Echo CS-2511T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/4 it is then!
It would help if I could run regular .050 1/4" chain, I have a couple other saws that run this size. Is the sprocket the same for 1/4 .043 and 1/4 .050?

And another question: I understand that the saw (at least here) comes with a carving bar, without a front sprocket. I have not worked with these. Is there any benefit to changing to a bar with a sprocket?

And another question: I understand that the saw (at least here) comes with a carving bar, without a front sprocket. I have not worked with these. Is there any benefit to changing to a bar with a sprocket?

The benefit to a guide bar with no tip sprocket is that you can use any chain you want within the specified groove width, as long as you have the correct drive sprocket.
For bigger saws the tip sprocket is advised when doing plunge cut, it does not really have any advantage otherwise. But of course if you use the upper side of the bar a lot...

Courtesy of mr.WYK and not to forget mr.SVK, the Makita 32 uses this chain and is at 1.35kw compared to the echo at 1.6kw with a .050 3/8 LP - watch and learn :rolleyes: :cheers:

Just keep in mind the echo and makita are not stock. The makita is ported, with a timing advance, and has modified primaries as well. The echo had a completely gutted exhaust with dual ports, but is otherwise stock.

Personally, I'm not a fan of 3/8 lp, tho. I prefer 325. It seems to jump the bars much less, but that could be me.

Just keep in mind the echo and makita are not stock. The makita is ported, with a timing advance, and has modified primaries as well. The echo had a completely gutted exhaust with dual ports, but is otherwise stock.

Personally, I'm not a fan of 3/8 lp, tho. I prefer 325. It seems to jump the bars much less, but that could be me.

However, the difference in your video represents the experience I had comparing those two saws (stock) pretty accurate, so I'd say it's still pretty truthfully shown.
Its the difference that matters to me, not the little extra hp you have gained on both :cheers:
I like the 325 too, at 50cc.

However, the difference in your video represents the experience I had comparing those two saws (stock) pretty accurate, so I'd say it's still pretty truthfully shown.
Its the difference that matters to me, not the little extra hp you have gained on both :cheers:
I like the 325 too, at 50cc.
What difference?

The Makita cuts fast and without effort - compared to just about anything, the Echo don't.
My saws are stock, but that's still exactly the difference.
Is not a fair comparison. The 4300 is heavily ported with a lot of cylinder work, including finger ports. They are both running the exact bar and chain though.

1/4 it is then!
It would help if I could run regular .050 1/4" chain, I have a couple other saws that run this size. Is the sprocket the same for 1/4 .043 and 1/4 .050?

The drive sprocket is the same .043 or .050. Not sure what the bar options are for you, but small nose is a big benefit. A hard nose carving bar will put a bit more friction into the system, but if that’s what comes with the saw I would just run with it. I run modded Stihl bars. .043, quarter size sprocket nose 12 or 14”.

Zero issues with the stock setup once ported. No jumping etc, just smooth cutting. That was my point. Added benefit, it cuts fast. In my 2511t build thread I have videos showing this. I bought a 1/4 setup first, then ported it and found the stock setup would have been just fine.

I find the 3/8lp harder to control one handed at full extension. The nose on the 3/8lp bars is also wider and more cumbersome. I make lots of cuts on the round of the nose. The skinny tip just fits in tighter spots. Here in the states it really does add some cost, though.

Recently bought one with the ECHO .043" (12") bar and chain. First trial had a little jumping but I'll chalk it up to lack of familiarity with the grips.
Love the weight and size. It will be great to hike out in the woods with for trail maintenance.
I have a Stihl .043" bar and chain to setup for comparison.

I totally want this saw. It's penny for penny the same price as a Stihl MS 193 T.
I'm torn between the two, mostly because so many folks around me are saying there is no other brand of saw; "get the stihl and don't look back."
If the Stihl MS 150 T was in the price range it would probably be the front runner, but the $600 price tag and 1/4" chain aren't cutting it.

That Echo CS2511T seems to check all the boxes: sub $400, good power, 3/8 chain, light weight, purge bulb, I don't think it has a metal bumper spike though. I just need to see another thread or two like this and I'll lean toward the tiny echo. Thanks for the review.

I currently have a borrowed MS 201 T and a CS 330 T on hand for trying out. Both run extremely well but are just a tad too big for my liking.

BTW my main uses will be trimming and pruning very small garden trees and palm trees and I'm an echo guy I guess. I've had a weed eater for over a decade now and it has never let me down. I've been able to tinker with it here and there and all in all I've been quite happpy with it.
I've a CS 2600 that's 20yrs old and showing it's age a bit but well looked after it's still going strong. Had the CS 2511t for over a year can't fault Echo. Stihl, Husqvarna and Johnsered are great at the top end but for me '40yrs in the tree business' Echo make the best small saws. Don't know about the bigger saws as I've never used one, could be on a par.

Latest posts

Back