Echo cs-600p owners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the review, mow.

i do see more here than just looking like stihl though. the 600p is unlike the cs-520 and cs-440 style saws and their clamshell bolted to metal frame. this one is a vertically split case! see below. i bet the saw is weak, i have no reason to doubt your review. but i do see potential here. who knows, a little port work and a muff mod and this thing might rrrrrip!!!

600p.jpg

Why should you have to do those things in order to gain power. They are some of the weakest saws out there and I just don't see them ever catching up.

Why should you have to do those things in order to gain power. They are some of the weakest saws out there and I just don't see them ever catching up.

no, no, i don't think you should have to do anything to a saw to catch up.
i'm with you on that!!!

what i am saying is that it is more than just a lookalike stihl copy. echo really does seem to be moving in the right direction with this saw (on paper).

my comment on porting is more directed at those of us who like to tinker and may pick one up on ebay or at a pawn shop cheap and mod the snot out of it.

The CS-510 is a split case, pretty sure the CS-440 is as well. The CS-370 and CS-400 are clamshell designs.

The CS-510 has great power and responds extremely well to opening up the restrictive muffler. The CS-440 I had, didn't respond well at all. Rumor has it that the porting in the CS-440 isn't nearly as generous as the CS-510, but I've never had them down that far to compare.....Cliff

afraid not cliff.
the 520 is constructed the same way.... a clamshell bolted in to a mag frame. the cs440 is undoubtedly the same as i have dismantled, pop-up and ported it. the 670 is/was a split though.

cs510:
510.jpg

We demo'd some at a recent dealers meeting, they put them up against comparable STIHL saws with new chains on both, both fully warmed and box stock...and the Echo outcut the stihl by a noticeable margin every time.

We've got some on order last i checked, the 600P is just plain ol fun, It's got the torque of the 680-8000 but revs like the smaller saws. And as always, easy to start and operate.

We demo'd some at a recent dealers meeting, they put them up against comparable STIHL saws with new chains on both, both fully warmed and box stock...and the Echo outcut the stihl by a noticeable margin every time.

We've got some on order last i checked, the 600P is just plain ol fun, It's got the torque of the 680-8000 but revs like the smaller saws. And as always, easy to start and operate.

Was that against the MS361 - 362 or the MS 310 -390? Steve

I ran it. Just another weak saw. They keep upgrading their equipment to look more like Stihl. While they make them look better they will never be able to duplicate the power.
The rep told me that as soon as the chain wore down he would be putting Stihl chain on it to make it cut faster. LOL.....

Hey Mow When you run Echo saws you need to squeeze the throttle, at idle they are close to a Stihl. with the throttle squeezed. Steve

"afraid not cliff.
the 520 is constructed the same way.... a clamshell bolted in to a mag frame."

Bummer, I've never had the cover off of mine, just figured it had a bolt on P/C because of the split/seam in the front of the case.

I've been running the CS-510 since 2004, with zero issues anyplace. About all I've done to it is clean the automotive style air filter and replace chains.....Cliff

Was that against the MS361 - 362 or the MS 310 -390? Steve

I want to say there were 2 larger stihls, I beleive it was a 390 and a 361, it blew the doors off the 390, but the 361 was closer.

The interesting thing was the fact that you could lean on the 600P and the revs and exhaust note didnt really change, very consistant.

Id put the 600P at a solid 4.75hp-5.00hp, honestly, based on other manufacturers ratings and real life experiences. And all this is done without strato-charging.

Im interested to know what a simple muffler mod and retune could do for this saw...I think 5.75hp is easily within reach, probaby much more with a mild port and mill for compression.

There isnt a darn thing wrong with how the 440/520 style saws are put together, ask any echo dealer/rep...there is no record of failures related to the engine design.

There isnt a darn thing wrong with how the 440/520 style saws are put together, ask any echo dealer/rep...there is no record of failures related to the engine design.

theres more to it than that and you know it.
it is a good design but that doesn't keep it from being a piss-poor design.
understand where i'm going with this?

theres more to it than that and you know it.
it is a good design but that doesn't keep it from being a piss-poor design.
understand where i'm going with this?

No, I dont.

The crankshaft is solidly supported and held in perfect alignment at all times, the crankcase is completely metal, and all seals and bearings are encased in metal, and the metal crankcase is solidly mounted with 4 screws to a metal cradle...never sxperienced a spun bearing, blown seal, or case failure, even on the most badly abused and misused saws with this design.

However, Ive seen numerous huskys and poulans with a metal cylinder bolted to a plastic housing...it just doesnt work that way...

No, I dont.

The crankshaft is solidly supported and held in perfect alignment at all times, the crankcase is completely metal, and all seals and bearings are encased in metal, and the metal crankcase is solidly mounted with 4 screws to a metal cradle...never sxperienced a spun bearing, blown seal, or case failure, even on the most badly abused and misused saws with this design.

no you don't see it.
it is a fine design.
but it still sucks.

reliable, sturdy, foolproof.
heavy, slow, weak.

a honda civic is all of those things in the first line.
but wouldn't you rather have that old vette?

do you see it now?

Volks-man

It is funny that you suggested the mention to the echo dist. I did and quess what:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

Volks-man

It is funny that you suggested the mention to the echo dist. I did and quess what:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

javelin,
i hope that you have been reading me the right way.
i have always been in support of echo. i own two running echos and a few that i plan to fix. i like echo just fine.
what red isn't seeing is that regardless of build quality there are other saws out there that people would rather run.

there is more to it than just building a reliable product.

i am truly interested in the 600p. i still think that it has great potential.
if you are going to recieve one for evaluation, i'd love to hear all about it.

Last edited:
I agree with you echo just does not have the following in saws. However they seem to be trying to change that. Maybe they have looked at all the ground dolmar has gained and have decided to go for it with there larger dealer network they could make some real noise. The 600 could be a definte homerun for them if it performs. I have been interested in this saw for a long time even before it was available in the states I would bug my dist. who acted like it did not exist There is a couple of other new models comming in this style so we shall see how she does. Maybe I can post some video of it running against a 361 or a comparable Jonsered! I guess we could see how it does against a 6400 or better yet a 7900:laugh: Seriously I have high hopes for it as it could fill a void that I have in my saw offerings!

javelin,
i hope that you have been reading me the right way.
i have always been in support of echo. i own two running echos and a few that i plan to fix. i like echo just fine.
what red isn't seeing is that regardless of build quality there are other saws out there that people would rather run.

there is more to it than just building a reliable product.

i am truly interested in the 600p. i still think that it has great potential.
if you are going to recieve one for evaluation, i'd love to hear all about it.

If I can take a clamshell Echo and put it through the same rigors as a split case Stihl, with both lasting over 1000 hours before they eventually wore their rings out, but the echo costs less, easier to repair, cheaper to repair, easier to start and easier to operate...why wouldnt I want to run the echo?

just saying..

Echo found that the clamshell design is more than adequate, very durable, less complicated, less expensive...why not use it???

Power output ratings arent affected by the kind of case it has...only durability and ease of repair, and the clamshell design has both of those categories wrapped up.

Short block a CS-520..all new shortblock includes a factory sealed motor assembly with crank, bearings, seals, top end installed, piston/ring/pin, etc, ready to drop on..takes about 35 minutes to do..

Replace the crank, crank seals, crank bearings, and top end on a stihl...and you get boxes of individual parts, and get to break the case seal...press out the crank and bearings, install the new seals, bearings, remove all gasket material, not to mention the fact that you've completely torn down the entire saw to do this...probably 2.25 hours..

And add the fact that there is a contamination risk, case seal risk, breakage risk with all the pulling and pressing of interference fit parts...

What's all this BS about clamshell engines, MOST engines nowdays are designed that way, it sure makes installing new bearing a lot easier . On the Echo CS520 I got off Ebay with a burnt up jug and piston (limiter caps still on) it may took 10 minutes more to change the jug and piston than a split case model. the only down side is you can't cut the deck height which 99% of the people don't do anyway. The CS510 - 530 have BIG closed ports in the cylinder and they run like it with a muffler mod and carb tuning. These Echo saws are built well compared to Husky and Stihl home owner saws. Steve

Just reading some of the above post, some people really talk out of both side of their ears, maybe they shouldn't talk at all. The only possible downside to Echo saws that are a clam shell design would be if you wanted to cut the deck height. They for sure are built with high quality parts and easy to work on. Steve

Last edited:
I want to say there were 2 larger stihls, I beleive it was a 390 and a 361, it blew the doors off the 390, but the 361 was closer.

The interesting thing was the fact that you could lean on the 600P and the revs and exhaust note didnt really change, very consistant.

Id put the 600P at a solid 4.75hp-5.00hp, honestly, based on other manufacturers ratings and real life experiences. And all this is done without strato-charging.

Im interested to know what a simple muffler mod and retune could do for this saw...I think 5.75hp is easily within reach, probaby much more with a mild port and mill for compression.

The Stihl MS 390 is rated at 4.3 hp and the MS361 at 4.4 hp yet the 361 cuts a lot faster, just another case of Stihl trying to fool John Q Public with their BS HP numbers, another case is the 3.2 hp MS260 that cuts about the same as the 3.8hp MS290. Steve

I have had good luck with Echo saws myself. I have never even seen the new 600 though. How much does it weigh?

Back