Echo CS-490 DEAD after 11.5 months?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many here who use fuel fresh enough that the corn gas isn't an issue. Many claim that their equipment sits for months with it in it without issue. Different strokes...

They've had corn gas in your area for 34 years?o_O

Good point, I don't actually know how long we've had corn gas here, I only know that whatever they were serving I bought. How I long for the old Sunoco dial an octane days. I think 260 was 102 octane, we called it "racing" fuel. LOL!

dial.png

Alcohol vapes off way easier then gas and is also higher octane. They put impurities in the gas/alcohol fuel to bring the octane back down. If the alcohol vapes off you are left with gas that is much lower then the parent fuel. Plastic gas cans in the sun will **** gas with ethanol really fast.

Echo measures the power output of their saws at the tip of the bar as far as I know, others measure at the crank shaft (PTO). That accounts for the difference (lower rating).
????

There is a difference in power rating when measuring past the drive train rather than engine PTO power...
Yah ... I’m purty sure they run them on a Dyno ; if you are making a comparison on a vehicle between hp at the crank and hp at the tires it CAN be measured this way ... A chainsaw has no wheels lol !!!

Yah ... I’m purty sure they run them on a Dyno ; if you are making a comparison on a vehicle between hp at the crank and hp at the tires it CAN be measured this way ... A chainsaw has no wheels lol !!!
True, but just moving the chain (chain weight, chain internal friction, drive sprocket, etc), and the friction between the bar and chain both equate to lost energy. So if you're looking to measure how much energy is actually cutting the wood, measuring at the bar sprocket is as close to "measuring at the wheels" as you're going to get.

True, but just moving the chain (chain weight, chain internal friction, drive sprocket, etc), and the friction between the bar and chain both equate to lost energy. So if you're looking to measure how much energy is actually cutting the wood, measuring at the bar sprocket is as close to "measuring at the wheels" as you're going to get.
Yah ... I understand physics ... it seems odd that Everyone except echo measures at the crank ... do you have a pic of this “bar tip “ Dyno ? Wood love to see it lol ! I believe the actual loss is about 1/2 hp and up depending on length of bar and chain ... I dub it “parasitic drag” !!!

Yah ... I understand physics ... it seems odd that Everyone except echo measures at the crank ... do you have a pic of this “bar tip “ Dyno ? Wood love to see it lol ! I believe the actual loss is about 1/2 hp and up depending on length of bar and chain ... I dub it “parasitic drag” !!!
Don't have a pic, just adding the perspective to the discussion. It's really only truely relevant if others measure at the crank with nothing attached.

Alcohol vapes off way easier then gas and is also higher octane. They put impurities in the gas/alcohol fuel to bring the octane back down. If the alcohol vapes off you are left with gas that is much lower then the parent fuel. Plastic gas cans in the sun will **** gas with ethanol really fast.
If my mix isn't used in a month I feed it to what ever car has more gas in it. I'm just a firewood hack so I only mix a gallon at a time. I'm probly one of the few guys here that likes e85 in the right situation also :yes:.

Echo measures the power output of their saws at the tip of the bar as far as I know, others measure at the crank shaft (PTO). That accounts for the difference (lower rating).
This would be very interesting if true. Can you substantiate this claim?

Well I must admit this is a new unheard of concept to me. If this is true, why do so many reccomend breaking in a new 50/1 engine with 40/1 mix? And isn't leanness controlled by the air/fuel mixture screw? 14 parts air to 1 part gas + oil is optimum in any 2 cycle engine. But the gas to oil ratios are determined by engine tollerances.
Never heard that. I simply run the Hi needle a bit richer.

Back