasn't really a deal, but the 090 was better so averaged out I talked myself into it. He got most or all of his money back, so I guess we both should be happy! Bad time of year to zap the bank accounts.

adkranger said:
BTW the chain is backwards on that 084. Did it come that way? Maybe he was disappointed with it's cutting ability and that's why it sat.:D Those cutters still look like new. 4-5 hrs is a liberal estimate I think. Looks more like a tankful to me. You done gooooood.:clap: :clap:

Your right the air filter is barely dirty. I pointed that out to him and he said the son may assembled it wrong after wiping it down. The chain is sharp, I got a nick in my thumb to prove it, and I didn't even remember toching it. I guess I got a chance to go "back in time". He said he bought them in 1998!

Latest posts

Back