easy way to run new fuel line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
the poulan ive had for quite a few yrs needs new,along with a homelite super 2 is getting new fuel lines, easy way to run them. the poulan is the POULAN 25DA.they go through the casting in 2 spots.line i got is green in color,dont know who made it,but it is a tight fit. any tips on running it besides warming it up before pulling it through the castings..

Tie the line to an ant and put some honey on the other side of the hole.

:)

Cutting the end of the line at an angle helps. You can cut a really long tab on the end and pull it through with pliers. Don't forget to keep things lubricated.

Trying to fit generic fuel lines on a saw that orig had fitted/molded lines can be a pain in the butt. If the hole in the side is just a hole with a line running thru it and no fuel on the other side you can drill it out a little. If it has to be fuel tight you may have a problem. I have tried boiling water which didn't help much on the yellow Oregon lines. Now the orig Tygon line i just bought seems to be less stiff and it might shrink down enough to get thru. I know it fit on fittings i couldn't get the Oregon line on. All lines are not created the same thats for sure...Bob

Cut the line at a really shallow angle so you have something to poke through that is not the whole thickness of the line.
Feed it through with a little lube and when the end of the cut is just starting to go into the casting give the outside a little poke with a screwdriver so it doesn't hang up on the cut edge.

I was gonna chime in with the same "cut it at an angle, keep it lubed" advice as well, but everybody beat me to it. All I can add is to remember to leave a half inch or so extra to cut the angled bit off later and not come up short.

I've had good luck with the "cut at an angle, keep it lubed" trick, but also, poke a small hole back from the tip about 1/4", put a small hook on the end of a length of a small, stiff wire, and pull it thru.
takes some practice, and fooling with the hook on end of wire to double back just a bit so's line stays on as you're pulling through.
fwiw

Poulan S25 fuel line install

Modified Mark posted a good how to with pictures a while back, might could find
it using AS search.
Hemostats or long nose needle nose pliers are almost a must on fuel lines.

I have done two saws in the last month, Take a wire (like a non coated bread tie wire) Wrap in around the end of the hose tightly (about 10 wraps in 1" is good) stick the wire in the hole then go in with needle nose or Hemo's and pull it through. a little lube helps it slide in and a taper on the end where the wire is wrapped helps too. once you do it, it is really easy....

I've had good luck with the "cut at an angle, keep it lubed" trick, but also, poke a small hole back from the tip about 1/4", put a small hook on the end of a length of a small, stiff wire, and pull it thru.
takes some practice, and fooling with the hook on end of wire to double back just a bit so's line stays on as you're pulling through.
fwiw

Bang on. Its a last resort, but the wire through a hole trick has worked for me a few times.

I just did one the other week

its easy bro!!! take the fly wheel off and run it through the castings cut the fuel line at 16 and a half inches long i did more then and angle cut the poulan manual says extreme angle i mad a 1 inch long sliver and poked it through grab it with needle nose pull it through attach it to the carb so ha dont have to pull it back then ya push it in the lil hole on the tank grab it with pliers it should measure 3and 1/2 inches from fuel tank to the end of the filter when ya done!!!!

its easy bro!!! take the fly wheel off and run it through the castings cut the fuel line at 16 and a half inches long i did more then and angle cut the poulan manual says extreme angle i mad a 1 inch long sliver and poked it through grab it with needle nose pull it through attach it to the carb so ha dont have to pull it back then ya push it in the lil hole on the tank grab it with pliers it should measure 3and 1/2 inches from fuel tank to the end of the filter when ya done!!!!

:agree2:
i also cut the tygon at an extreme angle. then i poke a hole in the end and tie some very thin copper wire onto it .
the homelite super 2 is going to need homelite fuel line, you won't find that size at your local hardware store. i get it from ebay. probably could use a new duckbill valve on the gas tank.
kev1n

Forget the lube. Never used it, its just a mess and ends up where its not supposed to. Purchase a pair of ratchet locking medical needle nose pliers. Cut on extreme angle like previously recomended, use small string to help in severe tight spots to get the point of the line through the hole. Take locking pliers, grab line and pull through. Those things have a number of other uses as well.

other uses for hemostats

I have a small set in my fishing tackle box too, just right for holding 6 #
monofilament and tying a knot for a crappie hook.

didnt try it yet,a lot of stuff going on right now.tomorrow afternoon when its dark,and cant cut or split outside i will be working on it.thanks..

Best tool's for running fuel lines: hemostats and a LOT of patience! Oh and a six-pack for afterwords too.
In my misspent youth the hemostats were used by some for relaxation AFTERWARDS. They held those funny smelling cigarettes.

An afterword is a literary device that is often found at the end of a piece of literature. It generally covers the story of how the book came into being, or how the idea for the book was developed.

seen that in the manual. read it and figured they wrote it in English so no translation was necessary.nothing got lost either!!

now to go out in the fresh snow and finish what i started, stacking the rest of my wood and unsplit stuff for next years run.got 3 piles 20" wide,5 ft high and 22 ft long right now for next years supply.not including the stuff unsplit on the ground and stuff i just knocked down yesterday to season till next year.

again thanks to all who replied with info on how to work on this saw. now the homelite is next,get that one running 100% for next year.

In my misspent youth the hemostats were used by some for relaxation AFTERWARDS. They held those funny smelling cigarettes.

An afterword is a literary device that is often found at the end of a piece of literature. It generally covers the story of how the book came into being, or how the idea for the book was developed.
Ahhh. Paperclips were always good for those funny smelling cigarettes.:rock:

Please pardon my grammatical flaw gemniii. Sometimes, In my rapid-paced reply's to a thread I DO forget to proofread my work. PS: Thanks for reminding me of my 9th grade English Communications Teacher! :)

Back