Echo cs 490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Miller

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a cs 590 and just picked up a cs490 and was wondering what people who have some time on these saws think of them. Do they pick up noticeably after 8 to 10 tanks like my 590 did? Already pulled the caps and took the restrictive tube out of the muffler and opened the deflector saw is very quiet even with the muff opened up.IMG_20160303_151224.jpg

I was looking at one... With the trans covers and light weight they look like a good option.

Funny your the member I was holding would answer this I searched and read a lot on Google before I decided to join and your always in the echo threads. Thank you for responding

Funny your the member I was holding would answer this I searched and read a lot on Google before I decided to join and your always in the echo threads. Thank you for responding
No need to thank me but I am glad you like the posts. My echos all took 5-7 tanks to really wake up but they all enjoy running red armor 40:1 and are all stronger with a nice muffler mod. Have you measures the squish?

Have not measured squish but I read the mastermind 500p thread on Google before joining, and remember seeing something in it about the odd shaped ports and how a base gasket delete may actually hurt performance more then help with the stock timing numbers.

A little more info. I run the echo full synthetic mix oil in the grey bottle at around 40 to 45:1. I had to open the high speed jet on the 490 3/4 turn from factory to get it to 4 stroke. Now it has the tube removed under the deflector and the front of the deflector opened up, its the first saw I have ever modded in any way. When the rains stop I'll be trying to fine tune in the log in the photo above

Sounds good, ID guess that a gasket delete would not hurt a small saw at all but hard to saw without the #s infront of me... I'd wait til it's broken in to really tear down.

Yah I'll leave the 490 with just the muff opened up for now the 590 has about 10 tanks on it so that might get a gasket delete if the squish is high. You think a 24 inch bar is to much for the 590. I know of one guy in my part of PA running a 27 on his but that seems like bigger saw territory to me

I put a 30" skip tooth B/C on my 600P couple of weeks ago and it did pretty good with it. I had a few stumps to cut off and recently sold my 181SE so mounted the bar up on the 600P and went at it. The 600P is close to the CS-590 in power, so I'd think the 590 would do fine with a 24" bar on it........Cliff

24" or 27" is fine... Muffler mod will help but they are torqy

Thank you cliff. So full comp on a 24 would be fine?

Absolutely. The 600P didn't grumble at all pulling the 30" skip tooth set-up. The only thing I'd add here is that the oil hole in the Husqvarna large mount bar isn't optimal and needs to be opened up slightly, but it worked OK for the little job I was doing at the time......Cliff

The 620 is a hot rod compared to the 590 wish my brother would buy my 590 so I could pick up a 620pw I really like the look of the full wrap but more power at close to the same weight is always good

My brother wares stihl goggles and two very good friends bleed husky orange so I catch **** from all directions for running echo saws. Its nice to know not everyone thinks there junk. They have an 028, a 359 husky and a 455. The 359 is the only one I think is a nice saw. The 028 is a problem child

I would really like to take a 490 apart and mess with it!

I got to play with the 490 a couple weeks ago. Not a bad little saw but could tell it really was restricted on it's breathing. Would like to try one with a mm

Latest posts

Back