Echo cs-450 new member questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy a new 400 for around 200-225 from ebay. I have a 400 and 520. The 520 is the bigger brother to the 450. 50cc vs 45cc. Guess which saw is my favorite and gets used most when out cutting wood. Yep the 400. An awesome saw when you modded the muffler and pull the caps.:rock:

do you think i should tune it right outa the box? seems like the mufflers are simple to tear into i may do the mod before i even start the saw. turn counter clockwise is to richen correct? how do i go about removing the limiters on the adjustment screw? just trying to get a good idea until it shows up, im sure its fairly simple.

This to me sounds like you don't have the saw yet.

I have a few muff modded Cs400 saw that spanked my brothers stock Cs450 bad, after muff modding the Cs450 they cut about dead even. If I' d put that 3/8 lopro 6 tooth setup on the Cs450 it would outcut by some. With a muff modd and proper tuning the CS400 is hard to beat spanking a lot of 50cc homeowner saws and weighing 13# ready to cut vs 15-1/2 to almost 18# on the Stihl and Husky home owner saws, really a no brainer cuts fast, cheap, built good, cheap parts, handles great, easy to work on, nice wide powerband. Steve

i was removing my posts and didnt plan on being a member here but kind people changed my mind, if you dont have something positive to say or help to offer stay out of my thread. you have been warned.

mountainlake thank you very much, you are the kind of guy i want to talk to and have as part of this thread. did the 450 you modded have the offset cat? if so how did you go about gutting it? i think im doing to do this before i even fire it up. should i run it abit to warm up before i adjust the carb?

i was removing my posts and didnt plan on being a member here but kind people changed my mind, if you dont have something positive to say or help to offer stay out of my thread. you have been warned.

mountainlake thank you very much, you are the kind of guy i want to talk to and have as part of this thread. did the 450 you modded have the offset cat? if so how did you go about gutting it? i think im doing to do this before i even fire it up. should i run it abit to warm up before i adjust the carb?

We will gladly show you to the door. Proper sentences and punctuation are required here. You have been giving a lot of money saving and knowledgeable information about abandoning the cs 450 for the cs 400.

if that's the saw he wants then let it go. also the only one showing the door here is me. and if punctuation is required then half of the membership will have to leave. I deleted your post and then thought everyone needed to see it. If you have nothing nice to say about the saw then don't say it.

Last edited:
What Im sayin is, he tried to delete his post but he kept leaving a period. Hence his post remained as a period. That very easily could have been mistaken by some as a speck of dirt on their monitor.

True that, I have the 400/450/600/330 and the only complaint I have is, the bars are junk on the cs series. But they always start and I don't even mess with them much. MM opening the high jet.

Yes it had that %^*^& offset cat, I just drilled out out the best I could and ran a couple of holes out the front along the side of the cat plus made a deflector, do it however you can as that saw gains a lot with a muff modd. What's with all the snooty people on here, sure like to blast you if you don't do everything perfect. Steve

thanks for the responses, inside the muffler is the cat the size of the exhaust port or the entire inside? i dont quite understand what i read about drilling it out, if the muffler is thick enough to weld it, i could chop it open and tig weld it back together.

True that, I have the 400/450/600/330 and the only complaint I have is, the bars are junk on the cs series. But they always start and I don't even mess with them much. MM opening the high jet.

hi, what is different about the bars? i seen a 450p model that said something about a different bar and chain i think. yesterday i ordered a 20lpx078g chain that says its a chisel chain i plan to use the one that comes on it for a spare as i beleive its anti kickback.

thanks for the responses, inside the muffler is the cat the size of the exhaust port or the entire inside? i dont quite understand what i read about drilling it out, if the muffler is thick enough to weld it, i could chop it open and tig weld it back together.

If you can do that excelent! Many complain that the material is thin so they feel more comfortable with a drill but your method is of course perfect! Don't forget to retune!!!

Good luck and don't forget presenting pics here! We all love pics!
Btw I'm sure you will be very happy with your saw, I have heard nothing but praise about Echo products.

hi, what is different about the bars? i seen a 450p model that said something about a different bar and chain i think. yesterday i ordered a 20lpx078g chain that says its a chisel chain i plan to use the one that comes on it for a spare as i beleive its anti kickback.

P saws have an Oregon Power Match bar (instead of Pro-Lite), an LPX chain instead of Vanguard (3/8") or 33SL (.325"), and do not include the tip guard. LPX chain performs much better than 33SL.

P saws have an Oregon Power Match bar (instead of Pro-Lite), an LPX chain instead of Vanguard (3/8") or 33SL (.325"), and do not include the tip guard. LPX chain performs much better than 33SL.

on the echo webpage it says it has a 20bpx78cq and 33sl? what makes the oregon bar better? overall build quality or performance? would it still accept a .325?

They are all Oregon bars. The pro-lite bar is laminated with a fixed tip. The power match bar is solid and has a replaceable tip. The pro lite bar will be fine on you saw, lighter as well. Vanguard chain will work, but LPX is far better chain.

Latest posts

Back