ECHO Chainsaws - are they catching on?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats my saw and the example I was referring too, I just dont know how to post videos. Thanks Wes.

And that video is a Mastermind build. His work is of the highest quality, and he is a deeply respected, high caliber individual. Soon there will be a waiting list. :rock:. If someone chooses to not send him a saw, that just makes my wait a little shorter.

And that video is a Mastermind build. His work is of the highest quality, and he is a deeply respected, high caliber individual. Soon there will be a waiting list. :rock:. If someone chooses to not send him a saw, that just makes my wait a little shorter.
Nice Kiss.

My brother in law has a mid range Echo and he likes it fine. He uses it for an occasional tree that falls down in a storm and such and its perfect for him since it is very reliable and trouble-free. Perhaps Echo is a good choice as a homeowner saw if not anything else?

Nice Kiss.

My brother in law has a mid range Echo and he likes it fine. He uses it for an occasional tree that falls down in a storm and such and its perfect for him since it is very reliable and trouble-free. Perhaps Echo is a good choice as a homeowner saw if not anything else?

:clap::clap::clap: Really? Was that what it was? Did you write it? I applaud your insight. However, I stand by my statement. Regards to you and yours from TN.

My only problem with echo that keeps me away from their saws is their rpm run lower than stihls and huskys. Several are in the 12,500 range when I want a 13,000 plus rpm saw. I had an echo cs340 and I could feel it just bump along through the cut because of the low rpm. Some do have 13,000 plus but alot of them don't. Speed is a what it's all about in todays saws and to not have that put's you at the back of the line.

My only problem with echo that keeps me away from their saws is their rpm run lower than stihls and huskys. Several are in the 12,500 range when I want a 13,000 plus rpm saw. I had an echo cs340 and I could feel it just bump along through the cut because of the low rpm. Some do have 13,000 plus but alot of them don't. Speed is a what it's all about in todays saws and to not have that put's you at the back of the line.
it is all about sustained RPM in the cut. both of my cs-600p's run comparable RPM's under a load as my 362's, and my gladly gone and forgotten all mighty 562 X-TRA P-lastic. who really cares what a saw will turn fully leaned out @ WOT out of the cut.

There is a brand new never used Echo 600p on Ashville NC craiglist with 2 bars for $400.00

its listed under chain saw not chainsaw.

Last edited:
watch MASTERMIND/BLSNELLING video's of the cs-600p, and tell me those saws aren't turning some revs.

Most (all?) of the Echo chainsaws mentioned & shown in this thread are pre-Shindaiwa models.

I can't understand why Gologit would say such things about you. :monkey:

Me neither. He must be a leftist.

If we're discussing the pre-Shindaiwan Echos, They did take a long time to catch on.

I wish the ISA would go back to Shindaiwa as the official saw, even though they ran 1/4 pitch chain. The Echos today are making a stir.

I've never used any Echo saws but I would like to try a Echo 600p, I'm certainly not going to criticize any Brand/model without trying it first.
Reading Spec sheets just doesn't cut it :msp_wink:

What's with all this Shindaiwa stuff, my Echo saws have been a lot faster cutting the my Shindaiwa saws like my CS520 saws cut a lot faster than my 488, not even close. So far the only that has Shindawia in it is the CS500 and maybe a small top handle saw. Echo did good to pick the 50 cc Shinny for it's light wieght and hopefully has Echo porting in it. That MM ported CS520 above will put a lot of saws to shame. Steve

+1

My CS-510 muffler modded was a LOT faster than my muffler modded Shindaiwa 488. The 488 was built on a very tough chassis, but no comparison in power and cutting speed to the CS-510.

To date, pound for pound, the CS-510 has been the most impressive Echo saw I've had in the line-up. Others have included a CS-440, two CS-670's, CS-6700, and CS-800. I ditched the others finding them not on par anyplace with my larger Husqvarna saws.

I kept the CS-370's around simply because they are great little limbing saws, nimble, good torque for the cc's and dead solid reliable. If you expect fast cutting and chain speed from them, you will be somewhat disappointed. There are good mid-range saws and PLENTY of "grunt" for the cc's.....Cliff

What is an Echo?

Ha ha, just kidding. I just got word that one of my local haunts is going to become an Echo dealer. I am pretty stoked about this! The only thing that bugs me about Echo is the stupid round bore carbs they insist on using on some of the trimmers and blowers. Good thing they're cheap enough to just replace them complete. The guys complaining about Echo saws not having the highest performance crack me up. At most, we're talking about a few percent. A dull or improperly sharpened chain will cost more than a few percent in cutting performance. I am not a brand snob, but I do hate cutting with a dull chain.

:clap::clap::clap: Really? Was that what it was? Did you write it? I applaud your insight. However, I stand by my statement. Regards to you and yours from TN.

I think it was the "deeply respected high caliber individual" part that seemed laying it on a little thick yeah. I've heard nothing but good stuff about his work on here which shows hes a professional but he's not running for president last I knew.

Last edited:
I think it was the "deeply respected high caliber" part that seemed laying it on a little thick yeah. I've heard nothing but good stuff about his work on here which shows hes a professional but he's not running for president last I knew.

Low blow nontheless friend. Since the first of the year I have had 5 saws ported in that shop. I bought a Husky 288 from him, had him mod my Stihl fs250 trimmer, go thru my br 400 blower, and rebuild a stihl 041 chainsaw that I have traded. All of which I paid for. And I have three more pieces of equiptment going to him on my next trip. So I am entitled to my opinion- I dont benefit from complimenting a friend, other than expressing appreciation for his work. My opinion of Randy is both a conglomeration of what I have read and percieved thru reading thousands of threads over the course of a year before I ever made a first post, and from my own personal experience doing business with him. Again, regards from TN.

Ok, my bad. I've got nothing against you, honestly, just was feeling a little feisty that day lol. Werent meant to be a "low blow", just a jab. Gotta remember too hes getting money in exchange for his services which is the #1 show of appreciation in my book :cool2:.

Me neither. He must be a leftist.

If we're discussing the pre-Shindaiwan Echos, They did take a long time to catch on.

I wish the ISA would go back to Shindaiwa as the official saw, even though they ran 1/4 pitch chain. The Echos today are making a stir.

Hey, I recently got my hands on an older CS-650 EVL (1983 or 84?). I ended up putting some new diaphragms/gaskets/needle into the Walbro HDB carb, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, and cleaned it up really well. Tuned it up, and lemme say - this thing is an animal. Very high torque - I can lean into a cut (with most my 230 lbs), and it doesn't even bog down. Do you know if this one is a "pre-Shindaiwa" model? *I do have some pics of it on my profile albums section*

Hey, I recently got my hands on an older CS-650 EVL (1983 or 84?). I ended up putting some new diaphragms/gaskets/needle into the Walbro HDB carb, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, and cleaned it up really well. Tuned it up, and lemme say - this thing is an animal. Very high torque - I can lean into a cut (with most my 230 lbs), and it doesn't even bog down. Do you know if this one is a "pre-Shindaiwa" model? *I do have some pics of it on my profile albums section*

Definetly pre Shinny. 650 and 660 very similar.

Back