Echo 4510 , 4910 or MS250 for "Starter Saw"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost 500.00 here in Canada for the Stihl. They used to be almost reasonable about 10 years ago.

obviously you haven't run the Dolmar and the Stihl side by side. Or compared build quality.

there's a reason the used Dolmars command a higher price. Yet they were less expensive new

I'm not bragging, just telling it like it is.

Almost 500.00 here in Canada for the Stihl. They used to be almost reasonable about 10 years ago.

obviously you haven't run the Dolmar and the Stihl side by side. Or compared build quality.

there's a reason the used Dolmars command a higher price. Yet they were less expensive new

I'm not bragging, just telling it like it is.
Not how it is here. Supply and demand does the most to control price. For every 1 of those little Dolmars, there is probably 20 or more ms250's and they do most often bring half to 3/4 their new price in good condition used, local or internet sales. I picked up the 5100 about 1/4 It's original price and would bet had it been an ms250 it would of went twice or near that in similar condition.
5100 and 6400 series are the only Dolmars I owned and used in my business, snagged the 5100 about $100 at a consignment auction and a few or more makita version 6400's.i imagine build quality is similar to the little dolmars which is a step higher then the ms 250s when it comes to smoothness but it didn't make an ms250 obsolete and in about 30 years the ms250 is still a top seller, what does that tell you? People like me semi professional and professionals still use them when they can buy any brand or model, what does that tell you? I don't have any Dolmar dealers within a reasonable driving distance ( 2 have been but switched brands), what does that tell you? I could go on probably at least 10 good reasons to buy an ms250 here over your Dolmar especially if you rely on it with no good backup saws for it. A bit of extra comfort would be nice but i wouldn't risk my chainsaw necessities to have the beloved Dolmar.
That is the truth here.

It tells me that you are in the business of buying cheap saws and flipping them. And that you are attempting to protect your market.

if you keep trying to compare the ms250 against pro saws you will continue to embarrass yourself on this subject.

It tells me that you are in the business of buying cheap saws and flipping them. And that you are attempting to protect your market.
It would of been easier to tell you , you are fully of bs then giving sound advice that you stop your ears to.
I flip on an average year 3 to 8 saws. Most of them i use in my part time tree service work and firewood sales a while before I sell them. No big concern about the chainsaw market here. Tells me your imagination has messed with your thoughts. I think you need to recycle your thinking.

Need opinions on a "starter saw" for a young man. He's sawed a little under very controlled conditions but ready for the next step.
They are looking at a lighter saw than his Dad's MS290. Not that he's too young but it would be a little easier to limb with. His Dad would like a lighter saw for that, too.
I have an MS 250 as a backup saw which I've really liked and so do they. I've also looked at the Echo models since I have an Echo trimmer I really like. Great trimmer, especially for the money. Just like my MS 250 in a saw.
If you have any experience with these models, I'd like to hear your comments.
Either brand can be purchased from servicing dealers the same distance away.
I have a ms250 and I have used and abused it for the last 6 or 7 years; it and a well tuned poulan pl3314 with 18 inch bar the poulan is starting to have minor issues. I've cut 30 plus inch wood on occasion I wouldn't make a habbit of cutting wood that big though. My opinion is that the ms250 is well worth it. I've never had to muffler mod it never had to tune it. I also have a cs3510 it cuts well for a 34cc I'm sure a cs4510 would cut equally as well as a ms250 as far as price the cs4510 seems to be priced fairly even with the ms250. I guess just choose your flavor of orange.

My primary light middleweight is an 025 (older version of the 250)and I used the newer 250 versions also and I owned and used a new cs490. To me the ms 250 feels easier to maneuver and hold in my primary cuts and peppy and more powerful. The ms490 was a nice smoother cutting saw but to me the 250 is more efficient and easiar to hold, maneuver and work with in most situations . I hear some have been difficult starting from new so if buying 1 I would make sure it didn't have that problem while I could still take it back.
Anything heavier then an ms250 feels middle weight to me, feels like it's feels truly lightweight and less fatigueing to run then 50cc and many lesser saws.l
I too have an 025 for my light middle weight saw. It has been a great saw since I bought it in 1999.

put a 16" bar/chain on the 290 to lighten it up and give it to the kid, he will grow into it. imo a heavier saw is less apt to kick back and you are less apt to try bad cutting practices with it being heavy you let the saws weight do the work when cutting. Tell dad to go see what feels good in his hands and make a list then research public opinion from several sources since it sounds like the new saw is for him anyways...i would suggest a older 034-036 its a little lighter than the 290 but is a animal.

I'd seed you a video of my ms250 in about 17 to 18 inch wood if I can figure out how to convert it over to another supported file type such as a jpeg. Any one help with an android.

Well I have to have a video converter to send an mp4 apparently. So here is a picture of me cutting. Ms250 and my poulan in 17 or 18inch wood.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20211124-203911.jpg
    VideoCapture_20211124-203911.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 18
  • VideoCapture_20211124-204009.jpg
    VideoCapture_20211124-204009.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 18
The poulan did it in 42 seconds the 250 did it in 35seconds ms250 is stock the. Poulan pl3314 has a muffler mod. That's 9 month old fairly dried white oak.

I got a 025 on CL for $75 some years ago, and that is one tough little saw. I love some of the echos, though. But around here, you can find used Stihl all day, but not echos. They are $$$. I guess regions are different.

Sorry this is the best I can do but here is a video of them. It opens with photo.

Attachments

• mov chainsaw 1_2.mov
    27.5 MB
  • mov chainsaw 1_1.mov
    25.5 MB
You might also consider the Echo CS 3510 if its primarily for limbing or <8" hardwoods. I have a different model (CS 361P) that's the same weight and its a real joy to use.
I second that I just got a 3510 and its a awesome little saw. Very light and very peppy. I'm trying not to modify the engine yet but I keep thinking about it since there isn't alot of information out on doing it yet. If It gained just another 20%
it would be the ultimate limber. I also have a ms250c and don't think I'd recommend it for a beginner saw as they are very finicky, hard to work on and powerful enough to really hurt you if something were to happen and it will.

Need opinions on a "starter saw" for a young man. He's sawed a little under very controlled conditions but ready for the next step.

OK, here is my somewhat outside-the-box suggestion. (1) teach the young man to care for and repair saws, (2) buy him a pressure/vac tester, and (3) a Stihl 026.

Around here, fully-functioning 026s sell for 150 to $250. They are wonderful saws. Light weight, nimble, easy to work on, good parts availability.

Around here a 5 year old used ms250 goes for 300 a ms261 I only found 1 for sale in the last year and they want 500. There is nothing else around here maybe a poulan from Walmart and then they want 150 for them.

Yeah the last 3 or 4 years things have blown up cant even find a good ole used truck for under 5000 unless its totally trash.

Back