Echo cs-490 vs Makita/Dolmar 5121/510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs-490 or Dolkita 5121

• Dolkita

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Echo

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
EA4300/Dolmar 421 with 16" bar and .325 Oregon chain works for me.
Really nice to run, weight is very comfortable for a full days work, super easy to start, runs stronger than its 42/43cc rating, sips gas, pro suspension/shock absorption, magnesium case, quality pro level feel, a full-off starter switch (something I wish the new Husky's had not done away with).

Easy to pull the cat for some more juice and cooler operation.

Any wood under 12"/14" it's my go-to saw, even more so nowadays than my tippy but dear old 346xp OE.

Only thing I don't like about the EA4300 is the plastic chain catcher built into the side cover, but I can live with that as I seldom throw a chain.

Haven't ran the echo, might be a great saw, but that little metal toggle starter switch thingy, nah, just doesn't work for me.

490 is my go to saw if a 16" bar will get the job done. There' a Domar dealer 5 minutes away but my echo dealer has always treated me good. The dealer maid the difference in what brand saw I run. But the dolkita dealer will probably get my money when I break down and buy the 79xx I don't need but have wanted forever.

The 421 looks really nice and I found it! well dcs4300F which I believe is the same unit for $400 after tax at my local mom n pop hardware store. Though they told me for service I should go to the other shop in town where they only stock echo/stihl,husky parts and have to order out overseas for Makita stuff as they dont sell the Makita. So it appears my decision is made for me. They are also adamant the echo 490 will out perform the Makita/Dolmar 4300/421. Since they are roughly the same weight with the echo packing 50CC more I tend to believe them.

I'm just gonna leave this right here....
Dolkita EA4300/421 getting it done in the big wood. Wood like this is the reason I bought/built a 6400/7910 conversion.

So am I guessing right that you don't use the wood for firewood?
I spent a month passing through Athens Greece in 1971 and it was always very nice and warm.

So am I guessing right that you don't use the wood for firewood?
I spent a month passing through Athens Greece in 1971 and it was always very nice and warm.

I typically use olive wood. The pine in the photo was cut for a lady that had a permit and she does use it for burning. She asked for it to be cut into 'pizza' slices and she throws that whole chunk in the fireplace. I went back after I got my 7910 all sorted and make quick work of this pile. A lot of noodles that day!

Nice. I bet it changed in some ways and in others is still the same since the 1970's. I came here when I was in the military. Worked for 2 years then left and came back after I finished my service. I actually live about an hour outside of Athens on the island of Evia.

The 421 looks really nice and I found it! well dcs4300F which I believe is the same unit for $400 after tax at my local mom n pop hardware store. Though they told me for service I should go to the other shop in town where they only stock echo/stihl,husky parts and have to order out overseas for Makita stuff as they dont sell the Makita. So it appears my decision is made for me. They are also adamant the echo 490 will out perform the Makita/Dolmar 4300/421. Since they are roughly the same weight with the echo packing 50CC more I tend to believe them.

You really can't make a bad choice with any of the saws you have mentioned, especially for your needs. Dealer support, unless you are adept at wrenching on saws, is one of the more important factors in your decision. Warranty support is great to have and you should take advantage. Remember, as many have suggested, a muffler mod will wake these saws up performance wise, but it will put your warranty to 'bed'. Make sure you review your warranty information and adhere to whatever manufacturer requires in order to stay within the limits of what the warranty will cover. A muffler mod will most likely void the warranty. Many of us here maintain our own saws and ignore warranty stuff for the most part, so make sure you are making the best choice for you and your saw.

:cheers:

You are going to believe someone at the local hardware store who doesn’t service or even have parts rather than a bunch of saw freaks?

Good luck. I think you are getting confused at this point.

With a muff modd, tuned good the CS490 will out perform a 421, as the 490 comes with the clogged up muff and lean tuning its doggy. As with most Echo models huge gains with a muff modd and tuning. Echo get by the EPA bs by clogging up the muff on purpose. Steve

So buy an Echo, modify as required, sacrifice 5 yr warranty, and live happily ever after.

Or live with a doggy saw.

Hmmmm.

If by the very slim chance you need to use the warranty of the Echo just buy a used muffler and new limiter caps, maybe you should try a Echo and you could live happily ever after. Steve

I just bought a CS590 a short while ago. I haven't tried it yet. It appears to be a decent piece of equipment. It is obviously not tuned to be a snappy saw, but I think I will like it anyway.

The 590 is the only "Ranch" saw I own, the others are all "pro" saws. I think I will like it anyway. I know I don't like the Husky "Ranch" saws whatsoever. I don't like the way they make their power.

Anyway, I like the feel of the CS490 (just flopping it around, not running). I am very interested in a 501.

The 421 is a wicked little saw out of the box. Based on reading only, the 490 is NOT a wicked little saw out of the box.

I just bought a CS590 a short while ago. I haven't tried it yet. It appears to be a decent piece of equipment. It is obviously not tuned to be a snappy saw, but I think I will like it anyway.

The 590 is the only "Ranch" saw I own, the others are all "pro" saws. I think I will like it anyway. I know I don't like the Husky "Ranch" saws whatsoever. I don't like the way they make their power.

Anyway, I like the feel of the CS490 (just flopping it around, not running). I am very interested in a 501.

The 421 is a wicked little saw out of the box. Based on reading only, the 490 is NOT a wicked little saw out of the box.

I believe that is the consensus. The 421 and the 5105 are both wicked saws straight off the line. They get even better when you remove the catalytic converter and tune them a bit. They produce 3.0 and 3.9 HP, respectively, and are price competitive with farm/ranch/homeowner saws by other manufacturers. I never noticed until we started discussing on this thread that Echo doesn't advertise the HP of 490 and 590 readily. You have to look into the details and specs to find the HP. :pingpong:

yup, and outright horsepower #s do not tell the whole story. Far from it. The nature of the power is more important. That's why I like my old Jonny 590's power the best of my saws. They rip AND they torque. So does the Dolmar 420/421.

IDK about the cs490.

I believe the CS590 is a torquer and I want to find out.

I wouldn't say the 421 is "wicked" out of the box....

Nice solid saw, definitely.

Same with the 490. Nice out the box.

Since everyone is talking muffler mods.

Dolmar ya have to remove the cat, drill/grind the spotwelds

Echo, remove the 2 deflector screws and pull the baffle. Simple as that.

Dolmar also comes standard with a spur sprocket.. vs the rim on the echo.

Had the cat removed and rim sprocket conversion. Few tanks through the saw.
Stihl picco full chisel chain and a good tune.

100% out of the box. Factory semi chisel chain. No carb tune.

Ported 490 with the same bar and chain as the dolmar.

Latest posts

Back