Echo CS-370 VS CS-400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Analyst Man

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
New guy here trying to decide between the Echo CS 370 and the CS 400.

I’ve been reading lots of good comments and constructive criticism about the 370 in the post’s about them, and almost made up my mind to purchase one but started looking at the 400. The weight is almost identical, and other than approximately 4 more cc, I don’t see any differences. Do you guys have any preferences between the two? Does it come from the factory set too lean like the 370? Will the muffler modifications suggested for the 370 give the 400the same performance improvements?

Thanks in advance.

I have never un a 400 but own the 370. I dont think there is any differance save the 4CC. Usualy there is quite a differance between the two in price, more than I personaly would pay for 4CC. 36 or 40CC in use is trivial, just a limbing saw either way. You can bet either one will be so lean as shipped that it will barely run. Luckily the caps are easy to remove so the saw can be tuned to be operatable. Once past that the 370 is a decent cutter, with the cat knocked out of the muffler it is even better. The air cleaners are the best in the industry. My only minor complaint with it is the crankshaft operated oiler keeps right on oiling when you set it down running and seems to pump more oil at idle than wide open. The better part of the hack you read on here about Echo comes from people who have never owned one, or have never owned one less than 10 years old IMO.

Decisions decisions. Another part of the problem is I always find myself looking to go a little larger but really I don’t need to because I have an old Pro Mac 610 for larger stuff and it still runs and cuts great. This is just going to be for lighter work around the home. So I was also looking at the new CS450 which is only a pound heavier that the 400 and has a clutch driven oiler which might improve the excess oil at idle that you say the 370 has. I asked about the 450 on other forums but I can’t seem to find anyone who’s had any experience with it.

So I’m stuck trying to decide between the 370 the 400 and the 450.

Get the 400.

Muff mod'd 400:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcH2XbSqi58&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcH2XbSqi58&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have two CS-370's currently, and had a CS-400 which I sold late last Fall.

I did some time cutting between a muffler modded CS-370 and stock CS-400, and the CS-370 was 7 seconds faster. This was for 5 cuts in a Cherry log, 14" bars and 3/8" LP chains on both saws.

The CS-400 was pretty "fresh", having only 2 tanks thru it at the time of the testing. In any case, the CS-370 was faster, and the testing was repeated twice.

I also ran both against my Husqvarna 435, and it was right at 5 seconds faster than the CS-370. That's not much difference for 5 full cuts. The Husqvarna feels a lot faster, and enjoys high rpm's, where the Echo's have more of a "mid-range" engine. They do "grunt" very well for 37cc, and they are very fuel efficient.....Clif

I have a new ms 390 and a cs 370 with major muffler mods with a good tune and the echo will out cut the 64cc stihl both with good chains. I got echo new for 100 is only reason I got it I thought they were junk. Imho its best saw I've ever used and wouldn't trade it for the world.

"I did some time cutting between a muffler modded CS-370 and stock CS-400, and the CS-370 was 7 seconds faster. This was for 5 cuts in a Cherry log, 14" bars and 3/8" LP chains on both saws."

Cliff do you think the CS-400 would preform as well or possibly better with the same modifications as the 370?

Did you find it to be set as lean from the factory as the 370?

By the way, all this information is very helpfull as I'm trying to decide between the 370 and the 400. I've also been considering the CS-450.

That’s not a bad price for the CS 450 on EBay, but with shipping it will run me about $300. I live about ½ hr from Wisesales.com, and they sell them new for $344.99 (with an 18 inch bar). Seems like the new one would be the way to go, especially since I’d get the 5 year warranty too.

I also found out some information about clutch driven oilers, and that feature is leaning me toward the 450 instead of a 370 or 400.

Any thoughts about the oiler on the 450?

I have a fishing friend that asked me about a good saw and the Echo CS400 and the Husky 435 come in at his price point. Also the Stihl MS211. Of the three, which would anyone buy here?

More of a homeowner application. 1-2 cords a year at best.

I'll pass the information along.

Latest posts

Back